"Every Door" - my first post in the Songwriting forum

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

wow...well done, very marketable...

i will admit that i won't listen to it again, due to an aversion to this sort of song's ambience, but i imagine tons will enjoy it...

nice job with the vox, though i might have rephrased (melodically) some lines, but you can't argue with solid results like this.

good job.

• Members

Fender&EHX4ever

Congrats on getting this to the #2 position in its genre chart at SC. It's very polished. :)

With the evident skills and expertise that went into this track, I'm hoping you'll find yourself wanting to participate in our discussions on the craft of songwriting and perhaps join in our workshop type critiques of works in progress, perhaps even bringing your own new work in along the way to discuss and get feedback.

Good job!

;)

• Members

Thanks for listening and for encouraging me FranklinPearl and blue2blue. I will definitely be participating in the forum. I love the Effects forum, but I'm running out of responses for "What's the best fuzz pedal?" :lol: I'm eager to listen to your songs and contribute to your threads as well :thu: Cheers!

• Members

I'd missed that there are not keyboards on this... that's really interesting. I'd just assumed...

So... I can figure out everything else (I used to do an echo loop imrov collaboration [me on keys] with a guitarist who had a very developed, synth-like sound all generated by an utterly bewildering forest of pedal boxes -- he often sounded more like synths than I did) but -- is the bass from a bass guitar? That resonance filter really makes it sound synth like.

• Members

with a guitarist who had a very developed, synth-like sound all generated by an utterly bewildering forest of pedal boxes -- he often sounded more like synths than I did) but -- is the
bass
from a bass guitar? That resonance filter really makes it sound synth like.

The most striking texture is coming from the EHX MicroSynth, but I'm using quite a number of other effects as well to get the synthetic atmosphere. There is real bass guitar in there with some phaser on it to give it that filtered funk sound. Other than the drum programming, there are no loops. I try to do my guitar work in whole wavs when possible. There are only two overdubs happening with the guitars - the spacy orchestral swells, and the guitar solo. The staccato rhythm stuff is one guitar sent through different effects into panned stereo channels.

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a technical thread. I actually spend a lot of time writing most of my songs on an acoustic first. In the future, I will post a song in its more raw form, because it's always interesting to hear how others interpret the direction it can take.

222613.jpg

• Members

Welcome aboard, mate. This song has a very different vibe than those I've heard here recently, it's a nice breath of fresh air. I like the array of musical textures you've created. The one thing that bothers me a little is the panning. While I don't mind you having the instruments panned in specific places, I think since you've got a very atmospheric sound going on why not play with the panning more. I'd like to hear the instruments float around a little more. For example with your bassline, you could have it come it once on the left, once on the right, then double it or go center. Just some more ideas. I like to hear balance personally, and I think keeping an instrument locked onto 1 side is boring if not a little annoying. (actually, it can be REALLY annoying in some songs I've heard, this one isn't too bad though =P)

That being said, an excellent song and a very intriguing use of effects. I would like to know exactly what you did to get those sounds and how they could be replicated without your exact equipment. I might steal that bass sound you have going =P

• Members

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a technical thread.

No worries - it's "Be Nice to Newcomers" month. :wave:

Seriously, I don't think there is any problem posting technical threads - it just usually comes up in the context of a particular song. So basically, we don't have a lot of "What's the best pedal" threads, but we do frequently have "What would be the best pedal for this song" threads.

Archived