Downsides to micing a small amp?

emuhunter

• Members

I'm going to be moving into the dorms at my new college next semester. I really want to get out, play shows, etc. Because space is at SUCH a premium being in a dorm, I'm trying to find an amp I love that's as small as possible. Fender Princeton pretty much does it for me at the moment. All the places I'll be playing have some kind of house PA, from what I've seen/heard they're all at least really decent, if not pretty good sounding.

Are there any issues or downsides to just getting a small amp, with the definite plan to mic it up for gigs? Apart from the obvious "what if they don't have a PA?" (but, since I play rock music with vocals, I'm thinking if there's not a PA how could there be a gig?)

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, I'm really not trying for that I promise! :)

• Members

Soundguys are morons and if you've got a drummer onstage, the amp's drowned out, and your monitor will only get vocals.

Meanwhile, ever drop of midrange in your tone(i.e., your tone) is scooped out, the bass is sucked by the bass and keyboard, and top end is vocals, if that. "cutting through"? You'll not hear a thing in the audience before the 12th fret.

Now, if you have a competent soundguy and ample setup time to distance mic the amp(and maybe prop up and/or angle it toward your ear), control PA feedback, keep the drummer under control, and get vocalist situated(in ear monitors are a blessing), there's no problem.

Guess which soundguys 90% of the bars, churches, clubs, and resturants you'll be playing will have.

• Members

hmm...if you really wanted you could go with just a pod....not ideal but still

i would say make sure its got a 12 if thats the sound you want...youll be glad you did

how much money you looking on spending on a mic...cuz i would not go with an sm57 if you have a little extra cash on hand.....but by a little im talking 3-5x the amount of an sm57

• Members

Soundguys are morons and if you've got a drummer onstage, the amp's drowned out, and your monitor will only get vocals.

Meanwhile, ever drop of midrange in your tone(i.e., your tone) is scooped out, the bass is sucked by the bass and keyboard, and top end is vocals, if that. "cutting through"? You'll not hear a thing in the audience before the 12th fret.

Now, if you have a competent soundguy and ample setup time to distance mic the amp(and maybe prop up and/or angle it toward your ear), control PA feedback, keep the drummer under control, and get vocalist situated(in ear monitors are a blessing), there's no problem.

Guess which soundguys 90% of the bars, churches, clubs, and resturants you'll be playing will have.

to address this just get a pod

• Members

hmm...if you really wanted you could go with just a pod....not ideal but still

i would say make sure its got a 12 if thats the sound you want...youll be glad you did

how much money you looking on spending on a mic...cuz i would not go with an sm57 if you have a little extra cash on hand.....but by a little im talking 3-5x the amount of an sm57

bastards. local music store sells 57's for upwards of 110 $

• Members

In my experience, sound guys always seem to be the dumbest in terms of pro audio. They never sound check to your liking, always to theres. Very rarely to they concern themselves with your performance, let alone change a dial. So if you are playing clubs with sound guys it can be hit and miss. It is very frustrating to play without being able to hear yourself. If you are using your own PA then go for it. Small amps allow you to get to the tube break up point at a decent audio level. I usually use a 12" speaker so that I get the full character as 10" can limit tone and 8" for sure. Just plug a Fender Tweed Champ into a 12" and you will notice a huge difference. The amp sounds open and more full bodied. Shure SM57's although legendary are kind of pricey. GDS Audio makes a copy that sounds as good if not better. They can be found on speakerrepair.com and 3 will cost you under the price of one Shure.

• Members
I'm going to be moving into the dorms at my new college next semester. I really want to get out, play shows, etc. Because space is at SUCH a premium being in a dorm, I'm trying to find an amp I love that's as small as possible. Fender Princeton pretty much does it for me at the moment. All the places I'll be playing have some kind of house PA, from what I've seen/heard they're all at least really decent, if not pretty good sounding.

Are there any issues or downsides to just getting a small amp, with the definite plan to mic it up for gigs? Apart from the obvious "what if they don't have a PA?" (but, since I play rock music with vocals, I'm thinking if there's not a PA how could there be a gig?)

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, I'm really not trying for that I promise!
:)

You'll be ok. Just fold some in for stage volume through the sidefills or even the wedges if there aren't any sidefills.

• Members

Youll be fine. In fact youll probably come up with something within the band.

For example, I have an orange ad15 1x12 combo. In my hardcore band, I put it on top of my bass players 2x15 angled pattern cab. So my amp is right at shoulder level. Even if I dont have a mic its still alot better than on the ground.

Archived