Laney lovers: TT-50, TT-20 and LC-30

RiderOnTime

• Members

Here's my current dilemma: I own a TT-20 and a TT-50 (both combos); I use the 50 for gigs because it's extremely versatile, having three channels and a boost, two master volumes and individual treble, middle and bass for each of those channels. It's well built, with a ply cabinet. So far so good, right?

The thing is, whilst the drive and gain channels are extremely good, the clean isn't quite up there. It's not bad but it's a little lacking in depth.

Now, the TT-20 (no longer made) is a single channel amp, housed in a particle-board cab, complete with original and not particularly popular H/H speaker. It's a little noisy at times (I got it second-hand and suspect it suffered a little with its previous owner) but it's difficult to get a bad sound out of it, even when I'm the guitarist in question! The clean sounds also seem to have that shimmer and warmth that its bigger brother the TT-50 doesn't.

So my question is basically...why does the theoretically better (and the specs are better) amp not sound as good as the lower-end model?

The 50 is EL34 driven as opposed to EL84s on the 20. Significant in this instance?

I've always been a fan of the LC-30 and have recommended many people to buy them. Given the big price difference between the LC range and the TT range, some would say the TT is aimed at bigger wallets (how I got one then I don't know!!) and arguably more 'serious' users (debatable, I know). But!! The LC's clean channel again out-performs the TT's in my opinion.

So my next question is, would I be incredibly stupid to sell the TT-50 and get a LC-30? The LC, I believe, is particle-board as opposed to a ply cab, which always seems to indicate a lower status in the manufacturing stakes, which in turn causes slight concerns as to overall build quality...

What do you reckon?

• Members

Here's my current dilemma: I own a TT-20 and a TT-50 (both combos); I use the 50 for gigs because it's extremely versatile, having three channels and a boost, two master volumes and individual treble, middle and bass for each of those channels. It's well built, with a ply cabinet. So far so good, right?

The thing is, whilst the drive and gain channels are extremely good, the clean isn't quite up there. It's not bad but it's a little lacking in depth.

Now, the TT-20 (no longer made) is a single channel amp, housed in a particle-board cab, complete with original and not particularly popular H/H speaker. It's a little noisy at times (I got it second-hand and suspect it suffered a little with its previous owner) but it's difficult to get a bad sound out of it, even when I'm the guitarist in question! The clean sounds also seem to have that shimmer and warmth that its bigger brother the TT-50 doesn't.

So my question is basically...why does the theoretically better (and the specs are better) amp not sound as good as the lower-end model?

The 50 is EL34 driven as opposed to EL84s on the 20. Significant in this instance?

I've always been a fan of the LC-30 and have recommended many people to buy them. Given the big price difference between the LC range and the TT range, some would say the TT is aimed at bigger wallets (how I got one then I don't know!!) and arguably more 'serious' users (debatable, I know). But!! The LC's clean channel again out-performs the TT's in my opinion.

So my next question is, would I be incredibly stupid to sell the TT-50 and get a LC-30? The LC, I believe, is particle-board as opposed to a ply cab, which always seems to indicate a lower status in the manufacturing stakes, which in turn causes slight concerns as to overall build quality...

What do you reckon?

well.. the tt50's got the big burly iron (read, more expensive).. so i'm sure it'd cost more-- but el84's definitely have a different sound to them that pretty much fits the description of what you're saying-- more top end ring.

i wouldn't ever say it's 'stupid' to prefer a lower wattage 84 amp-- it comes down to your wattage needs and what you like! the cabinet's sure important-- but not always a dealbreaker.. hell-- if you like that sound and can work around it's percieved 'deficiencies'.. why not? i'd almost always rather play a cranked out 84 amp than a barely on 34 amp for my version of retard-o rock... but i don't use fx much.. just make sure these 'deficiencies' aren't ONLY theoretical constructs of 'a plywood cab is always better..' or 'more wattage is always better'..

• Members

Thanks for both replies.

I guess one of my main concerns is that the TT series (ie the current line-up without the lower-budget TT-20) is up near the top end of the Laney ranges and therefore if it's akin to 'flagship' status then it should be well-built, which my experience with the 50 would back up. The LC is great value but would it be as reliable?

The TT-20 is definitely sweeter sounding than most other Laney amps I've tried and overall probably has a greater array of pleasing tones than any amp I've encountered by any manufacturer in the sub-

• Members

well.. as y say, horses for courses!

sometimes the most expensive amp is the most ill suited fo the job.. so I wouldn't sweat the cost.. just go with your ears.

insofar as others... the new vox night train is looking pretty promising, tiny terrors a possibility, the ac15 is in there as well for the little guns and all in the pocket of simple amps that work we'll rolling off your guitar volume... worth a look!

• Members

Interesting tip-off about the Vox, thanks...I hadn't heard of those before! I just found a demo of it on YouTube (well, it gives a vague idea of something...) and I may well check them out. One thing which I noticed is the lack of reverb, although I guess there are ways round this. It's certainly a little different in appearance from most amp heads...

• Members

if you really want better sounding cleans. You're going to have to swap the power tubes from the TT50. They use {censored}ty tubes.

Now the Lionheart LH20 is a killer amp from what people have said.

For my style I prefer the VH100R. It has better cleans than the TT50 and has more depth as well.

• Members

Cheers.

I have a friend who uses a GH and gets some good sounds out of it but I'd prefer lower watts which I can drive more effectively and probably also a combo rather than a head and cab. Combos may be less 'rock 'n' roll' but I've got to transport the gear so the more convenient the better...

I really wanted to like the Lionhearts but they didn't win me over when I tried them. Don't get me wrong, they were good but I was hoping they'd be significantly better than the TTs so I'd be convinced to get one. That didn't happen...

Why are you messing around with the TT series ????????

Like I said before, they came closer at the time than any other amps in my budget to meeting my requirements and overall sounded good! Despite my gripes with them, I still think they're good amps. However, a better clean sound would increase my appreciation of the TT-50.

Archived