OD Shootout! Carl Martin Plexitone vs. ToneBone Plexitube

Meatbeard

• Members

SORRY ABOUT THE DECEPTIVE THREAD TITLE!!! WARNING NO REVIEWS!!!!

so, Ive decided (partly due to the fact that I refuse to sell my mint splawn for 900 bucks like most people have been offering me these days) to keep my splawn.

I really love the tone that I get out of my amp, I'm just not a huge fan of the feel!! Even with el-34's, its so damn tight. Our other guitar player has a Competition (mines a Pro Stock) and I can fly on that thing!! My amp has great tone... just dont like the feel. With that said, Ive been thinking of running my amp at a semi clean setting and running an o.d as my rhythm tone so I can get that tight, but liquidy feel at volumes that aren't just completely ear splitting. I recently read some really great things about the Tonebone Plexitube, and ive played through the Hot British, so I know that they have great tone to offer. But, The Carl Martin Plexitone seems to have the perfect set up on it. Very simple layout.

Any owners of either one out there???

• Members

I think the problem is that everyone who comes into this thread is looking for an OD shootout, which is what you titled the thread. This isn't a shootout. You should have made it something like "opinions on Carl Martin Plexitone vs. ToneBone Plexitube" or something.

well, I may have messed up the title, but, I'm looking for dudes who own one of the pedals, so, I would assume that they would enter anyway???

• Members

SORRY ABOUT THE DECEPTIVE THREAD TITLE!!! WARNING NO REVIEWS!!!!

so, Ive decided (partly due to the fact that I refuse to sell my mint splawn for 900 bucks like most people have been offering me these days) to keep my splawn.

I really love the tone that I get out of my amp, I'm just not a huge fan of the feel!! Even with el-34's, its so damn tight.
Our other guitar player has a Competition (mines a Pro Stock) and I can fly on that thing!!
My amp has great tone... just dont like the feel. With that said, Ive been thinking of running my amp at a semi clean setting and running an o.d as my rhythm tone so I can get that tight, but liquidy feel at volumes that aren't just completely ear splitting. I recently read some really great things about the Tonebone Plexitube, and ive played through the Hot British, so I know that they have great tone to offer. But, The Carl Martin Plexitone seems to have the perfect set up on it. Very simple layout.

Any owners of either one out there???

the only difference between a competition and your pro stock should be the power tubes and wattage. You can run in 50W mode with the pro stock too. Have you tried using the same preamp tube compliment as your friends comp?

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hi Meatbeard. I just had these two pedals together for a week so I was able to AB them thoroughly. First off, the Carl Martin Plexitone has the cool feature of a built-in power transformer - no wall wart. It also has the third switch option of a Boost circuit. This adds about 20dB of clean volume (not gain) which is good for soloing. The Crunch channel and the High Gain channel are voiced pretty much the same (a salesman at Carl Martin USA confirmed this) so don't expect any big difference there, unlike the Tonebone product. Which brings me to the Plexitube. This pedal has a solid state preamp stage (the Plexitone is all solid state) but the output stage uses a 12AX7 tube to add harmonics. This pedal saturates more and has more edgy grit and grind - definitely more Metal. Drive 1 is great all by itself but Drive 2 has more of the "High Gain" attributes you would expect. Both channels clean up nicely when the guitar volume is backed off. The tone-shaping features on this pedal are extensive but it shouldn't take much time to gat a great sound.

66Thud

Archived