What to boost my amp with??????????

drvr6177

• Members

I have experience with 5 boosts:

Boss BD-2: pretty clean transparent boost. Robs a little bass but no mid hump and adds some treble. $80 new.

BBE Green Screamer: TS-9 like boost. Slight mid hump, bass is reduced a little, treble increased a little, but not as much as the BD-2. Not enough volume for my likes using it strictly as a booster (IME). $50-99 new.

Electro Harmonix Nano LPB-1: huge volume boost (adds gain the higher you turn it up), increased mids & bass, treble reduced a bit. $40 new.

Digitech Bad Monkey: good volume boost, slight mid hump & adjustable treble & bass knobs. Good bypass circuit, no tone loss. $40-60 new. Best bang for the buck, IMHO.

MXR Micro Amp: big volume (depends on where you set it). Very transparent, very slight treble boost, otherwise no frequencies added or reduced. $80 new.

All of the above pedals have decent bypass circuits. Only the EH LPB-1 is true bypass. I personally never heard any tone loss with any of these pedals. I still have the Bad Monkey & the MXR. What works for you may be entirely different. Good luck.

Archived