Vox High gain amp heads- anyone tried them?

petejt

• Members

Vox are renowned for their delicious chimey clean tones, Brian May's singing sustaining lead tones, and great cosmetics.

But what about crunch? Organic crackle? Mega chug? teh br00tuhlzz? :rawk:

You don't really see much from them in the higher gain rhythm department, and I mean all gain higher than some Beatles buzz.

Anyway, below is their 50 watt amp head. It says that it has modern high gain, and has EL34 poweramp valves so should have some bark and roar to it.

photo_000634.jpg

I'm just interested to see if anyone at Harmony Central has tried these out, or own one.

• Members

I played this amp recently and thought it was pretty good. But I thought the character of the distortion got a bit too fuzzy in the upper end of the range for me. An amp that is similar in features, general tone and price (I think) that I liked a little more was the Bogner Alchemist.

• Members
Found it! Heres the clip page:

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=user&value=dropthisd

And heres the thread:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2103317

Hey Valtiel thanks but that first version blows. :o lol :D

Here's the new remix including better drums and and chunkier, thicker rhy tracks.

The OD tones were all recorded thru the AC100 clean channel and Sunn Sceptre with my H&K Warp Factor pedal.

Vox AC100 new mix song

New thread post for Vox AC100

I'd suggest getting the 100 watt version. The overstock amps can be had on Ebay for about $800 or less. Some used may go for under $700. Mainly I like the amps' voicing because it matches the H&K Warp Factor pedal so well. I really don't even use the OD channels now only the clean channel with the H&K :D.

:o

Archived