what was this cop thinking

murdock

• Members

Our local cops are pretty well-known for stopping and searching cars without reason or warrant. Happened to me a few times. If you give them a hard time about it, the bring up how they could give you a speeding ticket if they wanted to, and they offer "either you can LET us search your car or we'll make you wait until we get a warrant, which could take a few hours, and at that point, we'll be a little upsetand try a little harder to find something." They've also given plenty of well-publicized "sobriety tests" to sober people... Not breathelizers, mind you, but physical tests.

Well, if you have nothing to hide then just let them search the car.

The field sobriety test can be failed even if you are not drunk. Even advil can make you fail it. It's best to ask if they have a PBT you can use. Which is a portable breath test that they can carry in their cars. If you do fail the FST and then you get to the station and blow in the drager and it shows up that you are not legally drunk then it will be thrown out in court.

Keep in mind public intoxication has no legal limit. A lot of people don't realize this but...

Say you are riding with your buddy and you have both been drinking. You say "Well im not driving it'll be my buddy who gets the dui." Well he gets the DUI and you've been drinking too... so at that point you can't drive the car so you are in public so you get public intoxication and the car gets towed away. A lot of people feel they are safe for riding in the car drunk as long as they aren't the ones driving.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All I know is shooting an unarmed civilian is murder. End of story. Manslaughter at best. Why this cop hasn't been charged with a felony (and it seems he hasn't) is beyond me. I'm not prejudiced against police in the least but it's hard to see the other side of this story.

^^^This.

This happened in CA correct? Well CA has the death penalty and if that piece-of-{censored} cop is found guilty I hope he receives it. This isn't a 3rd world country, we don't have death squads.

• Members

Really!? Well I'm sure it wont be addressed at the station. I've been pulled over 5 times in the past month and I havnt recieved a single thing.

Well, they won't let you see the log unless you had a lawyer. But it is on a log. If you threaten to take action they will probably quit messing with you. Not saying for sure... But it's possible. I wouldn't deal with that sort of harassment.

• Members

^^^This.

This happened in CA correct? Well CA has the death penalty and if that piece-of-{censored} cop is found guilty I hope he receives it.

I agree with you but sad thing is that won't happen. There was a police officer who murdered his girlfriend and only got 7 years in prison. Messed up really.

• Members

I agree with you but sad thing is that won't happen. There was a police officer who murdered his girlfriend and only got 7 years in prison. Messed up really.

I'm sure the cop isnt going to make it 7 years in prison, prob be dead by the first year.

• Members

Our local cops are pretty well-known for stopping and searching cars without reason or warrant. Happened to me a few times. If you give them a hard time about it, the bring up how they could give you a speeding ticket if they wanted to, and they offer "either you can LET us search your car or we'll make you wait until we get a warrant, which could take a few hours, and at that point, we'll be a little upsetand try a little harder to find something." They've also given plenty of well-publicized "sobriety tests" to sober people... Not breathelizers, mind you, but physical tests.

Yeah, they do the same here. Must be a suburbia thing. If there's no gangs to bust in the area they pick on anyone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Here's another high school stoners meets cops story of mine from back then. This time my friends and I did indeed have herb us a quarter pound in fact, that sucked. But the nasty part is that the cops who found us were originally out looking for some senile woman who went out wandering in the night. When they found us there was suddenly something like six cop cars there. More cars than there were us, that's for sure. So what about the old lady? I guess they said '{censored} her, we have some high school kids to harass!'

They have a quota to fill, so they will jump on opportunities like this, and bend rules / ignore them to catch a criminal. In my case that meant the old lady search turned into a giant high school kid arrest :lol:... I wonder if that lady was ever found?

• Members
Well, they won't let you see the log unless you had a lawyer. But it is on a log. If you threaten to take action they will probably quit messing with you. Not saying for sure... But it's possible. I wouldn't deal with that sort of harassment.

I can walk in to the station and request my mugshots right?:thu:

• Members

Some people aren't interested in even going to college. I didn't and I actually made very good grades in school. I wanted to be police since I was little. I wasn't interested in all in going to college. No one is any better than anyone else for going to any sort of college.

If you want to go to college for a job that you want that is perfectly fine but some people don't want to go because it isn't required for the job that they love. And sometimes happiness and loving what they do is more important than trying to prove a point.

That's kindof like here... The kids who go to the big universities act as if they are better than the kids in the small town colleges. I can't stand that thinking. It's very high school.

I never try to pretend I'm the smartest guy in the world because I am not. But I do know how to do the job I love. And that's important to me and I honestly love it more than anything except for my family. Paying for college would be pretty pointless.

