Slam Poem

• Members

I'm going to perform this both at my upcoming poetry slam, as well as between songs in my band's set list, Jim Morrison-style

Note: There is a bit of artistic profanity, which I have censored accordingly. Have fun guessing what the asteriks mean.

Heavy with p***, pregnant with s***: a splish of artificially straightened hair, dirty blonde, turning a corner like a ghost. I moved to follow and was silenced by a kiss. A tiny feeling bloomed in my hips like a silver frost flower. Whispering unintelligibly and rolling around on your back. Ice on the inside of the windshield. Our little wheels firmly planted in the snow, firmly planted. In the mud and snow.

Antifreeze sweet: your lips, we stick on one another like a tongue to a flagpole. I smile and remind you of "the ice on the inside of the windshield", steaming like a dog, panting like a teapot.

Being with you is drinking honey right out of the beehive.

Being with you makes the world so much bigger.

The engine grinds to a half.

And all the blizzard has for warmth is us.

Burdened with c**.

• Members

Not so much most of it for me, some bits remind me of Beat stuff.

Don't like the "honey right out of the beehive" bit at all, the beehive honey thing being so overused. Rather see a twist on it instead of the same old thing.

But - "antifreeze sweet"...

That is beautiful. :love:

• Members

I think it mostly works. I felt like there was some connective tissue missing.

I thought the juxtaposition of the poisonous sweetness of anti-freeze with honey from a beehive was interesting... I'm not sure one can actually drink honey from a hive, though... particularly not without being immediately surrounded by very 'angry' bees. (My recollection of how honey an hive works is that you have to bust it/drain it out of the honeycomb. Unless they've genetically engineered them little guys to just squirt it into a tray beneath the hive. But since the BEES ARE DYING and we don't know why... I'm guessing that we're not that on top of bee science, even though we've had them 'domesticated' for thousands of years.)

Anyhow, I guess it's the coffee talking going on about bees. (Agreed with RS that that bit might not be the freshest, either... )

It's hard to find new stuff to say about a momentary assignation in a car...

But, again, I think this mostly works... pretty okay.

Archived