"Khaing"

Johnny-Boy

• Members

I honestly am not approaching you in a confrontational way. I never looked at this as a clash. nonso.gif

I just wanted to give an honest opinion and it was rejected (come sempre).

I also edited out the four letter word. Sorry if it offended you. I just like that word so much! It sounds cool.

• Members

Well, I think at the same time he was trying to get his point across, he was also taking pains to acknowledge the high level of your skills... I'm thinkin' no one's ever gonna call
me
an "exceptional composer."
;)

Like I said, it's natural to be passionate about one's passions.

One of the dangers of cyber-dialog is that it lacks a lot of the preter-verbal cues that keep a couple of buddies in a pub or coffeehouse passionately arguing politics -- or sports -- out of trouble. Which is why, in this
focused
forum, the moderation is a little more proactive than it might be in, say, oh,
Open Jam...
:D

But
it's my thinking that this is just lively, passionate dialog from two people with very different professional perspectives. Neither perspective is 'right' or 'wrong' -- it's more like looking at the same landscape from two different vantage points -- you see it different from over here than the other guy sees it from over there. If both parties report accurately what they see, their reports will be different -- and might well be inferred to be contradictory in a superficial analysis -- but both will actually be correct.

Well said. . .

I really do respect Johnny. I can't say it enough. When I critique him, it is because I want to bring out the best in him. For those of you who have seen our exchanges in the past, it may seem like I am picking on him. This may be somewhat true. I do single him out. Why? Because he is good. Yet there are times where I see that his stuff needs some polishing. I have told him about this in the past. I have mentioned his playing before. I have also complimented it when it was spot on. I had mentioned the keyboard sound he used. I still think he should make an upgrade in this department (if possible) because I feel the sample he uses for his piano sound does not do his playing justice. I have also commented on how I feel he is a little too mechanical and lacks feeling. And now, I have mentioned that I would like to hear something different from him. If someone told me that the last 5 songs I had written were all sounding the same, I hope to god I would take heart. Every time I do make a suggestion, I try, with all that is in me, to do it in a non confrontational way. I try to use words that are non abrasive. I try to be clear, concise. Of course this never seems to work. I honestly don't know if Johnny doesn't like what I say because he can't understand it, or if he doesn't like it because he isn't looking for critique. I hope it is the latter.

• Members

[i wrote this before reading Devery's post immediately above. So, it's not in response to that post. Just to make things more confusing. ;) ]

Oh, golly... now I remember why I didn't want to insert myself into this...

OK... I've glanced over this thread over a few sessions but might not have recently read every word of it... but it's clear that I'm not on top of everything that's gone on.

Devery, I think I understand in a general kind of way what you're trying to say and I've been kind of sorry to see things go a little south, communication-wise, since I don't think you intended to be confrontational, as you say.

I think it highlights the notion that it's probably best to err on the side of caution when treading in territory where misunderstanding is easy or sensibilities inadvertently stepped on. I'm not being critical of what you're trying to communicate at all, just pointing out that, communication can sometimes be a minefield... (Like we didn't know that already, huh? :D )

• Members

I think it highlights the notion that it's probably best to err on the side of caution when treading in territory where misunderstanding is easy or sensibilities inadvertently stepped on. I'm not being critical of what you're trying to communicate at all, just pointing out that, communication can sometimes be a minefield... (Like we didn't know that already, huh? )

I looked back and read everything I wrote. I did it in a mature, non confretational manner, I thought it also seemed understandable. It turned sour after post #12 was entered.

As I said before, "Io ci rinuncio." (I give up)

• Members

At the risk of being hated by all involved (but what else are mods for?) I think you're both good guys who are talented, intelligent, and passionate about music.

It's only natural that people occasionally disagree and probably understandable that when they disagree about stuff they're passionate about, well, a little dust can get kicked up.

As someone who, himself, can have a hard time letting things go (no one ever really understands what I'm trying to say so I keep trying to find new ways of saying the same thing ;) ), I know from my own experience that there can come a time when maybe the best thing to do is to go take a walk in the sunshine (or the rain :D ) and take a break.

There'll be plenty of time for you guys to come to an understanding later on this or other stuff and work together cooperatively.

I'm not worried about you guys. ;)

• Members

At the risk of being hated by all involved (but what else are mods for?) I think you're both good guys who are talented, intelligent, and passionate about music.

It's only natural that people occasionally disagree and probably understandable that when they disagree about stuff they're passionate about, well, a little dust can get kicked up.

As someone who, himself, can have a hard time letting things go (no one ever
really
understands what I'm trying to say so I keep trying to find new ways of saying the same thing
;)
), I know from my own experience that there can come a time when maybe the best thing to do is to go take a walk in the sunshine (or the rain
) and take a break.

There'll be plenty of time for you guys to come to an understanding later on this or other stuff and work together cooperatively.

I'm not worried about you guys.
;)

Good advice Blue! And a beautiful day outside to take a walk.

Best, John:)

• Members

I'm a walkin'

after Midnight.....

I'm a walkin'

in the moonlight....

KAC

Well... I'm

[it's just a vid I found looking for Ian Drury's "Walkin' in the Rain" there -- which sadly wasn't represented. I liked it 'cause it's about walking in the rain but the video is shot on a sunny day in, like London or Liverpool.]

Archived