"Not Enough Face" (kind of a talking blues)

• Members

And now for something completely different!

Not Enough Face

Verse 1

Too many cars out on the highway

Too many people on the road

Too many dudes goin' my way

I'm gettin' close to overload

Chorus

Not enough time

Not enough space

Not enough body

Not enough face

Not enough face

(Solo to verse & chorus)

Verse 2

Too many street lights in the city

Too many people lost their way

Too many dogs who think they're pretty

Can I endure another day?

(Chorus)

(Solo to verse)

(Chorus - repeat and fade)

Mark Bendig: vocal, keyboard bass, percussion

Jack Burgess: guitars

• Members

Face?

You don't mean like... well...
you know... do you?

LOL! :D Well, you've got me there. That's the part of the song I don't really understand. Maybe it's like, you know, time...space, body......face, yeah, that's the ticket. Oh, who am I kidding, I have no idea.

It "came to me" that way and I couldn't think of anything else. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. It must mean something.

-CAG

• Members

Well, er, um, I know a bunch of dudes to whom it has a colloquial meaning. And, certainly, when those guys aren't, uh, getting enough, um, face (or body, one presumes), they do get edgy.

I only go farther down this road because it's going to be the first thing some folks in t heir 20s to early 40s think. (It appears we're about the same generation, ourselves. I suspect you know the colloquial meaning to which I refer so obliquely, but, you know, just in case it's not a familiar term I thought I'd point this out...) And if it's not what you're thinking, it might make for an uncomfortable interpretation of the lyrics if you played this, say, at the youth group at your church. ;)

BTW, I really like that spoken intro and bits... it really sets up the mood nicely.

• Members

I don't think I know of this usage. I've tried every Google search I can think of but I can't turn up a thing on it. Just a lot of "face to face" and "face time" references. But, I'll keep it in mind.

We put the song on a CD we gave out and nobody said anything, but they might have been just being polite!

-CAG

PS on edit: Come to think of it, if the song did have some special "hidden" meaning to a subculture that would be cool, unless the meaning itself was iffy, like this one evidently is.

Archived