"Speaker break in period"... is there such a thing?

Antipownt

• Members

This my friend is a much debated topic.

Some say there is no break in period, some say there is.

Obviously the materials the speaker is made of are going to breakdown and soften up over time. How much that affects the overall tone is the question.

Humidity, temperature... can make a lot of difference too.

I've even heard that putting acetone aka nail polish remover around the edges of a new speaker can expedite the "break in period" I sure as hell wouldn't do that though.

I've noticed a negligible difference in my new speakers after a couple weeks of playing...

Just play lots of bassy stuff and get that cone moving around. Thats all you need.

• Members

well.. a speaker is a physical structure-- and the spider and suspension are in their 'tightest' state when they're brand new.. i've found speakers to need a bit of 'breaking in' to sound their best-- develop full bass, lose shrillness, and in general, just sound 'in focus'. impossible to say how long that period is... and i'm sure temperature and humidity play a part to a certain extent.. but a hell of a lot less than just the elasticity of the materials holding the cone!

• Members

Yes there is. Get a mini to 1/4" adapter, and plug in a cd player through the loop of your amp. Play it when ever you're futzing around the house. You'll start to hear a difference, at first it will be subtle, but then after a bit longer you'll hear a huge difference. With the WGS I broke in last it was about 20 hrs when I started to hear a little something, and after 50 hrs it was well broken in.

• Members

Every component on a speaker is subject to some type of wear in. The voice coil, the spider, the cone. Each affects the tone in a different way but some of the best speakers sound {censored}ty right out of the box. Its the people that play them for hours on end that eventually find their sweet spot. Perfect example is the G12H30. Or you could compare a Hellatone (broken in V30) to a stock V30. Its normally a subtle difference but it can make all the difference when in search of "your tone"

Archived