legal questions

ace1979

• Members

Ok so I have a legal question. I have a friend who has built a website for her company that does child photography, and she was wanting to have some background music on the site, but doesn't want to go through the legal mess for "popular songs" so asked if I could do something for the website. Now my question is...what "clearance" "licensing" would I have to get to use a nursery rhyme or several nursery rhymes either vocal or instrumental...any thoughts???? thanks

• Members

Just make sure you check -- some of the songs you'd really expect to have entered the public domain -- like "Happy Birthday to You" (or whatever that annoying POS is called) -- are still under copyright and rigidly enforced.

Congress has done the bidding of music publishers by moving the copyright protection for a work from the original 25 years to virtual perpetuity, now, so, the public domain will be shrinking (proportionally) unless specific copyright holders mess up or the open source movement takes off or Congress should somehow crawl out of the pocket of the big labels and music publishers. (Don't hold your breath on that last. Too much money flows from those vested private interests into the hands of your lawmakers, who, of course, are beyond reproach but take money and deliver results. Quid. Pro. Quo.)

Archived