Electric Amps thread

BlackHive

• Members

Chances of there being a list of Electric Amp owners here? Slim. I'm starting a thread anyway because these things don't get enough love, darn it. I currently have one on the way (to those of you who bid on or were watching the green one on Ebay just now.. nyahh nyahh nyahhhhh you're too slow) but have been wanting one for AGES. I compromised and bought a Matamp Roadster a couple years ago and was quite happy with it.. though, for reasons yet unknown to me, I suddenly decided to sell it to purchase a Matamp GTL I saw someone had for sale. Once my Roadster was gone, the person with the GTL quit responding to my emails, though. :mad: I've been on a quest to replace my old Matamp ever since and I just had to jump when I saw a used Electric amp for sale. With Om in the background, I looked over pictures of the amp they made for Al in Om, went over to stonerrock and ran into a review by one of the guys from Yob where he just raved about his, and that sealed it. So who else here has played one, been to a show where someone used one, etc? What'd you think? Got a Matamp instead? Well Matamps are awesome so tell me about it too.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a Matamp cab, does that count?

Hey guess what... you're part of the club. What speakers does yours have in it? I'm considering selling off my Marshall 1960AV if it doesn't jive well with this incoming amp. The V30s in it just didn't work well with my Matamp and, after A/Bing it with my Genz Benz cab with my Mark III (sold yesterday), I preferred the Genz Benz with that amp as well. Not sounding right with the Electric Amp would be strike 3 for it.

• Members

Hey guess what... you're part of the club. What speakers does yours have in it? I'm considering selling off my Marshall 1960AV if it doesn't jive well with this incoming amp. The V30s in it just didn't work well with my Matamp and, after A/Bing it with my Genz Benz cab with my Mark III (sold yesterday), I preferred the Genz Benz with that amp as well. Not sounding right with the Electric Amp would be strike 3 for it.

I pulled my quad of 55hz blackback g12ms out of my Marshall cab and put them into the Matamp, one of the best gear moves I made.

• Members

Chances of there being a list of Electric Amp owners here? Slim. I'm starting a thread anyway because these things don't get enough love, darn it. I currently have one on the way (to those of you who bid on or were watching the green one on Ebay just now..
nyahh nyahh nyahhhhh
you're too slow) but have been wanting one for AGES. I compromised and bought a Matamp Roadster a couple years ago and was quite happy with it.. though, for reasons yet unknown to me, I suddenly decided to sell it to purchase a Matamp GTL I saw someone had for sale. Once my Roadster was gone, the person with the GTL quit responding to my emails, though.
:mad:
I've been on a quest to replace my old Matamp ever since and I just had to jump when I saw a used Electric amp for sale. With Om in the background, I looked over pictures of the amp they made for Al in Om, went over to stonerrock and ran into a review by one of the guys from Yob where he just raved about his, and that sealed it. So who else here has played one, been to a show where someone used one, etc? What'd you think? Got a Matamp instead? Well Matamps are awesome so tell me about it too.

Too slow? It's been up there for almost a week. :lol::lol:

I was watching it, but I'd have gone for the Matamp Black that was up last week before the Electric. As far as I know, there isn't much difference.

• Members

Too slow? It's been up there for almost a week.
:lol:
:lol:

I was watching it, but I'd have gone for the Matamp Black that was up last week before the Electric. As far as I know, there isn't much difference.

Eh I was waiting to see if I could get it below the buy-it-now price but started to worry too much about someone else hitting buy-it-now and had to end it early. Everyone else waiting until the end of the auction... too slow. ;)

But yeah there's a big difference between the Black/Green era Matamps and Electric Amp amps. The 90s and 2000s Matamps started using smaller, cheaper transformers, PC boards instead of turret boards or PTP construction, cheaper and thinner chassis, and were often rushed out the door without any testing at all. Matamp USA that imported them from the UK complained a lot about things like amps being DOA out of the box or the turrets falling out of the boards inside once the amp heated up because Matamp didn't press them into place like they were meant to but soldered them in instead.. pieces of the amps would literally fall off inside and get sent back to them. They got so sick of doing warranty repairs for Matamp that they just started taking apart new ones out of the box and fixing them before shipping them to the end customers. It sounds like Matamp kind of slid downhill after Mat Mathias died in 89. They made a few real gems since then, though! On the other hand, Electric Amps insists on using a thick steel chassis, huge hand wound Mercury Magnetics transformers, all point to point construction inside, etc.

