ISP Decimator Pro Rack G vs Decimator G-String

Chrisjd

• Members

I am debating whether or not to get the Pro Rack G for my rack space or just go with the G-String pedal.

Can anyone offer some insight as to which they think would be the better purchase? I am having a hard time understanding exactly what the differences are.

• Members

the rack has 2 channels, and you can control the threshold on each, so you can have one setting for the signal in front of the amp, and a seperate setting for the loop. The rack can also be modded to stereo.

GString is the pedal version of 1 channel, it has one threshold control, one set of I/O for the front of the amp, and one set of I/O for the loop. The threshold control is for both.

• Members

The pedal has less headroom. I feel I have to use an Ebtech line-leveler with mine. In the loop-stage, that is.

have you noticed that with any amps other than the Framus? I ask because I've had no issues with it on a variety of different amps, but they've all had good tube buffered loops. I do remember having issues with any pedals on the loop of the Cobra though.

• Members

The Decimator is a great piece of equipment. Gets rid of hiss and controls feedback yet still allows long notes to ring out without cutting them off.

There are worse ways to spend 450 bucks.

I know what a Decimator is/does, I have one.

But spending $450 just to get rid of "hiss" is {censored}ing fail. Sorry.

• Members

Saying that it "just gets rid of hiss" is an understatement. Yeah it gets rid of hiss, but it also gates your guitar so you don't have to be jumping on the volume knob during fast break parts, and you don't have to worry about taking it out of the path during clean parts, and it won't cut off your lead notes either. Plus it is almost completely transparent so it doesn't alter your sound at all.

Totally worth the money.

• Members

One key advantage to the pedal is that you have the ability to switch it on or off easily (via your foot). This comes in handy if you like to clean up with the volume knob. The Decimator is fantastic until you lower your guitar volume... then you run the risk of your notes dying off prematurely etc. So it's nice to be able to switch it out of the signal patch when you don't want this. Alternatively you could use a GCX or something for this, but that's quite a lot of complexity.

• Members

The Prorack is an intregal part of alot of people's rigs myself included.

You should find out what benefits a good gate can have for your sound before you bash it honestly.

The Prorack G is in a Class all it's own. Maybe you;ve only had experience with the gating cababilities of past units?

Do you play live? More importantly, do you use a input boost for your main distorted rhythm sound?

If you answered yes to either of those questions you would easily understand the importance of this piece of gear. It adds a great professional touch to your sound. I can't stand listen to the guys that have a ton of noise and feedback everytime they roll their volume knob up.

Stylistically, a gate can make sense as well as metal guys always want their palm mutes to be tight and abrupt.

• Members

One key advantage to the pedal is that you have the ability to switch it on or off easily (via your foot). This comes in handy if you like to clean up with the volume knob. The Decimator is fantastic until you lower your guitar volume... then you run the risk of your notes dying off prematurely etc. So it's nice to be able to switch it out of the signal patch when you don't want this. Alternatively you could use a GCX or something for this, but that's quite a lot of complexity.

I agree except for the part about the GCX being alot of complexity. It's purpose is actually the opposite and it does it's job well.

• Members

The only complicated thing about the GCX is buying/building all the cables.

Yup that can be a real pain but I've always said that racks are not for the faint of heart. Alot of work can go into making a guitar rig work correctly and efficiently unfortunatley:cry:

Archived