A bluesy number

WrdsNmuzik

• Members

I make it a point to not comment on lyrics unless they're posted. Often too easy to get them wrong; plus having them laid out makes them a lot a easier to get a grasp/overview on. That said, sounds like these lyrics basically aspire to being a good ol' blues rockin' ode to love and lust. Most of the lyrics are well-worn. Probably the cleverest bit is the bridge chorus and the 'matter of taste' punchline. But bon moterie is probably not the point, here; sounds more like an excuse to play some blues licks and have some fun.

One note that's quite peripheral to the whole songwriting thing: sounds like there's a bucket and a half of compression on this and it's reacting with the bass (and likely some sub bass that's not showing up on my NS10m's) to eat the other instruments... Hear how the drums sound 'swallowed up'? -- there's no decay, the mix just closes up around them... since I'm (on the NS10m's but with EQ comp to bring them up on the bottom and smooth out the top) not hearing the bass (or anything else) blossoming out to swallow up the drums (and other instruments to some extent), I'm thinking there may be some sub bass that I'm not hearing (and that you may not be hearing) that is sucking up all the dynamic range and causing the other instruments to tuck in. Anyhow, that's for the recording forum, I guess. ;)

Fun tune. :)

• Members

Thanks very much, guys!

Blue:

1) Sorry! I always forget to type out the lyrics in here!

2) I do appreciate your comments about the compression and bassiness. I don't have a subwoofer, so I need all the feedback I can get) I was experimenting with compression and limiting settings (in Adobe Audition) so it probably got compressed at least twice. I replaced that file with a new, less bassy mix . . if you could give it another pass and let me know if there's any improvement?

And you're right, it's mostly a 'fun' piece, with the kind of 'regular' blues language that I usually never allow myself....I'm too wordy for my own good. I've noticed that people always seem to "perk up" when I play this one, as opposed to my more 'interesting' originals.

Archived