A Couple of Mistakes to Avoid

myredshoes

• Members

I used to record really late at night or really early in the morning while my then wife and our children were sleeping. I'd use processors or whatever straight into the tape deck with headphones. The only thing I couldn't do silently and without waking anyone was vocals.

But sometimes I would get really tired. One weekend I spent Friday and Saturday night recording a new original song and only realized when I listened to it Monday morning that I had recorded George Thorogood's Bad to the Bone. Rather faithful to the original, too.

I was bummed out because I'd thought I was finally getting the hang of the music thing. It sounded really good...

Today I was working on a lyric, the tail line of each verse was "baby, at the time it was true" and I was on verse four before I realized the meter and the music I was had been hearing was spot-on Dylan's It's All Over Now, Baby Blue. The lyric was even getting Dylanesque by then...

That is all I wish to say right now. :)

• Members

I often riff off some bit of a song that momentarily captures my imagination. I usually don't have to worry too hard about accidentally mimicking the song, since my musical mimicry (why no k in that one, huh? Crazy friggin' English) abilities are a little on the underdeveloped side and there's usually a big gap between where I start and where I end up.

Still, I had a heck of a time a while back when I realized that in the middle of this very developed and internally worked out song, I really, really wanted to use the phrase "show me the way" with almost the identical melody as Peter Frampton used on his big hit of the same name. Needless to say, it was a prediliction I couldn't quite let myself follow through on... But when I do that song, to this day, I really want to sing it that way. Just wail on it. Big prob. :D

• Members

Oh sure. I actually fool around with slides a lot. Play some slide bass once in a while. Comes from using open tunings. I really like the sound of a brass slide on a small acoustic guitar, too.

Lately I've been using a glass slide on my strat (tuned open E-flat) and trying to wring/pull/pound/coax/massage something out of it that is unlike the usual slide sound with octaves and so on, and I find it difficult to break out of the safe familiar forms.

This seems to be the bane of journeymen slide players... I'm hell on the shopworn cliches... but try to break out of familiar territory and it all goes to hell... it's not like I don't know where the notes are in the tuning I typically use ('open D' [DADGbAD] but dropped a half step to Db, since I keep all my accompaniment guitars down a half step).

It's just that once I start trying to get past the familiar blues forms slide players often use, it just kind of all evaporates...

Archived