You can not go to college and be a perfectly successful happy individual. But when you say things like "Nah bro, just go to community college for 2 years then you can become a cop. {censored} be mad easy!" After which you move back in with your parents and guard the playground until your pension kicks in, then you're just a lazy {censored}

• Members

You can not go to college and be a perfectly successful happy individual. But when you say things like "Nah bro, just go to community college for 2 years then you can become a cop. {censored} be mad easy!" After which you move back in with your parents and guard the playground until your pension kicks in, then you're just a lazy {censored}

Well if that's all it takes to get the job then I don't see anything wrong with it. I haven't been to college for any number of years. All that is required here is a high school diploma and police academy.

• Members

That's really too bad, because there needs to be an example made out of that asshole. His actions, and the actions of other abusive cops, help contribute to hatred & violence against the police. I guarantee you that there are people out there right now who have seen/heard this story & are thinking "damn I'm not safe the police can murder me, I'd better arm myself so that I can protect myself against the police. Not only that but if I'm confronted by the police I'd better be prepared to shoot them before they shoot me."

I also can't help but think that if it had been a white kid none of this would have happened.:cry:

• Members

A lot of times they are not trying to bully you man. They are showing you that you cannot run over them and trying to make you scared to make stupid moves. There is no reason for them to talk to you like trash... no. But theres a reason they don't talk to you like their brother. They don't know you or what you are capable of and they see more bad than good.

And cops who cover for each other should also do life in prison.

There is an attitude of "ASSERTIVENESS" that demnonstrates situational control by an officer without lapsing into blatant attempted intimidation. To me that is like a Jr high bulley puffing out his chest and getting right up in your face. I find that behavior by anyone to be offensive, absolutely disrespectful and not called for. I do not intimidate and there in arrises a problem, for some reason, with certian cops, my failure to be intimidated seems to attack the ego of said officer and almost seems to be intimidating to them. (as stupid as that sounds)

You are probably a pretty good officer like hapless, but I am sure you guys can see why in recent years people trust the police less and less. If it weren't for the proliferation of video cameras and phones much of this stuff would just be ignored from Rodney King right up to this incident.

• Members
That's really too bad, because there needs to be an example made out of that asshole. His actions, and the actions of other abusive cops, help contribute to hatred & violence against the police. I guarantee you that there are people out there right now who have seen/heard this story & are thinking
"damn I'm not safe the police can murder me, I'd better arm myself so that I can protect myself against the police. Not only that but if I'm confronted by the police I'd better be prepared to shoot them before they shoot me."

I also can't help but think that if it had been a white kid none of this would have happened.
:cry:

Theres quite a few police brutality stories on white kids too. I don't think that had anything to do with it. You don't need to protect yourself from the police. Be cool and be respectful. Don't break the law. If they ask any questions just answer nicely. Don't say "I know my rights officer you aint searching {censored}." Because if you are talking to a crooked police officer that isn't going to go over well.

When I was 16 I was treated badly by one police officer. I was involved in a wreck and I gave him my drivers licence. He dropped it on the road and then screamed at me for over 20 minutes about how I was lying and didn't give him the licence. He gets out of the car and sees it laying there.

I could tell this guy should have not been working there. If you can't handle it and something like that pisses you off that bad you need to be elsewhere. But again what can you do about it? I mean theres no way you can avoid hiring these people.

People tell me I don't act like a cop... And I'm like how am I supposed to act? Some people don't look at it as human I don't guess. lol

• Members

LEO's are public servants. Nothing more, nothing less. There are two ways this happened:

1. The inexperienced officer pulled out his gun instead of his taser on accident. Still thinking it was the taser, he shot the man. This one is kinda hard to believe, but humans make mistakes. This is negligent manslaughter, and it's good for 10-20 years in prison.

2. The officer pulled out his gun and murdered the man because he was tired of the guy's bull{censored}. For this, the officer should be thrown into general population for the rest of his life, and without parole.

And anyone who stands up for the officer is certifiably insane.

EDIT: If the officer gets less than 10 years in prison, there should be riots in the streets. If he gets no prison sentence at all, he should be assassinated by the citizens.

• Members

Well if that's all it takes to get the job then I don't see anything wrong with it. I haven't been to college for any number of years. All that is required here is a high school diploma and police academy.

