more bailout fun!!! :) who didn't see this coming?

kinggeoff

• Members

how long will people remain apathetic... i mean really, what kind of {censored}-storm is it going to take before people recognize a need for change?

As sick as it sounds, nothing will change until people begin to suffer. In our current state, the majority of the middle class isn't "struggling" in the way you would think. And that isn't to say there aren't people struggling, but right now the majority of the country hasn't gotten there yet. Sure, we are losing the financial means to afford some luxuries, but the middle class isn't "struggling" yet. We all still have a roof over our heads, food on the table, etc. {censored}, we all still have cable TV and the internet and drive new cars and buy expensive amplifiers.

In terms of the collapsing stock market, most of the middle class doesn't invest in the stock market. The majority of big stock contributers are in the upper echilon of the social spectrum, who, even after the recent plummeting of stocks, have more than enough dough to live comfortably for the rest of their lives.

Unfortunately, things will have to get bad enough to make people really suffer. It will be the only way people will take their attention off of Britney Spears and CSI long enough to make a difference. We need to get to the point where middle class end up on food lines and on the streets.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
As sick as it sounds, nothing will change until people begin to suffer. In our current state, the majority of the middle class isn't "struggling" in the way you would think. And that isn't to say there aren't people struggling, but right now the majority of the country hasn't gotten there yet. Sure, we are losing the financial means to afford some luxuries, but the middle class isn't "struggling" yet. We all still have a roof over our heads, food on the table, etc. Shit, we all still have cable TV and the internet and drive new cars and buy expensive amplifiers.

In terms of the collapsing stock market, most of the middle class doesn't invest in the stock market. The majority of big stock contributers are in the upper echilon of the social spectrum, who, even after the recent plummeting of stocks, have more than enough dough to live comfortably for the rest of their lives.

Unfortunately, things will have to get bad enough to make people really suffer. It will be the only way people will take their attention off of Britney Spears and CSI long enough to make a difference. We need to get to the point where middle class end up on food lines and on the streets.

You have a good point. Even the biggest degenerate has two cars and cable. But make no mistake....change is here, all that credit debt to pay for all that shit is over.:idea: The next bubble is car loans.

• Members

how long will people remain apathetic... i mean really, what kind of {censored}-storm is it going to take before people recognize a need for change?

More people will have to lose their jobs, which I fear will happen. Just look at the "has the economy stopped your GAS and gear buying" thread. It's pretty much filled with people who are "my job is safe, secure. I rule. I'll buy whatever".

That's fine, I know if I felt that way I'd do the same. Here's the problem though, in a recession, and especially god forbid a depression, nobody's job is truly safe.

I very good friend of mine, hardcore conservative but a smart one, frames houses for a living. When, in my town, all of the blue collar and white collar jobs started disappearing, he was the same way I see a lot of people. "I work with my hands, I don't rely on some big company, my business has never been better...everything is great for me". It took 2 years, but he is now a financial wreck, there is absolutely no demand whatsoever to build and unfortunately his business looks like it's going to fold. Just goes to show you, it can happen to anybody in a failing economy. Society all relies on each other like a big house of cards. First only a few cards fall and the rest of the house stays up. But sooner or later...the whole house comes falling.

I hope this doesn't happen, but I fear it will. So again the answer to "what kind of {censored}-storm" will it take? It'll take massive unemployment, which I think we WILL see. I hope for all our sakes that we don't.

• Members

As sick as it sounds, nothing will change until people begin to suffer. In our current state, the majority of the middle class isn't "struggling" in the way you would think. And that isn't to say there aren't people struggling, but right now the majority of the country hasn't gotten there yet. Sure, we are losing the financial means to afford some luxuries, but the middle class isn't "struggling" yet. We all still have a roof over our heads, food on the table, etc. Shit, we all still have cable TV and the internet and drive new cars and buy expensive amplifiers.

I agree with a big part of your post but your wrong on 1 BIG THING!

