Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh

JoshuaLogan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Definitely a distinct band. They have their signature harmonics that no one else uses like them, because of their tapping and harmonics, their riffs sound like no one else, and progressive song structures that are, although repetitive to some people, are unique to them

• Members

It's GoJira. It's a hard 'J'.

jes. A hard J

Go-Jeer-ah

It's japanese, so all those pronunciation rules apply.

Funny, French band, Japanese name, all the lyrics are in English, and they use South American rhythm instruments. Not to mention they hang out with the Calevera brothers all the time.

• Members

I've only given it one full listen (and a half), so my opinion hasn't been cemented yet, but I'll say I'm quite pleased. It's definitely a step up from FMTS (which IMO was a step down from their earlier works). It has FANTASTIC production; some of the best drum and guitar tones I've heard from them - which is a tall order considering all of their albums have great production. Some really interesting parts, really incredible drum performance, and overall has a great vibe. I thought FMTS was a bit too plodding and repetitive, but TWoAF seems to meld the kind of hypnotic wall-of-sound vibe of FMTS with the technical rhythms and interesting harmonies of the earlier albums in a way that works really well, most of the time anyway. So, overall I'm giving it a thumbs up; whether that will stand up to repeated listens remains to be seen. But I was nervous about this album and they proved me wrong, so good for them. :)

• Members
jes. A hard J

Go-Jeer-ah

It's japanese, so all those pronunciation rules apply.

That is the most common way I've heard it pronounced (and I think how the band pronounces it itself). But if you wanted to pronounce it the Japanese way it would be "GO-ji-ra" with the "r" being rolled in the Japanese fashion, and the emphasis on the first syllable.

Also their original name was Godzilla; they changed to Gojira because of copyright BS.

Not that any of this matters :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
haven't heard it yet

then why post? :p

Seriously though you should... the drum production alone is a thing to be marveled at. So vivid and organic sounding; the snare, bass drums and cymbals just leap out at you :love: and the guitar tones are massive and rich with overtones... :love::love::love: Sounds completely wonderful, modern without having that Sneap-ified over-processed triggered-to-hell sound which I've grown to so despise.

• Members
then why post?
:p

Seriously though you should... the drum production alone is a thing to be marveled at. So vivid and organic sounding; the snare, bass drums and cymbals just leap out at you
:love:
and the guitar tones are massive and rich with overtones...
Sounds completely wonderful, modern without having that Sneap-ified over-processed triggered-to-hell sound which I've grown to so despise.

The drums actually sound very, very processed, man. Definitley would not be surprised of there was sample replacement on the kick and snare there. I honestly would think that's what you would call "doesn't sound like real drums" like you said about the SSD stuff before. (They sound awesome. I just didn't think you'd like that sound.)

• Members

Just got around to it last week, and I have to say, I like it a lot. Exactly what I was hoping for. I really liked Terra Firma, didn't care for The Link (dunno why), dug the {censored} out of To Sirius, and now with Flesh, they're quickly becoming my favorite straight metal band, now that Byzantine is dead. I make the distinction because they're not death or black or "prog" metal, but I don't think it's fair to call them metal in the same way, say, Vortice or Hebosagil are.

In any event, I'm glad the album didn't suck dick. Production's great. I love the feel on Toxic Garbage Island riffs. I've been meaning to get another shirt (my old one got a nasty hole put in it), but, damn, most of their shirts are goofy, in one way or another.

• Members
The drums actually sound very, very processed, man. Definitley would not be surprised of there was sample replacement on the kick and snare there. I honestly would think that's what you would call "doesn't sound like real drums" like you said about the SSD stuff before. (They sound awesome. I just didn't think you'd like that sound.)

I also wouldn't be surprised if there is sample replacement et cetera... but they SOUND very organic, in a way that Andy Sneap and associated acts tend not to do. Triggers or no, sample replacement or no, it's some of the best drum production I've ever heard. Then again, Gojira has always had some of my favorite drum production, especially on their debut and now on this. And they sound very real to me. Whether that's because they are, or simply because the processing is very well done, is irrelevant. It is what it is, and that's how it sounds to me. :)

"SSD?" :confused:

• Members
I make the distinction because they're not death or black or "prog" metal, but I don't think it's fair to call them metal in the same way, say, Vortice or Hebosagil are.

I label them "progressive groove metal" which is a fairly succinct way of describing their sound, though obviously they are very unique. They are certainly progressive, and certainly a lot of their style comes from post-thrash/groove metal, so it seems logical to me. But I'm pretty obsessive about labeling everything in my iTunes :p

• Members

Does the new album sound more like their earlier albums, or more like From Mars to Sirius? Cuz I wasn't as much of a fan of that one compared to The Link or Terra Incognita. Got a bit too repetitive.
:o

Terra Incognita is probably my favorite Gojira album:

:rawk:

Fully agreed. Incognita was awesome, then I got Mars to Sirius & was a little irritated.

Edit: Listening to Flesh, Im digging int so far... :thu:

Archived