boogie .22+ lead drive mod - PICS

potaetoes

• Members

the 470k resistor (r292) isn't just REMOVED-- in fact, it's swapped out for a 1 meg resistor. oddly-- that's MISSING from potatoes' amp! i dunno if they changed it somewhere along the way-- but it seems to not be there!

Well that kinda makes sense. If Potaetoes removed the 470k and then replaced it with a 500k pot, then it would be the same as the Mesa version of two 1 Megs in parallel(the pot and the replaced resistor). But I'm sure Mesa has a reason for doing it their way.

This gain pot mod seems great for this amp, but I'm not sure I could mod my baby. And few people talk about the cleans on this thing, but they are awesome. Better than a Deluxe Reverb and more compact.

Thanks for the pics, potaetoes! Thanks for the mod info, newholland!

• Members

Well that kinda makes sense. If Potaetoes removed the 470k and then replaced it with a 500k pot, then it would be the same as the Mesa version of two 1 Megs in parallel(the pot and the replaced resistor). But I'm sure Mesa has a reason for doing it their way.

I think maybe their reason has to do with current handling? Considering that an amp usually specs 1/2w resistors or so, and that a normal 24mm Alpha pot in audio taper is rated for 1/4w, putting a 1M 1/2w resistor in parallel with a 1/4w 1M-A pot, should give 3/4w power rating for the final circuit, right?

As i was saying to newholland, lots of folks build with the 1/4w pots or even worse, anyhow... But being that this was a factory mod, it makes some sense that they might have considered current rating and that is why they chose the method they did?

Or perhaps they just had an awful lot of 1M-A potentiometers and 1M resistors lying around, and not so many 500k-A? Who knows? :idk:

-chris

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think maybe their reason has to do with current handling? Considering that an amp usually specs 1/2w resistors or so, and that a normal 24mm Alpha pot in audio taper is rated for 1/4w, putting a 1M 1/2w resistor in parallel with a 1/4w 1M-A pot, should give 3/4w power rating for the final circuit, right?

As i was saying to newholland, lots of folks build with the 1/4w pots or even worse, anyhow... But being that this was a factory mod, it makes some sense that they might have considered current rating and that is why they chose the method they did?

Or perhaps they just had an awful lot of 1M-A potentiometers and 1M resistors lying around, and not so many 500k-A? Who knows?
:idk:

-chris

that's a plausible explanation.

i think having the resistor in parallel also makes the taper a bit better.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I know its asking a lot, but did anyone ever write up a walk-through or pictorial walk-through? The shared gain knob on this thing is killing me, both channels are amazing, but they really can't co-exist on one gain pot. I'm good with solder and de-soldering irons but really have no clue what I'm doing come time to read a schematic. Sorry to bump a 7 month old thread haha.

• Members

Well I've got the original schematics, or are you talking about a post-mod schematic?

I guess what I'm really wondering is if someone was able to detail what needs to be done, could the average Joe with little circuit board modding experience and a steady soldering hand do the mod? Or am I better off taking this to a tech to have it done?

• Members

Well I've got the original schematics, or are you talking about a post-mod schematic?

I guess what I'm really wondering is if someone was able to detail what needs to be done, could the average Joe with little circuit board modding experience and a steady soldering hand do the mod? Or am I better off taking this to a tech to have it done?

the hardest part is getting access to the board - not super hard: take out the tubes, unfasten all the pots and jacks from the front of the chassis, unsolder the yellow wire that goes to the speaker jack, unclip the plastic standoffs, and carefully tilt the whole board 90

• Members

Awesome, seems easy enough. What specs do you recommend on the pot i'll be adding on this mod? Appreciate this so much.

either a nice 500k pot or a 1M with a 1M resistor across it. mine's just the 500k pot without the resistor, been working fine that way for years. :idk:

audio taper is probably best, but taper likely isn't critical.

btw, i don't remember whether anything has to be done about the reverb leads... one of those might also have to be unsoldered to flip the board. been a while since i had mine opened up.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

disclaimer: i'm a dumbass and forgot to check the value and taper of the pot. BUT, it should be somewhat higher than the resistor it replaces.
:facepalm:

anyway, here's the amp

DSC00285.jpg

here's the knob

DSC00277-1.jpg

here are the three wires that connect it to the PCB

DSC00278-1.jpg

here's a shot of the other side of the PCB, taken through the V1 cutout, where you can see R292 is missing. also (important), you can see the trace is cut between the solder points for the yellow and orange wires.

you could probably perform this mod without even removing the PCB from the chassis...

DSC00281_2.jpg

anyway... anyone who was interested in this mod, there ya go!

hello could this mod be done to a caliber .50 plus too?

• 5 months later...

Archived