Dr.Z Maz 38 or Fender Blues Deluxe?

anonpostguy

• Members

i REALLY like the maz 38... but i think my fave is the maz gt... wow is that an amp... as is the stangray, which i tried for the first time yesterday!

dunno about the blues deluxe. i guess it just depends whether you prefer 84's or 6l6es! i love the ring of el84's.. so my choice'd be clear-- but ultimately i think it depends on what you want to hear.

• Members

Not saying there is not going to be a difference. Just wondering
how much
difference for the cost.

hence.... GO PLAY THEM and decide, I dont even know what you mean by "difference" as they are completely different amps.... so I have no clue what you are comparing.....

I dont know what somebody could possibly tell you on an internet forum that could sway you either way :idk:

• Members

I saw a guy playing a Dr. Z in a club a few weeks ago. When I walked in, all I knew was he was playing a 335 and sounded fantastic. Sounded good enough I went up to the stage to find out what he was using. I've never noticed a Blues Deluxe to sound anything other than mediocre or bad.

• Members

I guess I will be more specific.

I play out at least twice a week doing covers. I currently have a Traynor YCS50 that has an excellent dirty. I don't find the clean "big, or "bold" enough to hang with the band (I have tried EQ'ing ten ways from Sunday and still not working for me). Because of this, I tend to use the dirty for things I would rather play clean.

I could go to a music store and try them side by side, however, there are not a lot of music stores around me that carry Dr. Z. So, in this respect, my options are limited. Even if I could exercise that option, my aim is to find a clean that will stand on its own within the context of a band playing Rock/Top40/Dance/Funk covers. What sounds acceptable in a store comparison has little bearing on what sounds good onstage in a band mix. Therefore, if there is anyone who has tried a Fender Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod Deluxe, or Peavey Classic 30, and also tried a Dr. Z Maz 38 within a live band setting, would any of these amps get me 90% of the way to the Maz 38?

Thanks,

Anonpostguy

Archived