Any good audio analysis tools out there?

SOMMS

• Members

Hola Amigos,

Hey...actual music related question here: I'm looking for some software that will take an audio clip and let me know things the audio frequecies and their amplitude and so forth.

Does this exist? Has anyone done this?

Help a brutha out!

Thanks

SOMMS

• Members

Hola Amigos,

Hey...actual music related question here: I'm looking for some software that will take an audio clip and let me know things the audio frequecies and their amplitude and so forth.

Does this exist? Has anyone done this?

Help a brutha out!

Thanks

SOMMS

heya somms-- yeah i've done a fair piece of that. i voiced a set of horn speakers and built the crossovers, and it took a bit of RTA analysis. there's actually a couple of good programs out there for that!

first step would be to get a cd with white noise on it for analysis, or have a cord to your computer that runs to the amp input for feeding white noise.

next you'd need an RTA program- the best freebie i can recommend is called jDFT ( http://www.e.kth.se/~johk/jdft/ ). it's not SUPER accurate, but it'll get you decent basic results with a condensor mic. i always used an AKG 451 through a mackie pre into the input jack of the computer.

insofar as HOW... well.. you gotta do your homework on that one, cause HOW you do it is as important as the tools you use... but read up a bit, and you should be good!

PM if y' need a hand.. be glad to help if i can.

EDIT: wait-- are you looking for measurement software, or analysis of an audio TRACK software?

• Members

Technically he's looking for an Audio Precision box, since an normal analog O-scope won't give him what he's asking for (directly).

That said, Waves, as well as a few other bundles have Fourier analysis tools of varying degrees of quality.

Look up "spectrum analyzer" and plugins and you should come across something that will display something on the screen.

Getting 100% accurate and useful results out of such tools can take some practice, having to do with the windowing algorithms used in the analysis and other such trivialities. Technically Fourier is only defined for a repetitive signal, so when you have a non-repeating signal (a song, for example), you have to slice it into little bits and consider each bit as repeating. Depending on how well you define each bit, you get more or less useful/accurate results.

Short answer, look up spectrum analyzer and go to town. As long as it doesn't need to be NIST traceable, you'll probably get in the ballpark with whatever you choose.

• Members

well, unless the scope has a spectrum analyzer, that wont be the only thing he'll need...

if you want to just analyze wavefroms from a computer, use garageband, protool, sonar, etc. cool edit pro is an easy to use application as well.

if you are not opposed to writing code, and have access to the digitized time domain waveform (your signal), labview, matlab, C, and Igor are all capable methods

• Members

Holeee Sheee***t.

Thanks for the input guys. I think what I'm looking for is a spectral analyzer (thanks for the old-skool nod Doug!)

Basically I've got a sound clip that I want to know more about. I am not opposed to coding (that's what I do for a living) and just don't know where to start.

What is Igor?

Thanks

S

Archived