OLD amp: Is it worth buying?

noelio

• Members

I was flipping through the local classifieds and there is a ~1959 Beltone 2x10 (I think, could be a 2 x12) combo amp for sale. Person is looking for $120 for it?

Apparently it has new tubes and works great, according to seller.

Is this something worth checking out?

• Members

I was flipping through the local classifieds and there is a ~1959 Beltone 2x10 (I think, could be a 2 x12) combo amp for sale. Person is looking for $120 for it?

Apparently it has new tubes and works great, according to seller.

Is this something worth checking out?

ANY old tube amp like that is worth two to three times that....snag it and rock it.

• Members

not everything old is good or will appreciate in value. if it sounds good and everything worksthen i say jump on it. most of those older type amps do one sound well and it's a lo fi garage rock type sound (for nowadays music anyway). don't expect it to be worth a ton down the road though. you see old gibson amps going for 300 bucks on cl when there's also silverface bassmans going for 7 to 900 (and they should be more around the 400 range). everything is inflated in vintage gear but some things will just never appreciate much.

• Members

p.s.- we're all whores here so don't expect any answer other than "YOU MUST BUY NOW!!!"

Yes I know, that's why I hesitated. I'm not a AMP whore as such, but if is a good deal I'd be inclined to buy it for sure.

Two problems tho: 1) it's not close to me so if i buy it then I wouldn't be able to test it in person.

2) This would probably hurt my chances of getting a new guitar. :facepalm:

Oh and I wasn't looking to make money on it, I rarely buy things to turn around and sell them for profit. I keep everything i buy.

• Members
Yes I know, that's why I hesitated. I'm not a AMP whore as such, but if is a good deal I'd be inclined to buy it for sure.

Two problems tho: 1) it's not close to me so if i buy it then I wouldn't be able to test it in person.

2) This would probably hurt my chances of getting a new guitar.
:facepalm:

Oh and I wasn't looking to make money on it, I rarely buy things to turn around and sell them for profit. I keep everything i buy.

i would definitely test before buying. have them meet you somewhere that you can test it. you'll probably have to put money into this amp as well if you want to gig with it (ala cap job... speaker repair, etc).

• Members
i would definitely test before buying. have them meet you somewhere that you can test it. you'll probably have to put money into this amp as well if you want to gig with it (ala cap job... speaker repair, etc).

Yeah but if i do this the cost is going to increase greatly. The amp is about 600km's away. (converted to miles roughly about 370). So trip plus repair is going to make this amp maybe more than it is worth to me. :idk:

• Members
yeah if the amp is that far away than i'd say pass on it

it's only a good deal when you know without doubt it's a good deal, being unable to try the amp first you never know what you're getting

That is exactly what I'm afraid of. Thank you for making me feel like I'm not a {censored} for jumping all over this. :lol:

• Members
Yeah but if i do this the cost is going to increase greatly. The amp is about 600km's away. (converted to miles roughly about 370). So trip plus repair is going to make this amp maybe more than it is worth to me.
:idk:

I'd pass then. like i said before, you can find vintage amps like this with more features for just a little bit more all the time. 370 miles is way to far to drive for a cheap piece of gear. for a vintage paul or strat or plexi yea.... for a 120 dollar amp that no one's ever heard of... no. And, not to be a jerk but it probably doesn't sound good. get a used classic 30 or something and you'll be better off. OR... hold out for an old silvertone, fender blackface bassman, musicman, or something along those lines if you want a more collectible vintage amp.

• Members

It will need a lot of work. E.I. replace the cap can and major electrolytics.
The power plug needs to be replaced. I'm not a fan of amps with the output transformer mounted on the speaker. What if the speaker or OT goes? A tougher repair since they are together like that.
The pots are probably all scratchy. Good luck finding a schematic.

Looks like it's got one lone (EL84?) power tube driving two speakers. Probably not very loud.

I'd probably gut the thing and make it a Champ clone. Use the original chassis, hardware and cabinet. Pay the guy $100 for it for parts basically.

No way that thing doesn't hum like a swarm of bees after 50 years and all original.

• Members

Where is the power transformer? Find out if that is a series heater amp before you spend any money on what may be a dangerous piece of junk.See my response to your GJ similar post.

Before you purchase some of these old practice starter amps that are hyped on various for sale lists it would be prudent to research series heater/widowmaker/transformeless/acdc circuit amps where the tubes are directly powered by the AC without a power transformer. These amps if they don't have power or isolation transformers can have a hot chassis depending on the orientation of the plug in the outlet. Bad news if you complete the circuit by touching something that acts as a ground. Not worth what folks try to get for these "vintage" tube amps. Look for tubes where the numbers add up to close to 117 and are unusual by today's standards. A 50C5 is a dead giveaway...pun intended.

Archived