ALLAN'S RESOLVE

BATSBREW

• Members

ALLAN'S RESOLVE

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2302&alid=-1

stream and download available.

this is a rock instrumental, heavy melodic style...

this song, was inspired by allan holdsworth.

i've always been a fan, but known that the poor guy has starved a lot!

LOL

his decisions to remain true to his artistic vision, despite hard times and marketing pressures, is pretty cool to me.

anyway, i just had this riff that sounded somewhat bittersweet, and i developed it into an arrangment....

Brent Dacus (DWF area) offered to provide drum tracks, so we back and forthed, and here's the end result.

originally mixed on a VS1880, i'm about to dump these tracks into SONAR, and give it a new go..

ideas on mix changes?

• Members

Sounds good. The tones are ultra-clean. Nice juxtapositions of creamy strums and bright "chime-y" guitar lines. Although this really isn't my style, I enjoyed it. I didn't listen to the entire thing though, the stream was over 40 minutes long...ughh...and I really don't want to listen to an instrumental for that long, sorry dude.

• Members

40 minutes? It showed up in my player as 4:15! (I thought it might be a VBR Mp3 -- they sometimes show up with wack durations -- but it's a 256. Hmmm. Another modern mystery... either that or Prog's eyesight was a little blurry when he posted (3:55 am my time). :D

Anyhow, as usual with Batsbrew's work, this is very well crafted, has a glossy feel and smooth execution. The drums are nicely miked and mixed -- but they might have a touch too much reverb for my taste.

If I have a concern here, it's maybe that there are just so many guitars that it's almost a guitar overload... especially when all those very nicely done harmonies start stacking up toward the end. However, I think that's just the nature of this beast. I don't know that you could or should change directions at this point. And, hell, there are lots of folks who like lots of guitars. (Most of them are guitar players -- but, hey, that's lots of people... and while I'm never gonna be one of those guys who has other guitar players three deep at the front of the stage -- I've been among those three deep guitar players (for everyone from Rory Gallagher to Joe Pass [although it was a polite jazz club for Pass and we were simply at the front-center table but close enough -- there were three of us guitar players and we were all leaning forward and hanging on every lightning run]).

Anyway, I think this sounds pretty dialed in, overall, and it's certainly more fine work from an excellent musician (or a couple of them, in this case).

Good stuff!

• Members

mxclod!

thanks for breaking the ice..

i thought this thread had totally tanked!!

LOL

glad you liked it....

but i think the sonics can improve on the mix, the arrangements and all that are pretty dialed in for my purposes, i've recorded this one several times before...

progrock11

ultra clean tones, eh?!

LOL

i try....

i'm using combinations of condenser mics and a good ole 57 on this particular recording...

the stream, should not be any longer than the song, which is only a little over 4 minutes.

downloading is best...

because the streaming sounds like ASS, and the download is a decent encoded mp3

blue2blue-

thanks for the rundown on the mp3...

i think, blurry eyes.

hehe

i might try a smoother, smaller-roomed reverb for the drums...

i had always envisioned this mix to sound..... airy, and big.....

but too many guitars?!!!

never!

LOL

actually, there are only typically 2 guitars going at one time....

the solo/melody guitar, and a rhythm guitar...

sometimes, i double the rhythm guitar, and then i typically play seperate parts....

so, i'm not sure why it seems like there are 'too many guitars'....

• Members

Well... I suspect it's a vision thing. I've been cool to guitar harmonies since their heyday in the mid-70s. I think the last one that really grabbed me was Steve Hunter and... that other guy... on Rock 'n' Roll Animal (wasn't it?), which kind of signaled the emergence of it as a trend. But I got sort of over the top with them in that album -- which I loved when it came out but ended up not liking much the more I heard it (into the ground, mind you, it got played to death out here). Anyhow, so that right there probably means I'm not the best guy to weigh in on this song, since it is clearly designed for people who can't get enough guitar harmonies and guitar in general.

Anyhow, it is a very solid, great sounding production. As we used to say, sounds like it's already on the radio... ;)

• Members

blue-

Steve Hunter and... that other guy... on Rock 'n' Roll Animal

dick wagner.

a big influence on me as well.......

i have my favorite moments on that album..

especially the sweet jane intro...

but you're right, it's only good in small portions.

LOL

i ain't on the radio yet..

but i AM on a couple of streaming stations.....!

hehe

rsadasiv-

"a guitarist of raw, protean power".

what a great quote!

Archived