L'Inconnue de la Seine / unknown woman of the Seine -- song exercise

Phait

• Members

I was reading about death masks and happened upon the history behind the CPR doll. It gets quite interesting.

"One such mask, known as L'Inconnue de la Seine, recorded the face of an unidentified young woman who, according to one oft-repeated story, had been found drowned in the Seine River at Paris around the late 1880s. A worker at the Paris morgue was so taken by her beauty that he made a plaster cast of her face. She was considered so beautiful that in the following years copies of the mask became a fashionable morbid fixture in Parisian Bohemian society.

The face of the unknown woman was used for the head of the first aid mannequin Rescue Annie. It was created by Peter Safar and Asmund Laerdal in 1958 and was used starting in 1960 in numerous CPR courses. Therefore, the face has been called by some "the most kissed face" of all time."

- http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/dec/01/france.art

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Inconnue_de_la_Seine

I find this story so incredibly interesting I want to write a song about it. But I thought I would share it with you guys, maybe we can engage in a writing exercise of sorts - such a captivating tale has to be good fodder for song.

• Members

Perhaps envisioning this tale as a movie scene. What would come to mind when scoring/writing for such a scene? In my head, it's something a bit ethereal and atmospheric. This might invite an ambient background, light choir-like voices (think Graeme Revell)... one could take this story as it's known and expand it, because so much is unknown.

So I would propose lyrically interpreting this story uniquely in the song.

For a general foundation, I get more a sense of mystery and wonder, than anything somber or sad. I envision a scene at night along the Seine river where she slips into the water by her will (not accidentally), floats and lets herself succumb and drown in the water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Resurrected.

I finally got a couple minutes to sit down and write a little bit and remembered this thread, so I thought I'd jot down a couple ideas publicly and see if it sparks any interest. It's just a couple unfinished verses and a chorus, and some starter lines off the top of my head, nothing finished.

In keeping with the idea of a story, these verses should probably be considered for the second half, kind of the 'daybreak' scene. I considered a different way to go, exploring more of the background and ending the song when she jumps. Might be a good way to go too. Anyways, here's some ideas...

Ecadavre Feminin Inconnu (how she was listed in the morgue - unidentified female body. Maybe just 'Feminin Inconnu'?)

CHORUS maybe:

face cast in effigy

lost for all the world to see

Hope lost in a young girls' dream

Carried away by the river Seine

A daybreak mist upon the quay

overstepping a stone lined bank

Just beyond, hours out of reach

A smiling face draped in a chemise

Not 20 years of age, fairest hair, disengaged

The ideal image of lovliness and rage

What did you surmise

what caused your gentle smile

Fragment:

.................. rising with the tide

Let it be known that I lived and died

Fragment:

A beautiful one lost of soul,

• Members

If we're doing this as an exercise, what I usually do when writing a song is get a concept, and then try and fit actual words around it later. With this, one thought I have is of a young beautiful girl who is unhappy. Perhaps her unhappiness is caused by her beauty, and how nobody notices anything else about her, or doesn't take here seriously.

Another thought I have is using the water as a mirror somehow, although this might be more reminiscant of Narcissus.

Edit: Maybe a line like:

Rippling reflections and remembrances

Of lonely nights and empty dances

As you can see, I am a fan of alliteration. ;)

• Members

There is a lot of speculation about the reason behind the girl's death... that I think was the original idea here, to speculate and paint the picture. I thought maybe Phait would like to organize since he started the thread...

Another thought I have is using the water as a mirror somehow

Sounds like a good idea

• Members

There is a lot of speculation about the reason behind the girl's death... that I think was the original idea here, to speculate and paint the picture. I thought maybe Phait would like to organize since he started the thread...

Sounds like a good idea

Where is he? I like this one.

EG

• Members

I guess he's not checking the forum too much. I'd say have at it if you want to. There's already numerous books, songs, and poems on the subject- might as well add one more :) .

BTW, I'M BACK from the ice storm! Internets! Lights! Heat! Awesome! Well, except for the in-laws- they probably won't get power for another week so they're staying with us...

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled topic.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Man it's been awhile since I've visited this particular forum. Sorry, real life and laziness beckoned.

I'm still interested in doing this as a song personally, but things are in a rush atm so I'm not sure I have time to write.

Archived