This clip pushed my laptop to the limit

mparsons

• Members
And made it freeze twice
:mad:

31 tracks of symphony does that, though.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=442291&songID=6996063

It's a rough mix, and I still need to add vocals and guitar+bass. But it stands on its own pretty much.

Enjoy!

Bounce the tracks to audio as you go along and you won't have system resource problems, plus it makes mixing much easier.

Sounds like a black metal piece. I liked it up until the double-bass thing. Until that point I was able to accept the drum machine, but that took it over the edge. Either need real drums there or do a lot more humanization on the drums. Nice job though.

-W

• Members

Bounce the tracks to audio as you go along and you won't have system resource problems, plus it makes mixing much easier.

Sounds like a black metal piece. I liked it up until the double-bass thing. Until that point I was able to accept the drum machine, but that took it over the edge. Either need real drums there or do a lot more humanization on the drums. Nice job though.

-W

Thanks! I did bounce to audio. It STILL took up 1.8GB of my 2GB of RAM.

This is just a rough mix, so it will have more human sounding drums, as well as guitar+bass to make it sound more human.

• Members
WTF? My laptop just crashed!
:mad:

:lol:

Honestly Matt it's not really my style... the whole Symphonic metal thing never really does anything for me. Dimmu Borgir puts me to sleep. I'm a huge classical fan but, apart from utilizing (sort of) the same instruments, I see very little overlap between an actual symphony and symphonic metal. Classical music, in the late Classical/Romantic style which symphonic metal most closely resembles (superficially) requires thematic development, constant motion, modulations, dynamic contrasts, explicit or implied counterpoint, emotions... I dunno, a sort of ineffable set of qualities that separate it from other forms of music. To me Symphonic metal always just seems like a pale imitation of classical music, an attempt to meld the classical "sound" with metal-style songwriting and structure, while really missing the point of both. Once again, TO ME.

I don't mean to insult you or anything because everyone has their tastes and it seems clear that you put a lot of work into this and that it's the music YOU want to make, which is all that really matters in the end... but I'd feel dishonest telling you otherwise, or just refraining from commenting on the music when you obviously want feedback. What I will say is that it definitely sounds good for the style; although the drums are way too sterile... more humanization and possibly a different sample set would do you well.

• Members

I want a good symphionic library bad but they are so damn expensive. This sounds pretty ok, but you need to get your hands on the Vienna strings or EWQL Symphonic stuff. God that stuffs sounds like you could make a movie score with it.

EWQSL Silver is pretty badass for the money. I used it for some soundtrack cues a few years back, and it sounds like they've improved it even more with the legato tool.

• Members
:lol:

Honestly Matt it's not really my style... the whole Symphonic metal thing never really does anything for me. Dimmu Borgir puts me to sleep. I'm a huge classical fan but, apart from utilizing (sort of) the same instruments, I see very little overlap between an actual symphony and symphonic metal. Classical music, in the late Classical/Romantic style which symphonic metal most closely resembles (superficially) requires thematic development, constant motion, modulations, dynamic contrasts, explicit or implied counterpoint, emotions... I dunno, a sort of ineffable set of qualities that separate it from other forms of music. To me Symphonic metal always just seems like a pale imitation of classical music, an attempt to meld the classical "sound" with metal-style songwriting and structure, while really missing the point of both. Once again, TO ME.

I don't mean to insult you or anything because everyone has their tastes and it seems clear that you put a lot of work into this and that it's the music YOU want to make, which is all that really matters in the end... but I'd feel dishonest telling you otherwise, or just refraining from commenting on the music when you obviously want feedback. What I will say is that it definitely sounds good for the style; although the drums are way too sterile... more humanization and possibly a different sample set would do you well.

I completely understand and agree with you.

BUT...

This is track 10 of 12 of my hour long symphonic metal masterpiece :D Quite a few of the melodies you hear are themes, and the song itself serves largely to refresh the listener of what happened previously, and to prepare the listener for the epic final "battle"...

I want a good symphionic library bad but they are so damn expensive. This sounds pretty ok, but you need to get your hands on the Vienna strings or EWQL Symphonic stuff. God that stuffs sounds like you could make a movie score with it.

I'm saving up for EWQLSO Gold :D

• Members
I completely understand and agree with you.

BUT...

This is track 10 of 12 of my hour long symphonic metal masterpiece
:D
Quite a few of the melodies you hear are themes, and the song itself serves largely to refresh the listener of what happened previously, and to prepare the listener for the epic final "battle"...

OK; I'll refrain from judgment till I hear the final product then. :p

• Members

sounded neat dood. I have the pocket orchestra as well, neat program.

but it doesn't mess with my computer?

did you have a lot of background stuff running like virus protection and etc?

p.s the EWQL stuff takes up SO MUCH god damned hard drive space.

• Members

EWQSL Silver is pretty badass for the money. I used it for some soundtrack cues a few years back, and it sounds like they've improved it even more with the legato tool.

I want the Platinum one just because lol. I heard it gives you completely dry sounds as well as opposed to the gold and below.

Archived