Never satisfied.....

Pawl

• Members

Does anyone suffer from this same "disease" i do? The one where you will write a song... and plan on recording it just as a demo.. to get the song on myspace etc.. but then you will start writing another that you feel is still "your sound" but a new type of sound,,a better sound and.. maybe you feel the song is 10 times better. although the song you are recording is pretty solid.. you have second thoughts about recording it.. or even keeping the song around?? man does this happen to me all the time. :[

• Members

The human condition is one of never being satisfied - and that's a good thing probably. Too much satisfaction makes Johnny lazy.

Think of our life's journey; I should have done this and that - if only I could go back and do it over again. Well, in songwriting we can. So go back and make that song 10 times better.

Best, John:cool:

• Members

Does anyone suffer from this same "disease" i do? The one where you will write a song... and plan on recording it just as a demo.. to get the song on myspace etc.. but then you will start writing another that you feel is still "your sound" but a new type of sound,,a better sound and.. maybe you feel the song is 10 times better. although the song you are recording is pretty solid.. you have second thoughts about recording it.. or even keeping the song around?? man does this happen to me all the time. :[

Sure, that's understandable, Pawl, and you're lucky to be writing... a lot of us probably sink extra time into recording just 'cause we aren't writing as much as we'd like to be. (Me, I just sink it into watching TV. :D )

But I do encourage you to finish the recordings you start. Mostly. I mean, sometimes you have to go through a few attempts to come up with the right foundation for a song.

But you'll want that recording to document where you were and so that you can more easily learn from where you were.

I'm not talking about lavishing time on what was supposed to be a quick demo, anyhow, I'm just talking about quickly finishing it. If you're moving on, it doesn't have to be top quality, right?

But finsihing songs is an invaluable good habit to get into.

Way, way too many people (hang around and you'll meet plenty) have allowed themselves to get into the bad habit of dropping things in the middle -- or even really near the finish line.

• Members

In the ideal situation, each and every song would be better than the song before it. That's what progressing and practicing is all about. So it shouldn't be too surprising that you have that experience. There's also the phenomenon I wrote about previously where the newest song always seems to illicit the greatest emotional response. I would say wait a while until both songs have had a chance to "age," so to speak. Then you can compare them objectively.

• Members

In the ideal situation, each and every song would be better than the song before it. That's what progressing and practicing is all about. So it shouldn't be too surprising that you have that experience. There's also the phenomenon I
where the newest song always seems to illicit the greatest emotional response. I would say wait a while until both songs have had a chance to "age," so to speak. Then you can compare them objectively.

Maybe in the younger, growing years this holds true.

However, there comes a time when every song should be written well (from experience), but the magic doesn't always happen - only once-in-a-while, and in no certain order.

Some of my most appealing songs (at least to me) were written several years ago (and a few several months ago), but whether a song is written well has nothing to do with the magic that can happen - it's unpredictable.

John:cool:

• Members

Pawl, happens all the time. I just throw it all out to the wind and wind up focusing on a set of songs and then recording them. Yeah, you might think of something totally different you can do with it, and you might want to add/ take out sections. It helps to get a demo on tape for me though. If you're like me, you're always going to be more interested with your most recent work, since it probably reflects the aspects of music you're most interested in at the time.

Just try to get the ideas down on tape though. For me, a song represents where a band is at. Capturing those moments - if you like the ideas at the time - are a great thing, imo.

Don't sweat it. Just have fun writing songs. As long as you really dig what you are working on, record it.

Archived