Weird thing is that Black / Green Matamps could be anything. I've seen Matamps with a "Green" faceplate on front that are GT120s, Roadsters, GTOs, and GTLs. Same with "Black" amps. The models that they may be behind the faceplate vary significantly. But the Roadster I did own was, as of right now, my favorite amp I've ever owned. Amazing piece of equipment. We'll see how the Electric stacks up in a few days.

original.jpg

• Members

Eh I was waiting to see if I could get it below the buy-it-now price but started to worry too much about someone else hitting buy-it-now and had to end it early. Everyone else waiting until the end of the auction... too slow.
;)

But yeah there's a big difference between the Black/Green era Matamps and Electric Amp amps. The 90s and 2000s Matamps started using smaller, cheaper transformers, PC boards instead of turret boards or PTP construction, cheaper and thinner chassis, and were often rushed out the door without any testing at all. Matamp USA that imported them from the UK complained a lot about things like amps being DOA out of the box or the turrets falling out of the boards inside once the amp heated up because Matamp didn't press them into place like they were meant to but soldered them in instead.. pieces of the amps would literally fall off inside and get sent back to them. They got so sick of doing warranty repairs for Matamp that they just started taking apart new ones out of the box and fixing them before shipping them to the end customers. It sounds like Matamp kind of slid downhill after Mat Mathias died in 89. They made a few real gems since then, though! On the other hand, Electric Amps insists on using a thick steel chassis, huge hand wound Mercury Magnetics transformers, all point to point construction inside, etc.

Weird thing is that Black / Green Matamps could be anything. I've seen Matamps with a "Green" faceplate on front that are GT120s, Roadsters, GTOs, and GTLs. Same with "Black" amps. The models that they may be behind the faceplate vary
significantly
. But the Roadster I did own was, as of right now, my favorite amp I've ever owned. Amazing piece of equipment. We'll see how the Electric stacks up in a few days.

original.jpg

Very informative, and good to know. :thu:

• Members

The bad blood between matamp and electric amps came about due to a trade disagreement. Alot of what Joel speaks of when he slags off matamp is horse{censored}. Before they started making there own Joel was pimping matamps out as the best gear on the planet. the second his own line comes out they are unrealible and suffer from shoddy construction with under rated components? Yeah...

Just take a look at his ebay page for replacement OTs where he slags off pennine (hand made to spec no less) and partridge transformers. Pure dog {censored}. If anyone can tell me why MM trannys are better then one you've probably never seen and better than one of the classic sought after desings then I'm all ears. The guy is a buisness man. All he wants is your $$$.

• Members

The bad blood between matamp and electric amps came about due to a trade disagreement. Alot of what Joel speaks of when he slags off matamp is horse{censored}. Before they started making there own Joel was pimping matamps out as the best gear on the planet. the second his own line comes out they are unrealible and suffer from shoddy construction with under rated components? Yeah...

Just take a look at his ebay page for replacement OTs where he slags off pennine (hand made to spec no less) and partridge transformers. Pure dog {censored}. If anyone can tell me why MM trannys are better then one you've probably never seen and better than one of the classic sought after desings then I'm all ears. The guy is a buisness man. All he wants is your $$$.

Yeah a lot of that is true. It's obvious to see the guys proudly building up their own amps but it's also obvious to see the changes made to Matamps over the years and see where they've cheaped out bigtime. The guys from Sleep and High on Fire didn't ditch all their "Green" Matamps because Electric Amps tricked them into thinking they were crap. They just failed too often.

• Members

the second his own line comes out they are unrealible and suffer from shoddy construction with under rated components?

But they were. The mistake people make is to think that all Matamps are equal/comparable to the old products built by Mat Mathias. They are not. As soon as Mathias left that company it started to go downhill. The new amps had a quite shoddy construction and often used left-over parts of old Orange and Matamp amps, as well as other amps built in the same factory in Huddersfield. Ever wondered why the Green/Matamp amps seem to use Hiwatt knobs, Orange or Ashdown chassis etc. That

• Members
But they were. The mistake people make is to think that all Matamps are equal/comparable to the old products built by Mat Mathias. They are not. As soon as Mathias left that company it started to go downhill. The new amps had a quite shoddy construction and often used left-over parts of old Orange and Matamp amps, as well as other amps built in the same factory in Huddersfield. Ever wondered why the Green/Matamp amps seem to use Hiwatt knobs, Orange or Ashdown chassis etc. That

• Members

Those are actual photos of Matamp amps and what they show (recycled old or cheap parts, shoddy soldering, cheapish-looking PC boards etc.) seems pretty consistent with what I have read about their ways to manufacture products.

You can post some photos and make me change my opinion but working with what I've seen so far, I pretty much stick to my own conclusions.

Alot of the bad blood came about because essentially joel used the matamp name and designs to launce his own amps

I do not know all the details but as far as I know, Electric was originally founded to build cabinets because Matamp didn't supply them. When they decided to start building amplifiers, an engineer from Matamp actually designed the very first of them. That's hardly a ripoff in my book.

Archived