Bought Me a Mashall Valvestate Amp

goldenhose

• Members

here are the features

VS265
For sale is an excellent condition Marshall Valvestate 65 watt true stereo chorus hybrid combo amp. The amp is equipped with two Marshall gold back speakers and (1) 12ax7 tube in the preamp section. This amp has been well cared for and played in a home environment. All tolex is in great shape along with the grill fabric. A three button footswitch with long cord is included. Below are spec

• Members
  • Members

I dont really undestand the point of buying a cheap amp and then putting a pedal that costs as much as the amp in front of it. If you wanted to spend $400 on a distortion tone you could have gotten any number of old Peaveys, Laneys, Sovteks, Carvins, or whatever depending on what kind of tone you're actually trying to get that would probably sound better.

I mean it will probably work and sound fine, don't get me wrong. But you paid $240 for an amp, and now you're going to spend $180+ on a distortion pedal? I'm sure it'll do the trick, though, and it will probably sound pretty good, there are just probably easier ways to do that.

• Members

I had a VS102r back in the day w/ the matching 4x12 cab. Sounded OK. Then I saw juliana theory live, and they played 'constellation' in which Brett Detar played guitar through the orange VS102r. Sounded AMAZING, I could never get mine to sound that good.

Traded it in towards my AC15.

• Members
I dont really undestand the point of buying a cheap amp and then putting a pedal that costs as much as the amp in front of it. If you wanted to spend $400 on a distortion tone you could have gotten any number of old Peaveys, Laneys, Sovteks, Carvins, or whatever depending on what kind of tone you're actually trying to get that would probably sound better.

I mean it will probably work and sound fine, don't get me wrong. But you paid $240 for an amp, and now you're going to spend $180+ on a distortion pedal? I'm sure it'll do the trick, though, and it will probably sound pretty good, there are just probably easier ways to do that.

180 bucks is a good investment if you like the pedal. He'll still have it when he decides to move up to a more expensive all tube amp.

• Members

180 bucks is a good investment if you like the pedal. He'll still have it when he decides to move up to a more expensive all tube amp.

I'm not really a fan of distortion pedals to begin with. Amps designed for gain do it far better than any pedal can. So whether or not it will be useful when he moves up to a tube amp will depend on his style. IF he's into the pedal+fender kind of vibe (and the pedal seems to indicate that that might be the case) then that could work just fine for him, work great actually. So you may be right.

• Members

I'm not really a fan of distortion pedals to begin with. Amps designed for gain do it far better than any pedal can. So whether or not it will be useful when he moves up to a tube amp will depend on his style. IF he's into the pedal+fender kind of vibe (and the pedal seems to indicate that that might be the case) then that could work just fine for him, work great actually. So you may be right.

Overdrives are not distortion pedals. 2 different functions....

Archived