I don't have an issue with whether or not they went to college. I'm just saying that the job doesn't necessarily attract people dedicated to serving their community. I don't have too many problems with the cops here. The probationary cops that are usually around, while lazy as {censored}, don't bother anyone. Even so, I can't say I respect them. They just took the job because it there's a nice retirement bonus and there's little work involved. To me, thats no different than settling for a job at McDonalds because you're too lazy to find something better. I respect doctors and lawyers not because they went to an expensive school, but because they set out goals for themselves and applied themselves. If your goal is to be a cop and better your community, great. If you're just taking the job because you want an easy way to make a living that lets you mooch of your parents, then like I said you're just a lazy {censored}.

• Members

I don't have an issue with whether or not they went to college. I'm just saying that the job doesn't necessarily attract people dedicated to serving their community. I don't have too many problems with the cops here. The probationary cops that are usually around, while lazy as {censored}, don't bother anyone. Even so, I can't say I respect them. They just took the job because it there's a nice retirement bonus and there's little work involved. To me, thats no different than settling for a job at McDonalds because you're too lazy to find something better. I respect doctors and lawyers not because they went to an expensive school, but because they set out goals for themselves and applied themselves. If your goal is to be a cop and better your community, great. If you're just taking the job because you want an easy way to make a living that lets you mooch of your parents, then like I said you're just a lazy {censored}.

I don't know... I work with some pretty good people. Some of the people could have jobs that paid way more but they really love doing it.

If you are doing it to take an easy job then you aren't in it for the right reasons.

• Members

I don't know... I work with some pretty good people. Some of the people could have jobs that paid way more but they really love doing it.

If you are doing it to take an easy job then you aren't in it for the right reasons.

Well, yeah. Thats what I was saying. But in the suburban, primarily Italian areas of Jersey its common practice. You'd be hard pressed to find a public employee (cop, school principal, etc) that didn't just take the job so they could move back home and avoid living in the real world

Nothing against Italians btw, its just that these tend to be the neighborhoods where families have lived for generations and the people fear change. At least we have excellent subs

• Members
Well, yeah. Thats what I was saying. But in the suburban, primarily Italian areas of Jersey its common practice. You'd be hard pressed to find a public employee (cop, school principal, etc) that didn't just take the job so they could move back home and avoid living in the real world

Nothing against Italians btw, its just that these tend to be the neighborhoods where families have lived for generations and the people fear change. At least we have excellent subs

Dont argue, hes a cop:thu::cop:

• Members

Well I always look at it like theres a difference in someone who works as a police officer and lives as a police officer. I mean I know some guys who went through the academy easily. I mean anyone who is halfway smart and in okay physical shape can pass the academy.

I am very down to earth. It doesn't go to my head. I mean I can hang out with people and have fun and no one even thinks about me working there anymore. I do believe in upholding the law though.... Although I can't actually get ya for speeding. lol But no one ever knows that. Not with radar anyway.

Not certified to run radar. In some states they require it. In my state they don't. You have to pay extra to get certified with radar. Also not certified to use a baton either. Also I don't have a tazer. Getting mace certified is the worse... Got to get sprayed in the eyes. If you aren't certified to run radar you can write a ticket for reasonable improvement though or you can pace the car behind them.

They actually don't include radar in the academy here anymore. You have to take an extra course which I am going to do. Although some police officers who are NOT radar certified still write speeding tickets. But if someone had a lawyer and the lawyer found that out then they would be out of that ticket.

So the point in this is always find out what the officer who has built a case on you is certified to do. A lot of people assume that if someone is a police officer they are certified to do anything a police officer can do and that's not the case.

• Members

Where do you live where there is more crooked cops than good ones?

A lot of people mistake certain things that cops do and make it into "they are bad cops." For example the way they talk to you.
Police officers are trained to intimidate you.
If they talk to you like they are your brother when they pull you over if you are the type of guy to shoot them you won't be as scared to. When I first started I'd talk to everyone like they were my friend. I almost got ran over one time for it... I got hit a few times for it... Ever since I quit doing that nothing of the sort has happened. I am not mean to people but I do talk very firm and loud to them so they know I am serious. I don't let emotions get in the way of the job. I believe the law is the law. For example some police officers might let a cute girl go after doing 80 in a 65 zone. And then give an asshole a ticket. I don't look at it like that. No matter how nice someone is if they are breaking the law they should get a ticket.

What. The. {censored}. ?.

• Members
What. The. {censored}. ?.

Don't take it out of context. I was always told to be intimidating so no one runs over ya. But not what you were thinking. They are not trained to be assholes to you as I said after that.

I remember my first day I worked there they told me that... You better speak up you better let them know they can't run over you and I didn't.

I got punched in the face. :facepalm: haha

Archived