NAD - Herbert

Rayneman

• Members

Fedex just dropped off my Herbert. It is probably the heaviest amp head I've ever owned. The tiny Fedex lady actually asked me to lift it off the truck.

This is one crazy amp. Being that this is the first day, the beginning of the honeymoon and all that, I will hold off any over-the-top praises for the amp. However, at the very least, this is one of the best amps I have ever owned/played, I can already tell. I suppose I'd have to check with Diezel, but I think this amp is only a couple of months old if that.

In any event, I am probably like most here, I spent 2 minutes on the clean channel, nice, ok...actually, its VERY clean which I like. Channel 2 in the "-" mode, mild to semi-heavy overdrive when cranked. Channel 2 in the "+" with gain at 2:00 and this is where it REALLY gets heavy. Damn. Channel 3, similar to Channel 2+ but there is more gain available and the voicing seems quite different. The mid cut is pretty wild, and I haven't played with it TOO much, but it does what it says. Some guys have said they only like this amp when this feature is engaged, but I'm not sure about that yet.

There's a lot to the amp, I have only had a little while with it. I need to break out a MIDI pedal and get to work on programming it. The big thing I can say about it is that it has TONS of gain, sustain and low end. I mean TONS. Something that is pretty unique, and I hope this makes sense, is that it certainly does have a compressed feel to it when you get the gain wound up, but it still is punchy too. Neat.

IMG_6963.JPG

IMG_6965.JPG

• Members

Congratz. You have my 2 favorit amps - the XTC and the Herbert.

what's the serial number? If it's over 1,000, then it's pretty new.

You may want to check the bias on it too. Mine drifted significantly from when I first got it. It's pretty easy to do with a multi-meter.

• Members

Congratz. You have my 2 favorit amps - the XTC and the Herbert.

what's the serial number? If it's over 1,000, then it's pretty new.

You may want to check the bias on it too. Mine drifted significantly from when I first got it. It's pretty easy to do with a multi-meter.

Hmmm, its early 900's. I hope that at least places it within the last year, as that is what was represented to me by the seller.

In any event, this thing is a monster!

• Members

Thanks to all. I wish I had sprung for this amp when it first came on the scene, it would have saved me quite a bit of time and money!!

I plugged my little nanoverb into the serial loop (I think there are 3 loops on this thing) and it really sounds good. I've to find anything that really annoys me about this amp, and usually I can find things pretty quickly. Well, I am not sure if the serial loop is switchable or not, but that's ok either way.

I can't wait to try this amp out with my Mesa Recto 4X12...

• Members

There are 2 serial loops - only the first one (on the left) is switchable. You can make the parallel loop switchable by going out the send on the serial loop and coming back in the return on the parallel loop.

Cool, I have the manual, but well...you know.

• Members

Glad to hear it's not just me. I was beginning to think I was becoming obsessed.

Nope it's not just you man!!! I literally tell friends (who I know really can't afford one) NOT to try the Diezel stuff...It's just torture after you demo them...especially at mid to high volumes.

Archived