Feedback on songs.

Drumas funk

• Members

I just got Reason about a week and a half ago. Just trying out some ideas, tell me what you think.

http://www.soundclick.com/drumasfunk

I've been trying to stick to themes, as a kind of execise to get the idea of doing different types of concepts for each song. They're pretty rough and need some work, so I'd like to get some feedback early on.

• Members

Sound pretty good... I guess you're going for a soundtracky kind of thing. The moody strings evolving into the synth works pretty well to mark a presumed change in scene or action.

The Guides Are Dead starts out pretty promisngly but gets a little same-y toward the end. The crown ride also sounds like it needs to be varied a little bit... it started sounding overly repetitive.

But I think you're definitely headed in the right direction if I understand your general intent!

:)

• Members

The Crown Ride?

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't initially aiming for the soundtrack vibe, but after a little while, I could hear it so I decided to run with it.

I agree with you about The Guides Are Dead. I'm not sure where to go with it just yet. Hopefully I find a good direction for it.

The strings on Family Business are a bit rough, I plan on cleaning them up sometime. For now these are pretty much ideas.

• Members

Er, yeah... I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing... I meant the repeating strike on the cymbal crown, the 'ding' if you will. I think it was on the right side of the stereo field. I think what I was getting at was that I felt like maybe you should vary the velocity on it a little to give it a little more 'momentum' (I feel like, when it's apparent that a sound is simply repeating, that it steals the forward momentum of a song... that said, I think the highly repetitive trance music is trancey for just that reason... you get the same thing happening over and over and over at 130-140+ beats per minute for five or ten minutes and it no doubt puts one in a different place -- a place I know I don't want to go to, or go to anymore, but, you know, whatever. It ain't about me. :D )

• Members

Ah yes, very good observation. I'll definitely give it a shot to see what I can get out of it.

I was thinking you were referring to another song with the crown ride, my mistake.

Once again thank you for the feedback, this is what I need to develope my writing.

• Members

Thanks for the reply.

Your signature is great. I hate it in the sense that it applies to me and is a very ugly truth, but it is a truth, and I can't deny it.

Also I'm going to put a new song on soundclick, so if guys would like, it should be up by tomorrow.

Archived