Peters Amps Owners Club

firejack018

• Members

Well I am a relatively new Peters owner. I got a used Custom dual channel with the warhawk, and harrier channels. I love the warhawk channel. I have had a lot of other amps, and even with the small 20 watt output section into efficient speakers (eminence man-o-war 102db) it is freaking loud!!!!

Here is a clip I recorded a little while ago (spent about an hour writing, and recording).
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7193445

I will post a get shot of the old small chassis dual channel later today. It is a bit of a tight fit.

I also want to apologize to James...I am planning on moding the harrier channel into a hybrid harrier/mesa loanstar clean channel. It sucks to mod such a cool amp, but I can't afford a new dual channel (I am not working right now) and I love to tinker with amps. I am documenting everything that I do so that I can turn it back to stock if it doesn't sound great. Also I studied Electronics engineering at college so I know how to document it properly, and turn it into a schematic. I also will not share that schematic since it is a piece of art, and I am sure that James doesn't want schematics of his amps out there.

Heya Ryan. :)

This sounds like an interesting project.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

And nice clip. :thu:

I can hear the same throaty growl in the tone as my Gryphon has.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I should also mention that the Peters with the man-o-war is a killer combo!!!! I have a good collection of speakers, and that one is the winner so far, but I will be trying some G12K100s after I start working.

I'm looking forward to doing some speaker comparisons with my Gryphon but finances are a bit tight at the moment. :cry:

What speakers are you guys using with your Peters amps?

• Members

Heya Ryan.
:)

This sounds like an interesting project.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

And nice clip.
:thu:
I can hear the same throaty growl in the tone as my Gryphon has.

So far I have traced out the schematic for the Harrier channel. My next step will be taking a lot of pics that I can add notes to so that I can return it to stock if I want to. Then I will make my plan of action for moding the channel. I am moving at a snails pace with this because I am not working, and I am just waiting to hear back about some potential job offers. I will post more info, and clips when it is done.

That growl is wicked cool!!! I love putting my neck pickup into this channel, and just playing around in the 12th position. The pick attack sounds so cool doing this!!!!

• Members

I am planning on moding the harrier channel

I'm sorry to have to say this, but I want to warn you in advance. If you modify the amp, I may not support it. I may even outright refuse to service the amp in the future.

The standard warranty for my amps is two years transferable, however I tend to cover amps longer at my discretion. That's to say after inspecting the amp--irrespective of its age--I may repair it for no charge if it doesn't appear to have been abused/misused/modified and so forth. I've already done this for a couple amps. (It's more realistic than saying the amps have a "lifetime warranty" since most companies with "lifetime warranties" on their products are quick to dishonor that warranty noting clauses in their warranties which excuse them from their own warranty.)

However if the amp is modified by someone else, any number of things can be wrong with it that I wouldn't be aware of. Servicing the amp can take a lot of time and cost a lot. That amplifier was already modified by me twice (one time it was modified extensively), and I don't like the idea of the circuit board seeing more heat/solder flux (and possible other contaminants) than that. It's possible after more mods the board may become conductive to a small extent, causing noise issues. For my new amps (and for my amps made in the last few years) I use board material which is even more moisture resistant, but even so there are limits to how much you should tinker with something.

If you modify this amp, I can't be considered responsible for servicing it should it need repair. If the amp ends up requiring half its circuitry replaced that's not going to be fast work, it won't be cheap and it could end up causing a lot of grief to the next owner of the amp (if you sell it after modifying it). So if you do modify the amp, keep that in mind. Also be sure to disclose this to the person you sell the amp to, if you sell the amp.

• Members

Hi James,

Thanks for keeping it clear. I wouldn't expect you to cover anything on this amp, and I generally service my own amps. I am planning on being very careful in doing this mod. I have a lot of experience soldering, and working on electronics in general. I am basically going to keep some parts of the Harrier, but change others. I am going to plan this to minimize the amount of parts that have to be replaced.

Thanks for the warning about the board already being modified. Can you give me some idea about what has been done so that I might be able to stay away from those parts to not stress the board any more then I have to??

If I had the budget right now I would be getting you to build me a new amp, but since I am not working right now I will be moding this for now to hopefully get a clean channel that will complement the warhawk channel. This should be good enough to keep me occupied until I have the cash to get a custom built to my specs. I just personally find it pointless to have an amp with no clean channel. This is no fault of yours since you built it to the specs of whoever ordered it.

I also must say that the Warhawk channel has gone head to head with all the following amps, and has destroyed them all. Dual rectifier, VHT 50/CL, ENGL E530, and Randall Recto, and Ultra lead modules.

• Members

Thanks for the warning about the board already being modified. Can you give me some idea about what has been done so that I might be able to stay away from those parts to not stress the board any more then I have to??

I'm glad you understand. I've had to repair a couple of my amps which were modified by other techs and both times it was very frustrating. I left my prior job (and started my company) primarily because I was getting tired of fixing mistakes of other technicians (and sometimes engineers). It also sucks when someone has bought the amp on the used market and the amp has a problem due to the previous owner modifying it. If they bought it used they don't want to pay a lot to get it repaired, and if I have to spend a long time fixing it (since I have to discover all that has been done and test every difference or replace everything) I have to charge more than they want to pay.

