Peavey 5150 Cab modification final stage!!

Guiary

• Members

Hello all,

Just posting this up if anyone is interested in changing a couple things on their 5150 Cab... besides the normal response of selling it.

My final stage consists of replacing the back panel, which was a particle board type, to high quality birch plywood (like in normal cabs). Now since I couldn't find Baltic Birch I went with Russian Birch and hoping for the same results.

Just a couple more things to order: Jack Plate, Jack, and Peavey tolex.

Current changes that have been done and sound better in my opinion:

-Speaker change to G12K-100's in an X pattern with G12T-100's

-Thicker gauge wire than what was stock... Stock wire was ultra thin and I'm sure the upgrade couldn't harm

-and yes caulked the speaker baffle

With the current mods done I've noticed a fair bit of improvement in sound and it's good enough for me currently, but I'm the type of person who wants to see how far improvements can go. Since the back panel is the last easy to change part, as apposed to selling it, it needed to be done!

I'll update this once everything is all said and done, but it'll probably take me till late January... I'm Lazy

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well I finally got to AB the difference with cabs. Now I had to buy 3/4" rather than 5/8", which I wanted so the back board is not flush... Oh well.

Keep in mind I haven't tolex'd the new panels yet, so some additional sound differences may occur.

From comparing each cab, I heard a drastic improvement on clarity. More so than before I could really hear the speakers, their characteristics rather than a jumbled mess (Which I would have never said if I still kept the cab stock, cause it sounded fine before... sounds much better though).

The sound coming from the cab is way more directional, so much so it makes the other cab with the exact same speakers sound quieter, almost like there is a difference in efficiency between cabs... Might I remind you that both cabs are loaded with G12K-100's (99db efficiency) crossed with G12T-100's (97db efficiency). The Lows are much tighter and mids come out very very nice! The overall cab sounds a little brighter (I think that's due to the clarity), but not so bright that I have to turn down my Presence or Treble.Particle board really does ruin the sound if you're looking for directional/focused clear sound.

So all you die hard Peavey 5150 Cab lovers (like me) do yourself a favor and replace that particle board back panel or a Birch plywood one (I went with Russian Birch:thu:)

Gary

• Members

Does caulking the speaker baffle do anything besides seal it up better? Where do you actually place the caulk?

Besides that fact that I am giggling like an 8 year old saying "booby" out loud for the first time, this is a serious question.

Honestly I think it just seals it up better. It might provide a bigger sound but I think you'd benefit more with just the initial tightening of the screws that hold the baffle in place. Then again from remembering when I did it each cab was quite different meaning one might have had a massive space between the frame of the cab and the baffle and the other cab the baffle was tight to the frame, awesome quality control. Basically making the cabs constant to each other.

Mind you if I only had one cab, I'd do it for the psychological differences in improved sound:poke:

You place the caulk around the frame of the baffle and cab... I still might have a pic.

Let me check

• Members

Don't forget to wash the inside of the cab out with a garden hose. I suppose it's too late for that... I hope you did it when you had the chance!

:lol:

Assuming you know the youtube vid I'm referring to...

Why the little hunk of foam on the end of the wooden centre bar thing? Seems reasonable to believe it'd be more resonant if it were wood-to-wood, wouldn't it?

• Members

Hello all,

My final stage consists of replacing the back panel, which was a particle board type, to high quality birch plywood (like in normal cabs). Now since I couldn't find Baltic Birch I went with Russian Birch and hoping for the same results.

Gary

Every Marshall cab I've ever opened had a particle board back panel..........

• Members

Don't forget to wash the inside of the cab out with a garden hose. I suppose it's too late for that... I hope you did it when you had the chance!

:lol:
Assuming you know the youtube vid I'm referring to...

Why the little hunk of foam on the end of the wooden centre bar thing? Seems reasonable to believe it'd be more resonant if it were wood-to-wood, wouldn't it?

Nah didn`t use a garden hose, Just decided to drop the whole cab in a lake for a couple hours... Kept the speakers in too cause they needed cleaning too. Now it sounds to watery :facepalm:

That foam hunk was on there from factory:idk: but I did add foaming around the frame where the back panel screws on too. Now the panels are a bitch to take off, it`s like sucked on.

• Members

I just put a mix of Vintage 30s and Eminence V12's in mine and I'm in love with it. :love: The V12s seem to be a bit more warm in the lows and mellow in the highs than the V30s (I think), while the V30's do the metal thing well. They complement each other really nicely. Im sure there are better combos out there but I dont have the money or patience to constantly rotate speakers in and out.

I didnt know the back panel wasn't plywood, though, I may consider doing something about that eventually.

• Members

how are gtk100s with the 6505, been thinking about dropping sound new speakers in my combo

I think they match a 6505/5150 very well! IMO it has similar qualities to the V30 minus the mid spike but not nearly as `relaxed` as the T-75s or T-100s. Tighter on the lows and fairly smooth highs. Perfect complement to the T-100 I think.

Its weird to speak praise for these speakers and state that they feel similar to V30s since I`m not a fan of V30s.

T-100s just like the T75s with less highs and tighter bass.

Archived