How sick are you of Metalcore?

eroom

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dude. I dig your band, but how is it any different than anything else I've heard? You have all these opinions on music and artistic integrity...but your music doesn't seem to reflect your opinions.

Thanks man, that really makes my day. :rolleyes:

I acknowledge many influences in my work but personally I think it's got its own style and feel that sets it apart from other stuff. I don't hear any of it as being derivative or formulaic. I could go into detail but it sounds lame defending one's own music. I was the one writing it, so I know what was going through my head at the time, and very rarely did I think to myself, "I want to sound like XYZ band here" or such like. If you can't hear differences than so be it. I can't really say much else. I'm disappointed that you think that, but I don't bear you any ill will for your opinion; you're more than welcome to it. I personally don't agree, and I hope I'm not the only one. :idk:

• Members

Thanks man, that really makes my day.
:rolleyes:

I acknowledge many influences in my work but personally I think it's got its own style and feel that sets it apart from other stuff. I don't hear any of it as being derivative or formulaic. I could go into detail but it sounds lame defending one's own music. I was the one writing it, so I know what was going through my head at the time, and very rarely did I think to myself, "I want to sound like XYZ band here" or such like. If you can't hear differences than so be it. I can't really say much else. I'm disappointed that you think that, but I don't bear you any ill will for your opinion; you're more than welcome to it. I personally don't agree, and I hope I'm not the only one.
:idk:

That's my point man...one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I like your music, regardless of genre. (Honestly, you're a "favorite" on my teh Myspace...) But you're not doing anything "ground breaking" or "genre-defying." You are your musical influences no matter what.

Because when it comes down to it, all that's left is the music. Not all the bull{censored} surrounding it. I just can't understand why some people are so vocal and active in their hatred of some things "musical."

• Members

I like your music, regardless of genre. (Honestly, you're a "favorite" on my teh Myspace...) But you're not doing anything "ground breaking" or "genre-defying." You are your musical influences no matter what.

I'm glad you like it but I'm sorry you think that's true. I like to think that my band is doing something new. If you think we sound particularly similar to other bands out there, please direct me to them and I'll judge for myself. But I can honestly and (I hope) without pretension say I've never heard a band that sounds like my band. And I listen to quite a lot. In the beginning (back in '05 or so) I had a lot of Opeth influence in my songwriting, but aside from a penchant for 7th chords and the occasional clean break, I think we've pretty much moved on from that sound. Especially if you heard the latest song we've written, which is a big leap from anything we've done yet.

At any rate, what I strive for in my music is something which I think is rather difficult to do, which is to come up with coherent, well structured and flowing music which is also harmonically intricate and inventive, unpredictable and complex, all while refraining from just going all out atonal like many death/thrash bands, or hopping around through genres like Unexpect or Sleep Terror, for example. It really is hard to do. It took about 8 months to compose the most recent Solecism song (which is just over 5 minutes long), and that's if you don't include the other 8-9 months where I wasn't composing anything at all because I just didn't have any ideas. I don't want to sound like a wet blanket, but the music I write is the product of a LOT of time, effort, perfectionism and rewrites. None of it was slapped together. On the other hand, I could sit down for an hour and come out with a good 10-15 minutes of generic metalcore, death metal, grindcore, doom, thrash, WHATEVER songs, expending very little effort because all you have to do is follow the rules. Writing music which passes my own test for originality and having the "right" sound is a much more difficult process, because the music is a reflection of me, and not someone else.

Well, there I went and did what I said I wasn't going to do, and defended my own music. Self-revealing dialog on HCAF FTMFL. :facepalm:

• Members

Certainly, I don't dispute that. And honestly I don't get why you think I would. I don't like most (hardly any) metalcore, simply because I don't like the music. It has pretty much nothing to do with the image, the trends, or whatever. If it's good music it's good music. Personally, I want the music I write to be good without having to rely on someone else's innovations. Like I said, I recognize the reality that everyone's music, including my own, and even the best out there, is based on influences as much as, if not more than, on one's own ideas.

I'm glad you like it but I'm sorry you think that's true. I like to think that my band is doing something new. If you think we sound particularly similar to other bands out there, please direct me to them and I'll judge for myself. But I can honestly and (I hope) without pretension say I've never heard a band that sounds like my band. And I listen to quite a lot. In the beginning (back in '05 or so) I had a lot of Opeth influence in my songwriting, but aside from a penchant for 7th chords and the occasional clean break, I think we've pretty much moved on from that sound. Especially if you heard the latest song we've written, which is a big leap from anything we've done yet.

