Working on a new song.

Drumas funk

• Members

Hey all, just working on a new song. Its called 'Excellent Question!'. I was thinking it might be a little redundant, but the repetitiveness might work for this one. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

http://www.soundclick.com/drumasfunk

Also, I have two other songs that weren't up before. 'My Brother; African Moon' and 'a posteriori VII' if you'd like to check them out.

• Members

Interesting stuff. Nice jazzy textures - I have a sample library called "Acid Jazz" which has a lot of loops/samples in a similar vein. I would like a more focused, melodic theme on the piano - right now it is kind of gestural without really expressing a lot of coherent musical ideas. But piece by piece the gestures sound great.

• Members

I see what you mean. I was going for a kind of random, spontaneous feel for the piano while the bass kind held the groove together. If I can come up with a solid theme for the piano I might try it out.

How do you think the levels are? I think there might be a bit too much bass in the mix. This was my first time getting the drums panned to one side without sounding terrible. I think it worked well for this one.

Oh, and thank you so very much for the critique. I also want to thank you for the time you took to listen to my song.

• Members

No problem - I always enjoy your stuff.

Here's something I did in a similar vein - I wish I wrote as well as Wayne Shorter.

Hey, I really liked that. I assume you played the guitar track right? Did you play any of the other instruments? Maybe the bass? It sounds so natural, I can't get mine to sound like that when I program it. Great use of effects also.

I also listened to The Knowledge of Engines and Cars because I remember reading the lyrics in your thread. It turned out way different than I expected, but I still really enjoyed it.

• Members

Hey, I really liked that. I assume you played the guitar track right? Did you play any of the other instruments? Maybe the bass? It sounds so natural, I can't get mine to sound like that when I program it. Great use of effects also.

Thanks. I'm playing both guitars, electric bass, Rhodes and synth. The drums and percussion are loops (probably from that Acid Jazz library) and the sax and piano are sampled from the original recording.

• Members

Hey all, just working on a new song. Its called 'Excellent Question!'. I was thinking it might be a little redundant, but the repetitiveness might work for this one. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Also, I have two other songs that weren't up before. 'My Brother; African Moon' and 'a posteriori VII' if you'd like to check them out.

I'm liking this quite a bit. It has something of the feel of 60's soul/funk jazz. I especially like the piano part but I think the drums are quite good, too.

While I appreciate the daring stereo of the mix I'm not sure it's entirely drilled in... I sort of felt like the drums and keys were really pushed hard up against their respective sidewalls. Actually, I sort of liked that but there was something also somehow a little wrong sounding... as though neither would have had quite the particular reverb halo they have in the mix in real life. But then what's real life, anymore, eh?

Anyhow, I dug it!

• Members

Thanks Blue, appreciate your taking the time to listen and critique my song.

About the stereo mixing, I see what your getting at. I was inspired to try it after listening to some Charles Mingus where I noticed that the drums seemed to be panned hard right and the lead instruments (sax, trumpet) were panned left leaving the bass and piano in the middle of the mix. And a Coltrane song (don't remember exactly which) where the bass was actually panned left.

Maybe if I were to pull the piano toward the center a little more It wouldn't feel so empty?

Archived