Is it mine?

Vbrook

• Members

Had a great melody line come to my head while shopping this afternoon, sang it in to my phone so I'd remember it. The thing is, I'm not sure whether it's mine. I feel like I've heard it somewhere in passing, but I have no idea how to locate it.

I could work it into a piece I'm working on. If briefly, it would look like a nod to whoever wrote the original melody. But if it is in fact my own melody, I would dive deeper into it.

I could post the melody (have not yet recorded it, but may on Tuesday), maybe that's a good idea--see if anyone recognises it.

In any case, what an irritating feeling!

• Members

I hate that too! Sometimes a melody sounds so good in my head I have to stop and think twice if it really is mine. Eventually, if it is something I subconsciously emulated from something/someone else, I will eventually figure it out. I will then try to make a decision on whether or not it is too much like said piece and go from there.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think might be someone else's. Maybe you just wrote a really good melody!

• Members

Ditto all that.

I frequently have to run 'originality checks' with my friends (and now I have you guys :love: ) on stuff like that... I so know that feeling Devery talks about.

I come up with something and I'm thinking... man, instant classic... and then I'm thinking... or is it a forgotten classic... someone else's forgotten classic?

• Members

What if you change it up a bit, enough so it still has the desired emotional impact, yet has little resemblance at face value.

Or use it in a different context, if you think the song you're ripping of has the melody in the chorus, use it in the bridge section. You be surprised how many songs have similar melodies but they're used in a totally different context, making it so you never see a comparison unless analyzed.

• Members

who cares? the more you work it, the more you will make it yours. don't sweat whether or not it reminds you of something. i guarantee if you continue writing the song and put changes and yadda, yadda, yadda, you'll have YOUR song....even if the verse melody sounds like it was copped from something catchy enough to stay in your ear unconsciously.

just write it!

• Members

one of the songs i recently wrote sounded "similar" to another riff and my drummer kept bugging me about it. when it was time to record it, our producer played yet another song who he thought sounded similar to it! then he told us that probably every riff has been written already in one way or another.

so unless it's a direct rip-off of another song, don't worry about it. when you add all the other elements, including tempo and feel, chances it won't even resemble the song you think it sounds like.

• Members

Thanks for all the posts.

One thing is for sure---I probably throw out WAY too many ideas on the (paranoid) basis that they sound too much like someone else's.

Geez, it seems the biggest thing standing in the way of free expression is self censorship!

Cheers to All

Archived