A song on the Declaration of Independence, ideas anyone?

Swingfinger

• Members

I need to write a children's song that will accurately describe the declaration of independence and put it into context for a young child in grade school. It has to be written for the intended audience of grade school children but sung for a college class. Should I do a chorus/verse format? tagline format? just one long story? I am just looking for any ideas to bounce around.

Thanks,

Matt

• Members

PS I was thinking some kind of sing along audience participation like clapping or a sing along chorus would work well.... It isn't for a music class or anything. It is a history project where we can choose any creative method, we dictate the terms. I'm sure I will be the only one doing a song. "I'll have you folks sing with me so we can be awkward and embarrassed together".

• Members

I say study some children's educational songs that are perceived to work (maybe some of the Sesame Street stuff or something).

A repeating full chorus might be a bit much. I like the idea of a tag line at the end of each verse -- and maybe a part to come in around the 60-66% section of the timeline that might repeat at the end.

• Members

A repeating full chorus might be a bit much. I like the idea of a tag line at the end of each verse -- and maybe a part to come in around the 60-66% section of the timeline that might repeat at the end.

The rules don't change when you're writing for children, you just have to adhere to them more closely. A pop song is a pop song. If you can fill out a chorus--which is the main idea of your song, whether for children or adults--about the Declaration, then use a chorus. Given your subject matter, you may want to boil it down to a one-sentence refrain/tag that sums up the idea.

"This Land Is Your Land" is still popular with the elementary set, even though it's got a repeating chorus and all. Heck, I subbed in a music class where "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" was the feel-good hit of 3rd quarter.

• Members

Thanks for the tips guys... I am thinking that a simple melody with a good hook and basic chord progression + lyircs will be needed. The biggest problem is jamming the declaration of independence into a children's song and explaining it sufficiently without losing their attention... it seems nearly impossible.

However the teacher did email me today and said I could send her an MP3 and lyrics or sing it for her in her office after class if I don't want to do it in front of the class.

• Members

I love exercises like this. Here's how I'd tackle it. Kinda rough, but I threw this together in about 20 minutes, after coming up with a list of words and phrases everyone associates with the declaration. Might need a bridge too, maybe something funny about fireworks or John Hancock or something. Throw together some simple chords in there and you're good to go....

Four score and seven years ago

Our Forefathers told King George

• Members

I am very tempted to use that as a base for my song with some reworking of the lines
:o

I have been trying to rework nursery rhyme melodies into a song with new lyrics. London Bridge seemed like a good place to start.

That's a great Idea. Bob Dylan used to write lots of his early stuff around classic folk melodies.

And feel free to take anything from my thing, particularly the idea of eyhming "People" and "Equal," which may just be too good to waste.

Love to hear what you come up with. Post us a link when you're done.

M

• Members

That's a great Idea. Bob Dylan used to write lots of his early stuff around classic folk melodies.

And feel free to take anything from my thing, particularly the idea of eyhming "People" and "Equal," which may just be too good to waste.

Love to hear what you come up with. Post us a link when you're done.

M

Thanks man :)

Don't expect too much... I am an amateur guitar player and singer at best :D

I might need to throw in a few more child friendly metaphors and symbols like the song referenced earlier in the thread.

• Members

yo king george was da pimp

the new world put a crimp

on his cribs and his hoes

he said anything goes

i want highs you want lows

your tea party just shows

you ain't liking my taxes

so i'm invading yo asses

king george gonna make you

get straight

ship freight

how you like my red coats?

a-ha, a-ha

better than screwing goats?

a-ha, a-ha

a-ha, a-ha

Ben Franklin got mad

said, yo yo, mack dad

if ya don't want a slug

on that fancy white rug

ya wear on yer mug

pick some other suckers to bug

cause we want our own prez

give us liberty or give us death

ben f. gonna make you

go mad

ben f. gonna make you

wish you had

how you like my guerilla tactics ya'll?

a-ha, a-ha

shoot you up while you're walking up to this wall

a-ha, a-ha

(i'm hiding back here, ya'll)

(pass the hemp, yo)

one by land, two by sea

a-ha, a-ha

we ain't drinking your tea

a-ha, a-ha

we don't want tyranny

a-ha, a-ha

we prefer liberty

a-ha

• Members

yo king george was da pimp

the new world put a crimp

on his cribs and his hoes

he said anything goes

i want highs you want lows

your tea party just shows

you ain't liking my taxes

so i'm invading yo asses

get straight

ship freight

how you like my red coats?

a-ha, a-ha

better than screwing goats?

a-ha, a-ha

a-ha, a-ha

Ben Franklin got mad

said, yo yo, mack dad

if ya don't want a slug

on that fancy white rug

ya wear on yer mug

pick some other suckers to bug

cause we want our own prez

give us liberty or give us death

ben f. gonna make you

go mad

ben f. gonna make you

wish you had

how you like my guerilla tactics ya'll?

a-ha, a-ha

shoot you up while you're walking up to this wall

a-ha, a-ha

(i'm hiding back here, ya'll)

(pass the hemp, yo)

one by land, two by sea

a-ha, a-ha

we ain't drinking your tea

a-ha, a-ha

we don't want tyranny

a-ha, a-ha

we prefer liberty

a-ha

lol!

awsome man :lol:

have a recording I can listen to?

• Members

This is what I have so far, basically changed a few words and added another verse. I'm not sure if that last verse is too complicated for a child, but I have the chords and vocal melodies done so I'll record it tomorrow.

Our Great Declaration

Capo 5

Verse 1

More than 200 years ago

Our Forefathers told King George

• Members

This is what I have so far, basically changed a few words and added another verse. I'm not sure if that last verse is too complicated for a child, but I have the chords and vocal melodies done so I'll record it tomorrow.

Our Great Declaration

Verse 3

The French came quickly, to fight with zest

With mighty ships, to aid our quest

Against all odds, we won the war

The British Fell, Redcoats to floor

Black sky weaved with, blues and reds

Frosted greens and, rainbow threads

Fireworks rain down, on the water

To celebrate, our founding fathers.

Third Pre-Chorus

On July 4 when we sing in dance

We remember our independence

Chorus repeats

This song sounds like a sure-fire hit, baby! Sweet. Love your last verse. Only suggestion is I'd parse a few words. Reads like your jamming too many syllables in there, so it won't match prior verses. Here's my edit:

Verse 3

Our French allies fought with zest

With mighty ships to aid our quest

Against the odds we won the war

Drove the Redcoats off our shores

Now fireworks shoot over water

To celebrate our founding fathers

The skies alight with blues and reds

Frosted greens and rainbow threads.

Archived