so i got me a twin reverb......

chisa

• Members

Webbers & Jensens also make good speaks,for me I would have to try it first, but most speakers are "non-returnable". Thats why I like Celestions cause I have I long relationship with them although I liked them better when they were made in the U.K. Try each speakers websites for mp3 sound bites and also check the user reviews on HC.:thu:

• Members

As in an Alnico Blue? The twin reverb is far too powerful for that speaker. It can only handle 20ish watts, yet half of the power of the amp will be going to it.

What power of Twin is it? You might get away with a Celestion Gold and an Eminence Legend

• Members

As in an Alnico Blue? The twin reverb is far too powerful for that speaker. It can only handle 20ish watts, yet half of the power of the amp will be going to it.

What power of Twin is it? You might get away with a Celestion Gold and an Eminence Legend

yes, i was thinking of gold:facepalm:

• Members

70's Twin reverbs are rated at 135 watts rms [root means square] wired in parallel half of 135 is 67.5 so technically 70 watt speakers are safe ,thats one reason I went with Carvin British ,70 watt plus ,i happened to have them on hand. Anthing less than 60 watts if you crank it you run the risk of speaker damage but thats an awful lot of power. I know people who use lower rated speakers that just don't open up the amp, some would say that fine but I've always been heavy handed when it comes to volume, if it were my amp I'd look for a speaker rated no less than 70 watts.:thu:

• Members

i am also gonna re-tolex it and replace knobs, chassis holders, legs, handle.

I wouldn't do this myself. I prefer the look of a nicely road worn amp. If you really want the new look for your old amp I'd recommend getting a second cabinet/baffle-grill/faceplate and dropping the guts in that, keeping the old one 'as-is' in case you want to sell it down the road. A bit more expensive alternative but it'll pay itself back when you decide to sell.

Oh, and I'd dump those speakers. In fact I'd do that first.

• Members

I wouldn't do this myself. I prefer the look of a nicely road worn amp. If you really want the new look for your old amp I'd recommend getting a second cabinet/baffle-grill/faceplate and dropping the guts in that, keeping the old one 'as-is' in case you want to sell it down the road. A bit more expensive alternative but it'll pay itself back when you decide to sell.

Oh, and I'd dump those speakers. In fact I'd do that first.

Edit: Read the second page where you're asking about speakers. Celestion Golds would be a great choice IMO.

• Members
wired in parallel half of 135 is 67.5 so technically 70 watt speakers are safe ,thats one reason I went with Carvin British ,70 watt plus ,i happened to have them on hand. Anthing less than 60 watts if you crank it you run the risk of speaker damage but thats an awful lot of power. I know people who use lower rated speakers that just don't open up the amp, some would say that fine but I've always been heavy handed when it comes to volume, if it were my amp I'd look for a speaker rated no less than 70 watts.
:thu:

nah, it is 100 watts. before the ultralinear 135w style.

on the back it says 100w RMS

• Members

I have a 79 twin that I did a full restoration on with my Dad.

I would advise against a re-tolex, as I think it really detracts from the character of the amp. I did however treat mine to new chrome and fittings.

Electrically, there are a few things I'd say are essential.
Number one, get the power supply capacitors replaced, they'll be well past it by now. Chances are most of the other caps will need replacing too.
I know whilst we were in there, we also changed out resistors that had drifted out of range. That's a controversial one amongst some people, but I wanted my twin to sound how it did when it left the factory.

Secondly, it sounds like it needs a re-valve. I'm not normally a NOS snob, but in my twin it yeilded good results using NOS, and in some cases was essential.
With mine being a '79 it's a 135watt ultralinear model, which means it's VERY hard on the output valves.
I went through boxes of Chineese 6l6's which sounded crap, went bang (literally) and were generally a joke.
We then managed to get hold of some NOS Jan sylvania 6L6WGB 'stubbies' just like these: http://www.tubemongerlib.com/gallery2/v/6L6/Sylvania+5881+JAN+6L6WGB+PhilipsECG+and+Sylvania+Labels+-+USA.jpg.html

They're getting expensive now, but they're incredible valves. Transformed the sound of the amp and will take a merciless beating.

Reproduction footswitches are available, be sure to get a genuine Fender type one, unless you're handy with a soldering iron.
A quirk with the Fender circuit is that the footswitch doesn't just provide switching. Try putting a 1/4" jack on a normal unshielded footswtch and you'll get bizarre feedback squeels when you engage the 'vibrato'.

Other than that, enjoy it! They're great amps and a real bit of history.

• Members

what have you got in there?

It's interesting that, does anyone running a 100watt or 175 watt twin have the original speakers left? It seems that only the JBL's have been tough enough to put up with the output of these amps.

Mine has some enormous Celestion Sidewinders with massive cast frames. They're rated at about 150 watts each I think! The amps weighs a ton with them in!

Archived