Can one post a clip from Windows Media Player?

Marko

• Members

So, you created a video clip that plays in WMP, yeah? You're halfway there. More or less. Find the file. It likely is a file with a .wmv suffix. (Windows Media Video.)

Sign up at YouTube (if you haven't already). You'll see options to upload videos on your member page there. Upload the video. It'll take a while if it's a big file, even if you're on a fast broadband [particularly since many consumer broadbands are fast downloading but slow on the upstream side].

Once the file transfer up to YouTube is complete, it will still take a few minutes or more for the file to process from the format you uploaded into their Flash presentation format. Once that process is complete and your vid is viewable on YouTube you can then embed that vid on a page here.

In the message edtior use the YouTube button (you might need to use the editor's "advanced mode" to see the YouTube button) to wrap special codes around your vid's ID: if the URL (web address) of your video is, say,

-- you would simply use the final string of letters and numbers behind the equal sign (in this case, Kz6OdA7xt2o), not the whole URL.

So...Kz6OdA7xt2o

• Members

Ah!

Same difference* only substitute Soundclick.com (or any of a number of other indie musician download sites**) for Youtube.

* Although I should note that you'll most likely need your song to be in mp3 format. (WMP's native format is WMA -- Windows Media Audio -- but it also plays and can rip to mp3 format, as well.)

** You can find a long list of them on this page, part of the SW Forum's Resource Listings.

• Members

Marko.. if I understand you correctly

Here is a FREE converter that allows you to convert a host of formats into other formats.. with it you can convert WMA or WAV into MP3..

http://www.tucows.com/preview/382226#MoreInfo

If that doesn't work for you let me know.. there are dozens of others out ther for free.. but this one looks very versatile..

• Members

Marko

I like the LAME codec quite well. There are a number of wrappers for it (programs that insulate you from its DOS-style command line interface); WinLAME is one. The wrappers give you a typical Windows type interface. Not all of them support all the many features of the LAME encoder -- but most are likely to cover your needs well.

• Members

Keep in mind too, that 'sitting in Windows Media Player' is a bit of a misunderstanding. The song is stored in a folder wherever you put it, still in a WAV format most likely- Media player is nothing more than a program to execute (some) music and (some) video files, as well as keep a library of them. The other programs mentioned will take that WAV file and make an mp3. I hope you get the process down so we can hear your stuff. I don't think anyone here will mind to help you if you need it, so ask if you're stuck.

Archived