I could listen to the MOP rhythm tone for days...

estew72

• Members

Yes, pretty much bat{censored} crazy. :o

I really don't see what's so great about it. Even Ride has a better tone IMO. Puppets is just too scooped, too dead and cold sounding. Justice takes it even further, producing one of the most horrid guitar tones this side of Dimebag Darrel's... Black was a bit of an improvement, but overall the whole thing's very cold and sterile sounding IMO. Load, Reload, and the new Garage Inc. recordings is when they had some {censored}in' sweet tone. :love:

Why you'd take a sweet Mark series amp, scoop the mids out at the graphic EQ, and then add another EQ to scoop even more mids out is beyond me. :o

I had the ol' Quad pre fired up last night. {censored} me dead that thing sounds great... why molest it with horrid mid-scooping? :mad:

• Members

Load, Reload, and the new Garage Inc. recordings is when they had some {censored}in' sweet tone.
:love:

:freak:

You must not be a metal fan...

I agree with the OP. I find myself always comparing my rhythm tone to "The Thing that Should Not Be" and "Disposable Heroes".

• Members
:freak:

You must not be a metal fan...

I agree with the OP. I find myself always comparing my rhythm tone to "The Thing that Should Not Be" and "Disposable Heroes".

If by "metal fan" you mean a close-minded metal-only meat head that rejects anything that could be considered not "METTTAAAAAAALLLL!!!", then no, I'm not a metal fan.

But I do listen to metal. In fact a lot of what I listen to is metal. I just happen to think the horrible scooped mids tones of the 80s to be irrelevant and outdated. :cop:

• Members

MoP has GREAT tone, absolutely... completely nails what they were going for, which is brutal thrash raw-ness balanced with clarity and precision... absolutely :rawk:

Prime examples:

Opening of Disposable Heroes

Guitar break in "Damage Inc" (right before "we chew and spit you out")

Orion - the whole {censored}ing thing

{censored}, everything else

:rawk::rawk::rawk:

I'll clarify by saying it's not necessarily the sound I would pick for MY stuff, but it's just perfect for that album, IMO. And you have to consider all tones in the context of the music. There is no one "right tone."

• Members

Scooping is an acquired taste. True, it doesn't taste that great in a full band setting, but on CD (or alone with your amp) it can be liquid majesty. Master of Puppets is one of my benchmark metal tones - just love the sound. But then I also have Walls of Jericho as a benchmark - love that sound, too, and it's not scooped out. Just depends on what I'm craving when it comes down to it.

And Dimebag's tone is terrible? Cowboys From Hell ... that album is a milestone, and his lead-tone makes me rigid enough to snap backwards

Archived