Framus Cobra Head Rattle?

gooman

• Members

Anyone else have this problem? For a year I blamed it on the heat register near my cab, but now that I am in another jam space it just seems to be louder. I suspect its the tubes, but I have replaced them before and the rattle persists.

Any suggestions on how to fix? Thanks!

• Members

hah! i believe it! when i first got my cobra i set it on my cab as usual and went through practice and at the end of practice i went to turn it off or whatever and it was half way off my cab about to fall because of the massive ammounts of volume and low end i had running on it, my cab just rattled the head almost off the top.

i was like holy {censored}! it was the depth knob that did it. {censored} makes the amp punchy as hell!

EDIT: i realized that my whole first paragraph there is just 1 sentence :facepalm:

• Members

I had a similar problem. When I was playing a palmmuted chord I could hear a ring/rattle and it turned out to be a power tube where some part of the tube came loose and with the massive vibrations the Cobra creates the loose part caused that ringing/rattling sound.

• Members

Hmm, maybe a layer of foam between the cab and the head would work?

Somehow I doubt it, the Cobras bass output is just too much :D

I'd try to find out what causes the rattle, besides a loose part in a tube or in the amp I dunno what else it should be. The Cobras inside is pretty clean so it should not be too difficult finding the loose part once it is out of its headshell....

• Members

I had the same prblem, it was 2 things, the handle and the tubes. The grids in the tubes where loose and causing a loud vibration. The handle is metal on metal so it sometimes creates a buzz too.

As for the falling off part, it`s the damn rubbers. The 4 knobs are hard rubber, as other heads there softer, so there less prone to slippage. Gotta replace those before it`s to laaaaaaattttttteeeee!!!!!!!!! BaM

Chris

• Members

Hey Gooman!

I purchased a cobra from Guitar Center and had the same issue your describing.

It rings just sitting there and gets louder the longer its on. I checked everything starting with the cab net first, than changing all the tubes, cords, speaker cable. I did everything but take it into an amp tech which I was told that probably needed to be done because one of the soldering fillings might have gone bad.

I actually to a point took it apart and plugged it in, there is a circuit board inside and I noticed if you tap on the board its really bad when it comes through the speakers almost sounds like a bad tube but isn't.

Anyway I screwed with it for 3 weeks before I returned it back to GC to get a refund. It will get worst and like I said I tried everything, even took the handle off. There is something inside makeing the ringing and unelss your use to working on them amps your not going to find it.

Good Luck I know I didn't have any...

Archived