thinking of selling my marshall...

the_bleeding

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the fireball just a trimmed down version of the fireball?

Also, you could try slamming the s**t out of the front end of your Marshall with a Boosta Grande or a Micro amp. That would put your gain over the top no question.

Yes it is... but it has a different powersection that gets kinda brittle at high volumes.

and i do boost it, if i boost it anymore the noise will be untolerable.

• Members

ISN'T THE 6100 SORT OF COLLECTABLE? damn sorry about the caps.

just sell it. 515o's have gone down a little this year it seems. i guess the markets pretty saturated. you can get a used fitty for 5-600 i think, sell the marshall, and spend the rest on coke and whores.(or at least some tacos and beer)
imo, the fitty does metal better than alot of more expensive amps. some guys love the engl tone, and i get it, but to me they're too neutral in the midrange, and the peavey does it better.

• Members
i keep it at 2-c, gain at noon, with a tubescreamer out front. It goes to motorhead territory. But again, this is the lm, sounds different than the regular 6100. I also find the crunch channel too smooth and not tight enough for high gain. I dont even touch the lead channel... the only way to give it grit is to hit the gain boost and keep the gain knob low, but then it goes all can o' bees on me. Without the boost, i find it intolerable. Either too much boomy bass and not enough high end definition, or too ice-picky with no bass. But thats probably a mix of my cab, and how i like it to sound WITH the boost; because with the boost its orgasmically close to motorhead, like, its insane.

and i dont like lo-fi black metal. I like tight chugging rhythms like dimmu or zyklon. Too bad both those bands use savages and pballs...
:cry:

Well, like I saym use 2B, I hate the sound of 2C, It is as you have said sharp and brittle sounding to me.
Honestly, please just try what I've suggested! I play a lot of Industrial metal and needed something that would give that tight 5150/Powerball style sound. It really does work a treat.

What output valves are you running? Mine's a 5881 amp btw, so other than channel 3 it should sound the same as your 6100lm

• Members
Have you tried a good drive pedal before the amp? If you can get you hands on a Damage Control Solid Metal pedal it just may give you what you are looking for with out having to buy a whole new amp (not that I object to any one buying a new amp - whore away
:D
)

I've gotta be honest, im not a huge pedal guy. Sure i have my maxon, but it only accentuates the parts of my amp that i love most. Im more a fan of depending on amp distortion, because if im not using it, then i ask my self why the hell do i have this epic battleship of an amp if im only using it like a paddleboat?

• Members

Power tubes will tighten it up to a point, but you have to pinpoint what the issue is. Is it the gain structure that you don't like? the eq? or as you turn it up it's just not doing what you want it? I would think long and hard before trading/selling something like that for a style of music that, well frankly doesn't care too much about tone. Just scoop the {censored}er turn the gain and treble up and throw some reverb on and you have instant black metal tone. {censored} I remember reading about enslaved and when they used to record they too solid state amps, and their cabs and put sheet metal all around the cab to get that tinny sound :eek:

• Members

Hmmm. I have a quad of mesa tubes in it right now... but theyre kinda old. Do you thinka powertube swap will significantly tighten it up?

I've gotta be honest, im not a huge pedal guy. Sure i have my maxon, but it only accentuates the parts of my amp that i love most. Im more a fan of depending on amp distortion, because if im not using it, then i ask my self why the hell do i have this epic battleship of an amp if im only using it like a paddleboat?

It does sound to me like your output valves may be on the wane. FWIW I've never been impressed by any Mesa branded output valves.

I have some Sovtek 5881/6l6wgc's in mine which, whilst not being the 'holy grail' of valves are really tough and do seem fairly well suited to what I'm doing.

Forget all about your preconceptions about using pedals with valve amps. Your amp will still be doing A LOT of the work in getting the 'core' of the tone. I have however found that using a boost pedal (not a distortion note) in front of a cranked 'on the edge' kind of amp sound is incredible. It really helps you geta tight, saturated amp sound.

I know lots of metal/black metal guys who use this trick, Even with 5150's. The trick is always though to get a solid, warm, crunch tone with plenty of punch behind it first.

The other trick, which is vital to the 'br00talZ' amp sound is running an EQ in the fx loop (make sure you use a serial loop, or if you're using the parallel loop set it to full wet). Notching out around 400Hz and boosting a little below that really puts the amp's tonality in the metal/brutal zone.

• Members
It does sound to me like your output valves may be on the wane. FWIW I've never been impressed by any Mesa branded output valves.

I have some Sovtek 5881/6l6wgc's in mine which, whilst not being the 'holy grail' of valves are really tough and do seem fairly well suited to what I'm doing.

Forget all about your preconceptions about using pedals with valve amps. Your amp will still be doing A LOT of the work in getting the 'core' of the tone. I have however found that using a boost pedal (not a distortion note) in front of a cranked 'on the edge' kind of amp sound is incredible. It really helps you geta tight, saturated amp sound.

I know lots of metal/black metal guys who use this trick, Even with 5150's. The trick is always though to get a solid, warm, crunch tone with plenty of punch behind it first.

The other trick, which is vital to the 'br00talZ' amp sound is running an EQ in the fx loop (make sure you use a serial loop, or if you're using the parallel loop set it to full wet). Notching out around 400Hz and boosting a little below that really puts the amp's tonality in the metal/brutal zone.

werd. I have 300 bucks to spend at a music store... i knew i was guna get an eq and some cables... but that leaves me with 150 bucks leftover. Seems the rest is going towards tubes and strings :D

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the fireball just a trimmed down version of the fireball?

Also, you could try slamming the s**t out of the front end of your Marshall with a Boosta Grande or a Micro amp. That would put your gain over the top no question.

I love the first sentence here.

I think you mean trimmed down version of the Powerball.

Scar Symmetry used the Fireball on their Pitch Black Progress album.

The tones on there are thick and tasty.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
um. no. Fireballs have that treble thing goin on that i realllllllllly dislike.

2 choices here. 5150 which i will mod to {censored}, or powerball.

(and for everybody else) dont try to suggest a richie blackmore because i dont like those either.
:rolleyes:

have you even played a blackmore? :rolleyes:

anyone who has would know that they have a VERY similar voicing to the 5150 in a band setting...

almost to the point where my producer had a hard time telling them apart on the studio tracks

Archived