Getting the most out of my Peavey Supreme head?

tidalwaveGB

• Members

First of all, I don't post here very often, but I browse the threads almost daily, and find them both entertaining and educational. There are a lot of knowledgeable people up here, and a few that are good for a laugh or two, so I just want to say "hi". :wave:

So, here I am with a thread about my Peavey Supreme head. Its an old black and silver transtube model, and I really don't think it sounds all that bad. I use it in a thrash metal band (along the lines of stuff like Slayer, Possessed, Sepultura, etc). Currently, I have it hooked up to a Peavey 412 MS, in 16ohm mode.

At low volumes, I think the amp sounds pretty good. I play my SG STD (tuned down to D std, or drop C) through it, with no external effects. However, when I turn it up loud enough to be heard above my drummer and other guitar player (running a POD into a Marshall Valvestate halfstack), I am totally losing definition in my tone, with flabby bass and disappointing presence. I have the gain at about 7, with the bass on 6 (resonance switch off), mids on about 3.5, and treble and presence maxed (yes maxed, and it still sounds a bit muffled).

My question is what should I do? Get a new cab? Put an EQ in the effects loop? Lower the amp gain and boost it with an OD? Ditch the amp? Something else?

Any suggestions are totally appreciated. Thanks!

• Members

That's actually not a bad idea
:idea:

Thanks.

those amps are reliable,not good on the distortion side imo.i had one and ran a marshall shredd master into it.the clean channel is quite loud too.i also ran the t-dynamics at around 30% to get alittle "sag' out of it.

p.s.you wont get any love for it around here tho

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have a Transtube Peavey Special 212 II. A parametric EQ in the loop has given it new life of late. Sounds much better. Leave the Amp EQ on OD channel flat and tweak away. After you dial in something you like adjust the clean channel eq to match. I had to turn the clean channel bass almost all the way down. I had very little success with OD stomps into the Clean channel comparitively.

• Members

At low volumes, I think the amp sounds pretty good. I play my SG STD (tuned down to D std, or drop C) through it, with no external effects. However, when I turn it up loud enough to be heard above my drummer and other guitar player (running a POD into a Marshall Valvestate halfstack), I am totally losing definition in my tone, with flabby bass and disappointing presence. I have the gain at about 7, with the bass on 6 (resonance switch off),
mids on about 3.5
, and treble and presence maxed (yes maxed, and it still sounds a bit muffled).

My question is what should I do? Get a new cab? Put an EQ in the effects loop? Lower the amp gain and boost it with an OD? Ditch the amp? Something else?

Any suggestions are totally appreciated. Thanks!

That's the problem, raise your mids and lower your treble.

I used to have the exact amp, I loved it, great tones to be had if you know how to EQ it properly

also, what speakers are in that cab? scorpions? try swapping cabs at your next practice if the EQing doesn't work.

• Members

A 16 ohm cab is going to cut your power on a SS amp, and make the amp work harder at high volumes. I would try it through an 8ohm cab and see if it helps. You want all the headroom you can get to keep the amp punchy and bass tight.

• Members

I used to have a Peavey Transtube supreme head, it was my 1st real amp. Personally I would sell the amp and get an Peavey 5150II.

First though, try changing your settings, hitting the resonance, uppering the mids, and lowering the treble/precense. Also try messing with the T volume control.

Archived