"most of the middle class doesnt invest in the stock market" - what do u base this statment on? :confused: There are more Americans than EVER invested in the stock market, pensions 401 K's, retirement plans, mutual funds etc, etc

I see the point your trying to make but as far as Americans + actually investing in the market there are more Americans who invest (i forgot the actual figure amount) and have a vested interest in the mkt

Speaking of the stock market there will be some tremendous undervalued and cheap stocks VERY soon. some that have NOTHING to do with housing/credit but are being dragged down by the slower economy. There will be very big opportunities soon! Patience and some pain and put on your seatbelt but well be ok in time

:idea:

• Members

When we're living like Mad-Max, with roaming bands of bandits/looters willing to kill you and your family for a can of tuna.... do you really think it's gonna be the Metalheads who are the 'fittest'?

They'll be bunkered in, cowering in the basement, mumbling to themselves something about 'Opeth' and 'pwning noobz', while polishing a little scrap of tolex.

It'll be those guys that have PLANNED for this their whole lives, who survive.

And, you'll all die for your camo-shorts.
:o

Well I guess Im lucky in live in the fucking woods.

• Members

As sick as it sounds, nothing will change until people begin to suffer. In our current state, the majority of the middle class isn't "struggling" in the way you would think. And that isn't to say there aren't people struggling, but right now the majority of the country hasn't gotten there yet. Sure, we are losing the financial means to afford some luxuries, but the middle class isn't "struggling" yet. We all still have a roof over our heads, food on the table, etc. {censored}, we all still have cable TV and the internet and drive new cars and buy expensive amplifiers.

Yep, what you are saying is all too true. And to further comment on what kinggeoff had too say... I fear the removal of basic rights will come in a timely fashion... when the middle class does start to struggle, all rights and freedoms will have been revoked.

• Members

I think some of you are jumping the gun a little too far on the whole "removal of rights" thing. These corrupt politicians and big corporations have already proven that they can get what they want without removing our "rights". {censored}, we already don't have any. Our reps and senators were diluged with emails stating that the general public didn't want this bailout. So many that their servers went down. They STILL passed it. As soon as they did Paulson appointed one of his old cronies at Goldman to oversee it (just like I predicted he would in the original bailout thread). This bailout was a joke, and I'm stuck here saying "told ya so". If a economic dip{censored} like me can smell a rat from a mile away, why can't anyone else?

Bottom line, these politicians voted for the bailout despite the fact that the majority of US citizens were not for it. They don't care about you, they haven't for years. They care about their big business cronies and the sooner we all wake up to that fact, the better.

The American people should have been able to DIRECTLY vote for this bailout, it should not have been left in the hands of politicians. Yes, I understand that isn't possible, but it should be. This isn't the {censored}ing Pony Express days anymore.

And {censored} Barack Obama for voting for it. I thought he had a spine...I guess I was wrong.

• Members

Exactly. Massive amounts of unemployment, deaths in lower and lower-middle class families from starvation and the like are what it will take for people to stand up against all of this. People don't do anything until the situation is really bad. While I don't want to see any of this happen part of me feels like it's necessary. So many people don't give a {censored} about anything but their iPhones and what is on TV on a given evening. The entire country needs to wake up to how we are being {censored}ed on the daily.

• Members

More people will have to lose their jobs, which I fear will happen. Just look at the "has the economy stopped your GAS and gear buying" thread. It's pretty much filled with people who are "my job is safe, secure. I rule. I'll buy whatever".

That's fine, I know if I felt that way I'd do the same. Here's the problem though, in a recession, and especially god forbid a depression, nobody's job is truly safe.

I very good friend of mine, hardcore conservative but a smart one, frames houses for a living. When, in my town, all of the blue collar and white collar jobs started disappearing, he was the same way I see a lot of people. "I work with my hands, I don't rely on some big company, my business has never been better...everything is great for me". It took 2 years, but he is now a financial wreck, there is absolutely no demand whatsoever to build and unfortunately his business looks like it's going to fold. Just goes to show you, it can happen to anybody in a failing economy. Society all relies on each other like a big house of cards. First only a few cards fall and the rest of the house stays up. But sooner or later...the whole house comes falling.

