any hughes and kettner users out there???

wilg8

• Members

I bought a brand new Hughes and Kettner Tube 50 head when they first came out. It arrived, plugged er into my Marshall 1960A cab, played it for a few hours and had a tube failure. Of course I was pretty new to tube amps at that time, and I sorta panicked. I was able to get ahold of the dealer I bought it from and he quickly sent me a brand new tube for it and mailed it out promptly. I got it and put it in, worked fine, sounded fine, nice little amp. BUT as I said I was still pretty new to tube amps, and I got cold feet after this experience, so I decided I wanted to send it back and then I bought my Marshall DSL 100 head as a replacement.

• Members

I've had my Trilogy for almost two years now. I haven't had gas for another amp since I bought it. Well, no, that's a lie. I would still trade it for an H&K TriAmp MKII. But that's all.

The Trilogy is a killer amp. If you have any specific questions let me know.

-Mike

• Members

I've had my Trilogy for almost two years now. I haven't had gas for another amp since I bought it. Well, no, that's a lie. I would still trade it for an H&K TriAmp MKII. But that's all.

The Trilogy is a killer amp. If you have any specific questions let me know.

-Mike

Any clips of teh br

• Members

one of my all time favorite amps Triamp MKII, and I still love the MKI both great amps. I am actually looking to trade my powerball for another triamp MKII for backup. we are going out in october for a few shows out west, and a backup would be a life saver, I also run 2 rigs at once now, so I would love to have another triamp as a back up since it is my main tone

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Got my Trilogy last week. Sounds like a really versatile amp, the cleans are no doubt the best part of this amp so far. I could definitely see this beauty devouring some FX pedals quite nicely. The high gain channels (lead/ultra lead) don't have that shrieking distortion tone, very articulate sounding channels in my opinion. Sounds like tube swap (factory tubes still hooked) for me since I prefer nasty and messy screams. Once I get the distortion problem fixed, I'll be a very, very happy H&K owner.

• Members

Out of their tube amps I've played the Trilogy and Switchblade extensively, and Statesman and Triamp MKII in stores. Personally, I liked all of them a lot. For the record, I play Classic Rock mostly, but also play new rock and blues.

I find the Trilogy to be a great all around amp, the clean is not spectacular, but its certainly good enough to get the job done. The crunch of this amp is it's best feature. It has a wide variety of crunch tones which sound great, even at low volumes.

I find the switchblade to have an incredible clean tone, but the mid gain crunch tones can be a bit harsh. However, the high gain leads can be very smooth and with the very high compression the amp offers, can make your solo's really sound great.

I haven't played the Statesman enough to review it fairly, but it seemed like it was on par with the other H&K amps.

I only played the Tiamp MKII for maybe an hour in a practice room in a store, but was pretty impressed with it. In fact, I just bought one yesterday :thu:

IMHO all their amps seem to be very good.

• Members

I've gigged with 2 Switchblades over the last two years. Retubing and biasing the amp is a must to tame the harshness which it can be a little. I don't think the clean is incredible. I like it, but it lacks warmth and a full body. That aside, throw some of the built-in chorus and reverb on it and it's fine! The crunch is the weakest channel to me and it's still good. If you can pick this up for a thousand used, it's a great buy for cover band guitarist. Of the three H&Ks I use, it has the least cut (not that it doesn't though!).

I have also spent time with the Duotone. The only bad thing I can say about this amp is the loop is not serial/parallel and is not footswitchable. The clean channel is the best I've heard on any high gain amp, or most amps in general. It almost sounds like it has chorus on it, it shimmers so much. The distortion on this amp is a dream. You can dial in almost any level of gain and have it sound killer. The boost function adds more gain and fattens the sound. Add to that the second master, and you can do three fantastic sounds at 2 different volume levels that cut right through the mix. One thing... this amp won't do you any favors for free. If you play sloppy, you can run but you can't hide!

Last weekend I went and bought the Triamp MKII. I don't think the clean's as good as the Duotone, but it's only a small step down. Channel 1b has a beautiful crunch that's so organic. Channel 2 I honestly need a little more time with, although it's been sounding good. Channel 3? Look out! This channel is a monster. Channel 3a is like the Duotone, so clear and articulate. Channel 3b adds the "chugga" but retains all the clarity. I've only used this with an EMG 81 loaded guitar, and this weekend I'll be bringing out some passives to hear the clean. I also ran a speaker mic and used the Red Box (soundguy said it's beefy) to layer my tone in a one guitar band and it cuts right through.

I'll quit my rambling to say that these amps may be a bit pricey, but I love their tone and it was worth it to me to invest...

• Members
one of my all time favorite amps Triamp MKII, and I still love the MKI both great amps. I am actually looking to trade my powerball for another triamp MKII for backup. we are going out in october for a few shows out west, and a backup would be a life saver, I also run 2 rigs at once now, so I would love to have another triamp as a back up since it is my main tone

Are you looking for trades only? :cool:

Archived