Clean Boost Vs. Boost on gain channel

mike moriarty

• Members

Me and my freind have been going back and forth on this one lately. I use a boost (TS9) on the Lead channel of my amp. He uses his boost (Line 6 POD) on the clean channel of his amp.

My opinion is that clean boosting kind of defeats the purpose of an expensive tube amp because 90% of your sound is coming from the pedal istelf, and the tubes just give it a little bit of an organic feel.

I think using a boost on the gain channel of your amp makes much more sense because you are still getting the natural sound of the tube amp, only with a little more gain, tightness, clarity, ect.

What do you guys think?

• Members

I don't think you understand the meaning of a clean boost. If 90% of you sound is coming from a pedal then it's not clean boosting.

Clean boosting means you're using say a Tubescreamer set for 0 gain and almost max volume to push, be it your clean or dirty channel on your amp, harder. Getting more compression, volume and sustain.

I think your friend is using the Line 6 as a distortion pedal and using his amp only for clean sounds. This is not clean boosting

• Members

A clean boost has no gain it boosts the signal from your guitar and adds the pedals EQ.

where as the boost is the same but adds a little gain.
Its up to you what you like, but its just an extention of your guitar and not changing the sound of your amp, but the output of your guitar.

• Members
I see what you mean but he is boosting the clean channel, so I dont think my wording was too far off.

Actually the wording is quite important ;)

Because it appears that what you describe is that your friend does not boost his amp, but rather runs a distortion pedal into it.

You otoh, appear to boost your amp.

And yes, out of the two of you, you get the most "authentic" tube tone.

• Members

I see what you mean but he is boosting the clean channel, so I dont think my wording was too far off.

It must sound bad.

I would never boost with a pod, I would only use the amp as a power amp and leave it clean and use the pods distortion like a spider valve. what amp is he using?

And yes we are sticklers, welcome to HCAF.

• Members
Actually the wording is quite important
;)

Because it appears that what you describe is that your friend does not boost his amp, but rather runs a distortion pedal into it.

But isn't running a distortion pedal through an amp technically boosting it?

Damn you guys keep {censored}ing with my head.

• Members

But isn't running a distortion pedal through an amp technically boosting it?

Damn you guys keep {censored}ing with my head.

No, not in the way your friend is using it. There is no boost happening there. Thats just a dirty signal making it into the clean section of the amp.

Boosting is when your guitar's output is greatly increased, but kept clean, then fed to your amp. The input sensitivity of your amp will get overdriven and will cause a cascade of gain.

-D

• Members

No, not in the way your friend is using it. There is no boost happening there. Thats just a dirty signal making it into the clean section of the amp.

Boosting is when your guitar's output is greatly increased, but kept clean, then fed to your amp. The input sensitivity of your amp will get overdriven and will cause a cascade of gain.

-D

So then I guess I am not technically boosting my Lead channel then because it is not kept clean?

• Members
So then I guess I am not technically boosting my Lead channel then because it is not kept clean?

If you are trolling, you are good :D

But, very simply put:
If the volume of your guitar with your pedal in the "on" position is higher than the volume of your guitar with the pedal on bypass, you are boosting.

Distortion or not.

• Members

If you boost your lead channel, is the tone still distorted?

Yes because you're not changing the entirety of the tone. You're just enhancing it with the pedals flavor, adding compression and saturation depending on the pedal used. This is boosting

If your friend uses his POD into the clean channel, does the sound still remain clean?

No because your friend is using the POD as a distortion unit to alter the entire tone, hence a clean tone becomes significantly altered when the pedal is engaged. You are not enhancing the tone, you're totally altering the nature of the tone. This is NOT boosting

Archived