I hope this doesn't happen, but I fear it will. So again the answer to "what kind of {censored}-storm" will it take? It'll take massive unemployment, which I think we WILL see. I hope for all our sakes that we don't.

To clear up any confusion, I was being a little sarcastic. I understand that it will take something of this magnitude... it just bothers me that the majority fails to heed the warning signs.

Your fears confirm mine and I can only hope for the best. But what can you do other than live your life in the moment while always being prepared for the worst?

• Members

To clear up any confusion, I was being a little sarcastic. I understand that it will take something of this magnitude... it just bothers me that the majority fails to heed the warning signs.

Your fears confirm mine and I can only hope for the best. But what can you do other than live your life in the moment while always being prepared for the worst?

My biggest concern is that if it has to happen, I'd rather it happen now. I don't want my kid getting stuck with this.

• Members

Pay attention to who is introducing and voting for these {censored}ty bills and vote them out of office. Get involved at the local level and do what you can there. Also, if you want to prepare for the worst go out and learn some survival techniques. Having that under your belt will come in very handy.

• Members

Who's surprised?

I'll be heading to the Strongsville rec center today to wave my Obama sign at the McCain/Palin rally. Wish me luck.

Doesn't matter which side your on. I mean I'm voting for Obama...but only because McCain is the alternative. I doubt he'll do much though. Both are just saying what we want to hear.

• Members

My biggest concern is that if it has to happen, I'd rather it happen now. I don't want my kid getting stuck with this.

I know what you mean. I have fears about bringing life into this world, given the current state of affairs... but again, what can I do but live my life with a positive attitude. It'll be a few years yet before I'm in a position to do so... but all the same, it's something that crosses my mind from time to time.

• Members

I know what you mean. I have fears about bringing life into this world, given the current state of affairs... but again, what can I do but live my life with a positive attitude. It'll be a few years yet before I'm in a position to do so... but all the same, it's something that crosses my mind from time to time.

There's no way in hell I'd have a child with the current state of affairs. When my wife got pregnant, all was pretty much well with the world. Had I known just how badly these idiots would {censored} everything up, I would not have chosen to have a kid. I feel very scared for her.

• Members

Doesn't matter which side your on. I mean I'm voting for Obama...but only because McCain is the alternative. I doubt he'll do much though. Both are just saying what we want to hear.

Do I think he's gonna Save the world? Probably not.

Do I think he has a much better grasp on TODAYS economy and how to possibly fix it? Absolutely. I'll be doing everything that I can...because my State is the most important in the election(Ohio)...no Republican has won without us.

• Members

Who's surprised?

I'll be heading to the Strongsville rec center today to wave my Obama sign at the McCain/Palin rally. Wish me luck.

I have high hopes for both of these candidates. At the end of the day, both show track records of doing what they think is right over doing what is beneficial. However, to think one of these candidates can cure the problems in our country is naive. The necessary changes are too drastic for people to approve and the government to support and, unfortunately, even if the next president DOES what those changes made he can only do so much without Congressional support. I have high hopes, but we are just looking at symptoms of much bigger problems, problems that stretch further than the Oval Office.

• Members

There's no way in hell I'd have a child with the current state of affairs. When my wife got pregnant, all was pretty much well with the world. Had I known just how badly these idiots would {censored} everything up, I would not have chosen to have a kid. I feel very scared for her.

I said something to this effect the other day about having kids at this current time. I'm lucky that I'm not in that position right now. My brother and sister-in-law are having their second in 7 months and that worries me a bit, especially since he rewires and wires up houses (electrician).

Those jobs are going to be scarce in the near future because the new houses market is going to come to a near stand-still in order to even things out. I hope it's only a layoff situation until things get leveled off, but I'm not confident about it. Fortunately, I'll be willing to move in with them to help them out if needed. I have nothing keeping me in my current place since it's rented.

Archived