I'm sorry but I can't tell you something that specific, partially because of just how extensive the modifications were. So all I can say is: any modifications by anyone other than me will void the warranty, and I may refuse to service the amplifier in the future. You should seriously reconsider modifying this amplifier if that's a concern.

• Members

I also must say that the Warhawk channel has gone head to head with all the following amps, and has destroyed them all. Dual rectifier, VHT 50/CL, ENGL E530, and Randall Recto, and Ultra lead modules.

I hear similar tone characteristics of my Gryphon in clips of VHT Deliverance's.

I've always wanted to try a Deliverance but could never find them here in Australia.

I'd love to play and compare them side by side.

How did the VHT 50/CL compare?

• Members

Mod update. I have most of the mod installed. I am getting a killer fat blues tone!!!! I just have to clean up the clean channel, and tighten up the bottom end. I will be tinkering tomorrow. So far so good...no smoke, or electrocutions!!! This amp is great to work on. The power supply caps drain very fast when you turn it off!!!

• Members

I'm looking forward to doing some speaker comparisons with my Gryphon but finances are a bit tight at the moment.
:cry:

What speakers are you guys using with your Peters amps?

Currently, I have cabs with 2xV30s, 2xG12T75s, and 2xV30/G12H30. I like the combination of the V30/G12H30 the best.

However, I just bought an unloaded cab, and I'll be putting 2 warehouse green berets in it. James always said that was his fave speaker combo, so we'll see how it sounds when I get it all together.

• Members

Mod update. I have most of the mod installed. I am getting a killer fat blues tone!!!! I just have to clean up the clean channel, and tighten up the bottom end. I will be tinkering tomorrow. So far so good...no smoke, or electrocutions!!! This amp is great to work on. The power supply caps drain very fast when you turn it off!!!

Wow, sounds promising.

Any chance of demo clips?

• Members

Currently, I have cabs with 2xV30s, 2xG12T75s, and 2xV30/G12H30. I like the combination of the V30/G12H30 the best.

However, I just bought an unloaded cab, and I'll be putting 2 warehouse green berets in it. James always said that was his fave speaker combo, so we'll see how it sounds when I get it all together.

I have a WGS Veteran 30 and WGS British Lead in my 2x12 at the moment.

The Veteran 30 with the British Lead sounds very smooth.

I love it for soloing.

I was thinking of grabbing a WGS Reaper to throw in my 2x12 with my WGS Veteran 30.

The Reaper is WGS's version of the G12H30.

I want a bit more growl out of my 2x12.

Don't know if it might sacrifice too much smoothness though.

Oh, and I'd also love to try two WGS Green Berets together. :thu:

reddt1 How would you describe and compare the tones of each cab?

• Members

Hey there purplehaze.
:)

Have you had a chance to play the Chimera?

no. :facepalm: unfortunately. but its the one other amp besides a mako and my cobra i'm interested in. the more clips I find and hear the more I think about trying to trade my cobra for one. these amps sound so beastly. I don't buy many amps and when I do I do it right. a peters will be my next almost definitely. doing further research though it looks like peters is a straight up custom amp builder so I could work with him on basing something off of the chimera but making it perfect for everything else I do.....:love: i didn't realize this at first. the GAS is intense. I just don't have the cure...which is a lot of money. and your orange tolex on your gryphon is :love:

• Members

Oh and BTW, the white chicken-heads look sexy.
:love:

Also, have you got both boosts engaged?

I can't quite tell from that angle.

With those settings it must spit venom.
:evil:

I noticed you compensated by rolling down the highs and presence though.
:thu:

I did indeed. It was for a specific sound on a recording done last September I believe. Unfortunately, since that time the project/"band" I was working with disintegrated and I've not used the amp since. It sits covered and stored going unused/unappreciated (I know... sacrilege). Between that and a confluence of other events I'm about to depart this club as my amp is in this week's spam thread. I hate like hell doing it, but it makes the most sense for me at this time.

In any event, yes, it does indeed spit ferocious venom! :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So I finally recorded a test of the clean channel that I made the Harrier into on my custom dual channel. I am running the power section in vintage, low power. The guitar is an Ibanez RGA121 with a WCR Darkburst in the bridge, and an SD Alnico 2 pro in the neck.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7331095

This is an old song from a band that I was in about 6 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have always wanted to add power scaling to an amp. I have decided that my Peters is going to be my first. I have ordered the kit...

http://www.londonpower.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=27

And I should have it by the end of the week, I should also have my G12K-100s by then as well. I will be making some clips for sure once I get this all done!!!!

• Members

I have done some research, and the older power scaling kits do create noise, but the newer ones are supposed to be a lot better. I have tried a volume pedal in the loop to get a wife friendly volume out of this amp, but that didn't work too good. The kit that I am installing is very small, and doesn't require too many circuit changes. If it doesn't work out too good I will pull it out.

Archived