being influenced by other writers

PaulGuterl

• Members

When you read a set of lyrics, or hear them, and you think that the song writer has a unique writing style or a way of phrasing his lyrics that you really enjoy how can you take those ideas without sounding like you are either ripping the person off, or having it sound stupid?

Can writers be influenced by other writers in the same, or similar way that musicians can be influenced by other musicians?

• Members

When you read a set of lyrics, or hear them, and you think that the song writer has a unique writing style or a way of phrasing his lyrics that you really enjoy how can you take those ideas without sounding like you are either ripping the person off, or having it sound stupid?

Can writers be influenced by other writers in the same, or similar way that musicians can be influenced by other musicians?

the answer to both questions is yes. the real question is how? the answer to that is, time. time spent writing and recording and singing in cover bands and singing along with the stereo. time spent immersing yourself in music, reading the newspaper and basicly time spent living. your voice/style will begin to emerge. you also must practice, and more importantly, you must know how to practice. and you just have to keep writing. you will write some gems and you will write some crap. you just have to keep doing it. imho.

peace, jeff

• Members

Definitely, when I seek inspiration from other writers or musicians, I try to hear what is inspiring me then apply it to what I'm writing. Sometimes it works, sometimes I do end up sounding like I ripped it off. When that happens, I try to modify it with my more of my own ideas to see if I can keep the small bit of inspiration from the aforementioned artist without it being to obvious. Although, sometimes its ok to wear your influences on your sleeve. As long as it isn't completely ripping that artist off.

Wow, I hope that helped. Reading my post over, it seems to come off as a bunch of rambling. Hopefully that's just me and it's not true.

Edit: hey, I'm not to far from you. I live in a small town called East Troy, or more commonly known as Alpine Valley Music Theatre/Ski Resort.

• Members

Some very good writers have gone through early periods where their influences were a little more obvious -- and sometimes more awkward -- than they might have liked, looking back.

Way, way, way back when I picked up an album by an artist I'd never heard of (out of the cut out bin for about 40 cents) with a really distinctive cover... I was listening to a lot of Dylan when I got the record -- and I liked this Dylanesque artist really well.

But my pals gave me loads of static over the album -- slagging it pretty mercilessly... I think the word puerile was used.

Anyhow... flash forward a whole life/career... the artist from that album ended his (too brief) life with a reputation as one of the better American songwriters: Townes Van Zandt.

That first album was stolen from my collection back in '74 or so. (Actually with [most of] my collection.)

But I was intrigued to find that first album in my new music subscription service's stacks and put it on the other day...

It was... embarrassing. There were some songs that showed real promise, to be sure, and a couple of pretty good ones...

But there was also plenty of awkward, worshipful pseudo-Dylan -- even down to Van Zandt using some words and paralleling some constructions from Dylan's masterpiece, "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands." And it was... well, embarrassing. (And he wasn't even that young, at that point... he would have been 25.)

But he ended up being one of the more respected songwriters of the last few decades of the 20th century.

So... you know.

It's a phase.

If you're lucky.

;)

• Members

I think the best route to go is to familiarize yourself with other types of writing besides just song lyrics. Read fiction, non fiction, poetry, the newspaper, magazines, etc. That way when you hear a song that inspires you, you'll have more to draw from than just other songs, and you'll be more able to develop your own writing style.

It does appear to be generally more acceptable to "borrow" musical elements from other songs, yet borrowing lyrics seems to be a pet peeve for many music enthusiasts. I don't really know why that is.

• Members

;)

It does appear to be generally more acceptable to "borrow" musical elements from other songs, yet borrowing lyrics seems to be a pet peeve for many music enthusiasts. I don't really know why that is.

I think it may to do with anyone could pick up an instument and within a couple of years be pretty good at palying (said instument) and comming up with there own music.

Lyric (be it poetry or lyrics for songs) tend to be a lot harder (for most too grasp the hold of) especially if you are trying to write your own songs/ poems in your own style and format. I think the lyrics (written in your own style) are the hardest part of unique and own style songs.

You just have to look at "cover" bands or "cover" songs or "tribute" bands for an example of this. Most of the cases the musicans can play the instuments and can (if the play on covers or/and tributes) write songs and play with there own style. Most cover bands and tribute bands come about due to the fact that they can't write there own lyrics but are good with there instuments so decide to hide behind the cover or tribute label.

It's the same with modern day pop music (X-Factor Pop Idols etc) as long as they can sing they can sing anyone of SOMEONE elses lyrics (even athough they have no talent to write there own lyrics and that is why they are on these kinds of shows in the 1st place)

I see nothing personal wrong with being influanced by other artistds as long as your not directly steeling. I mean musicans do it with music all the time

I just find the more talented artists are the writters (poems/ song lyric writters) as anyone can pick up a guitar and learn how to play with lyrics it's not so easy.

Just my two cents

• Members

I think cover and tribute bands come about more because in some markets that's where the money is.

Let's face it, not all areas of the US (and presumably the rest of the world) are equally urbane, cosmopolitan, or art/creativity friendly.

I've driven across much of this great land of ours and there are vast stretches where your basic arty, outsider band with quirky originals -- a band that might thrive in LA, SF, New York Boston, or one of the big river towns (NO, Memphis, St Louis) or university towns -- will simply not be able to make a dime -- and that's a lot of places in the US -- not necessarily out in the sticks.

Whereas a hard-working cover band will pack them in night after night down at the roadhouse or the shopping mall dance club.

If you want to make a living at music (and particularly if you don't want to tour constantly) -- you often have to make some very fundamental compromises.

That's why I kept my day job.

;)

• Members

[quote=blue2blue;24602297

Whereas a hard-working cover band will pack them in night after night down at the roadhouse or the shopping mall dance club.

;)

U just backed my point totally man it's due to the bands not being creative enough to make people stand up and listen. Due mostly there's nothing enventiavly knew there to listen to. If there was the public would listen

Archived