Remember that song I posted...

banjobach

• Members

Inquiring whether or not I should add lyrics?

Well I decided to keep it instrumental and called in "Helluva Dog" because my uncle always wanted me to write a song about his cow dog. I just wanted to follow up for those of you who may have been interested what I did with it.

Hope you enjoy.

YOUTUBE

• Members

Nice! I wish I could play my ($75) 12 string like that. (I'm not even sure I've got the strength to fret it at the octave. :D Of course, that's not saying much about me. I'm not sure The Gubernator has enough strength to fret my 12 at the octave. As a consequence, it's pretty much reserved for slide work.)

I like it quite a bit and it's got a lot of momentum... but I was wondering if it might not seem just a little richer and more complete with one extra little section, bridge, or something. As it was, the repeated parts seemed like they came around maybe just one time too often. But, you know, repetition is the foundation of modern marketing and if you give the kids too much complexity they walk away knowing they've seen something but having little recollection of what it was... so... you're probably already in the sweet spot. ;)

[Also... I might just be jealous... as it's all but impossible for me to remember anything long enough to repeat it, create a recurring motif. I can't memorize lyrics or poetry, either, not my own or anyone else's. I don't think I've ever got up in front of an audience without lyric sheets for the bulk of my songs. I remember -- in an abstract way -- coming up with a jazz comp for a lounge track I was doing as a joke about ten years ago. I worked it out, pieced it together and, for a few weeks, I could kind of repeat it. But as soon as a week or two went by without me playing it every day or so, it was gone like snow on the water. Yet I can remember insufferably inconsequential details from conversations 30 or 40 years ago. Go the heck figure.]

• Members

Thanks for the feedback

Yeah, the playing was a little loose in some parts and I apologize, it was harder than I anticipated to play that song on a 12 string (also having a dogs head on my knee was a tad distracting :))

It is a bit repetitive but that's also why it's so short. I just wanted a fun little song to play whenever. Glad you guys liked it.

• Members

Hey Banjo,

As soon as I get "You Tube" straightened out, I'll listen. My You Tube videos haven't worked for 3 weeks. I keep getting this message:

"Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

I've corrected these issues, but still get this message every time I try to view a video.

I'll look forward to your tune as soon as this gets straightened out.

Best, John Keys.gif

• Members

I keep getting this message:

"Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

I've corrected these issues, but still get this message every time I try to view a video.

Have you got the noscript plug in installed? That might be the problem.

• Members

In addition to double checking Firefox's NoScript add-in, if he's got it, John might slso want to switch browsers if he's got both IE (or Safari) and Firefox. Sometimes I get a similar message at some sites in one browser or the other but the other browser works.

Often as not, it's FF that's not working and I'm not precisely sure why. I do use NoScript -- it's a great protection but it breaks about 3/4 of websites one way or another when JS isn't turned on -- usually in ways I don't care about most of the time, ad-serving, feedback boxes and the like. But my JS permissions are the first thing I check in such a situation, obviously, anyhow.

My FF environment is more complex than IE, since I have in addition to NoScript, the Answers.com toolbar, FireFTP and a couple other add-ins.

I've tried running IE with greater protection -- but it breaks my banking and other sites that seem to require DirectX (whether they actually say they're IE-dependent or not). IE's the fastest browser (with caching turned as off in it and turned as low in possible in FF and as low as practical in Safari/Win. [safari Win can run with no caching/full reload, just like IE, but it slows to an absolute crawl in rendering. FF performs far better but even with caching supposedly turned all the way off, it still sometimes refuses to freshly load all aspects of pages at times -- quite unpredictably at times. Still it's my favorite browser.)

Archived