McCain Sued for Stealing Music

MrSandMan

• Members

Not sure if this was posted or not, but even so, it's probably buried

http://www.gear-vault.com/jackson-browne-sues-mccain-over-song-infringemen/

I figure today is the perfect day to post a new thread about "McCain" since he is so hot right now.

So why does he think music is free and he is entitled to use it at will? Jackson Browne doesn't even like McCain.

And I'm surprised the media (CNN, MSNBC) didn't pounce all over him for this.

Way to go McCain! :cop:

• Members
And I'm surprised the media (CNN, MSNBC) didn't pounce all over him for this.

Way to go McCain!
:cop:

Well, in addition to the above... this is his PR guys. It's not like McCain had a great idea for an ad, called up Jackson, got denied, and did it anyways. He's not in control of this stuff at a low level, and again.. it looks to me like they have permission. You don't need the artists permission to use a song usually. You can get rights from labels, and it can be as cheap as 200 bucks. For all you know the GOP bought rights to that song when it came out and every top 40 since for pennies.

• Members

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Looks like the Gear Vault peeps outsourced their work to the HC Forum administrators.

• Members

That's the reason for the lawsuit. The article is vague. It looked to me like he probably HAS permission, but not the right kind because of an implied endorsement.

Well, in addition to the above... this is his PR guys. It's not like McCain had a great idea for an ad, called up Jackson, got denied, and did it anyways. He's not in control of this stuff at a low level, and again.. it looks to me like they have permission. You don't need the artists permission to use a song usually. You can get rights from labels, and it can be as cheap as 200 bucks. For all you know the GOP bought rights to that song when it came out and every top 40 since for pennies.

Yep, people don't understand PROs.

• Members
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Looks like the Gear Vault peeps outsourced their work to the HC Forum administrators.

G-V is getting insane amount of traffic..(which is a good thing)

- I need to upgrade the servers. :mad:

• Members
McCain used "Right Now" today introducing his new VP(Mrs. WTF WAS HE THINKING!?) without Van Halen's permission...and they're pissed too. They didn't even have the decency to ASK??
:facepalm:

I didn't tivo it, but I seem to remember that being part of the ceremony, as opposed to the broadcast/editing. That being the case, I would think that the venue only needed an ASCAP deal like a bar.

It's like if you overhear Welcome to the Jungle during a baseball broadcast. The stadium is playing it, and they have the agreement. I don't think Axl gets a penny because a mic picks up his song.

Also, did they actually let any of the vox go over the wire? Those can be different licenses too. In EVH's case, if he gets his panties in a bunch, I'd ask him where an icon like him was when all the tab sites were getting shut down by ASCAP.

• Members

I didn't tivo it, but I seem to remember that being part of the ceremony, as opposed to the broadcast/editing. That being the case, I would think that the venue only needed an ASCAP deal like a bar.

It's like if you overhear Welcome to the Jungle during a baseball broadcast. The stadium is playing it, and they have the agreement. I don't think Axl gets a penny because a mic picks up his song.

Also, did they actually let any of the vox go over the wire? Those can be different licenses too. In EVH's case, if he gets his panties in a bunch, I'd ask him where an icon like him was when all the tab sites were getting shut down by ASCAP.

When it comes to royalties from the PROs, it is all about the intent of the use of the songs. If the use is designed to generate more business (which a McCain rally doesn't) then the PRO has a right to collect fees for this. Restaraunts and businesses are good examples. So are football stadiums and other venues where music is either used or performed.

How it trickles down to the artist is on a contract basis.

Archived