Anybody know how many watts a cranked Plexi makes?(modded 1987x)

mkymws

• Members

Running absolutely full bore, around 150.

that would be the 1959, right? the "100 watter."

the 1987 would push more 50, which you must obviously know..

i've never had experience with a 1987x, but the other guitar player in my band uses a 50 watt dsl and a 2x12 greenback cab, and we've never had a problem. granted, the 50 watt dsl probably isn't producing the same crushing cranked wattage of the 50 watt non-master, but it's mildly comparable.

so, to answer the original question.. i have no idea.

can any electrical engineers help us out?

• Members

No sweat, this thread is win. I was digging how the 80 watt celestion were sounding this afternoon and was also thinking how nice it would be to have a killer sounding cab I could grab with one hand and throw in the back of the truck. Sounds like it will work just fine. Thanks everyone:cool:

• Members

The origional specs rated the amps power at less than 1% THD, running flat out they put out around 80 watts. That's why Marshalls always seem louder as most other amp manufacturers rate the wattage at 10% total harmonic distortion. I have an old MKII (with 6550's) that is louder than my 120W 5150.

• Members

yeah, cranked youre looking at around 75-80W. and celestion rates their speakers conservatively, meaning that 80W driver can handle probably up to aorund 100W. so an 80W 112 is perfectly OK. might get a little speaker OD there, but that will probably sound great with the plexi. good luck!

Archived