At any rate, what I strive for in my music is something which I think is rather difficult to do, which is to come up with coherent, well structured and flowing music which is also harmonically intricate and inventive, unpredictable and complex, all while refraining from just going all out atonal like many death/thrash bands, or hopping around through genres like Unexpect or Sleep Terror, for example. It really is hard to do. It took about 8 months to compose the most recent Solecism song (which is just over 5 minutes long), and that's if you don't include the other 8-9 months where I wasn't composing anything at all because I just didn't have any ideas. I don't want to sound like a wet blanket, but the music I write is the product of a LOT of time, effort, perfectionism and rewrites. None of it was slapped together. On the other hand, I could sit down for an hour and come out with a good 10-15 minutes of generic metalcore, death metal, grindcore, doom, thrash, WHATEVER songs, expending very little effort because all you have to do is follow the rules. Writing music which passes my own test for originality and having the "right" sound is a much more difficult process, because the music is a reflection of me, and not someone else.

Well, there I went and did what I said I wasn't going to do, and defended my own music. Self-revealing dialog on HCAF FTMFL.
:facepalm:

Ha. Inner-monologue becomes internetz unveiling...it can't be helped when writing about something one is "passionate" about.

Not {censored}ting you, when I first heard your music, I thought Opeth.

I haven't heard anything else you have other than what's on myspace, and I'm also not lumping you in with any other band...I'm just saying that what if I was to write you off as another "Opeth" wannabe? I'd never do that. You have a {censored} ton else going on besides, "Opeth". There's definitely a progressive element there along with a lot of different dynamics that you don't hear on the average metal-type tune.

Instead I listen to the music, ask questions, search for it, regardless of genre, and come to find you are a level-headed dude with a serious artistic vision for your music. That I can appreciate. It's also much harder to do.

On the other hand, it's really easy to hate on metalcore or any one genre.

• Members

Ha. Inner-monologue becomes internetz unveiling...it can't be helped when writing about something one is "passionate" about.

Not {censored}ting you, when I first heard your music, I thought Opeth.

I haven't heard anything else you have other than what's on myspace, and I'm also not lumping you in with any other band...I'm just saying that what if I was to write you off as another "Opeth" wannabe? I'd never do that. You have a {censored} ton else going on besides, "Opeth". There's definitely a progressive element there along with a lot of different dynamics that you don't hear on the average metal-type tune.

Instead I listen to the music, ask questions, search for it, regardless of genre, and come to find you are a level-headed dude with a serious artistic vision for your music. That I can appreciate. It's also much harder to do.

On the other hand, it's really easy to hate on metalcore or any one genre.

Thanks for the response... I just want to stress that I try not to hate on genres as a whole, but the fact is that genres are in the end simply ways of categorizing similar-sounding bands. the reason that bands like KsE and AILD are considered metalcore while bands like Morbid Angel and Monstrosity are seen as death metal is because two of them have whatever arbitrary elements the musical world has come up with to classify them as metalcore, and the other two death metal. Ultimately as you say it's the music, not the label it goes under, that matters. But it's inarguable for me that MOST of the bands which go under the metalcore label are ones I don't like, or at least I don't like most of their stuff. There are exceptions - I'm a huge fan of Converge's Jane Doe as well as Ion Dissonance's first two albums. I'm a fan of some KsE tracks and a few other scattered metalcore tracks. But most of it I don't like, and I don't feel particularly inclined to seek out more metalcore because I feel like I've heard enough of it to be pretty sure that if X band is classified as metalcore, I probably won't like it. I feel the same way about pop, country, top 40 rock, nu-metal, and many other genres... I can't give every band in existence a listen, and so I tend to give priority to the bands who I think I'll like - decisions which tend to be guided by what genre they fall under - and then I make a judgment from there.

So I guess I would say that I agree that labels are limiting and often cause people to be close-minded and hence miss out on music that they might like. But by the same token, labels are very helpful because they can help people find new bands that they probably will like. The question is, when a person listens to a band, can they forget about the genre tag long enough to really appreciate what the music is, and decide from there, not from preconceived notions, whether they enjoy the music or not?

Anyway, I'm glad you like our music, and I hope that perhaps my long-winded explanation of what goes into it (and I could get into a lot more detail, believe me :lol:) can make you see where I get my admittedly occasionally pretensious-sounding pontifications on musical credibility.

:wave:

• Members

I like it.........beats the absolute {censored} out of grunge and the Korn and other {censored}ty bands of the 90's........at least people are playing their guitars with proficiency and soloing........as opposed to {censored}ty bands like Limp {censored}zkit...oh Nu-Metal......{censored} that....

Archived