Digitech GSP1101- how good is its preamp?

petejt

• Members

Recently I've been thinking of what rack effect to get, and wondered about a rack preamp to complement my MarkIV.

I know that Digitech's rack stuff is quite reputable, good quality stuff.

I read that the GSP1101 has three preamp valves (12AX7s) in it, so I guess it is like Randall's MTS series stuff.

Does it sound good? Are the preamp sounds realistic?

Does anyone have any experience with it?

• Members

I have one, sounds okay. I had the 2120A and should not have sold it!

GSP1101 has some of it's own things up its sleeve and it works great in the loops for fx. As a preamp, depends on the amp. I used it on my JCM and Carvin X100B with decent results. I don't use the amp modeler part. Just the stomps and fx.

• Members

@Juggernaught- thanks for the recommendation. I'll try to track down Jiminosity.

I have one, sounds okay. I had the 2120A and should not have sold it!

GSP1101 has some of it's own things up its sleeve and it works great in the loops for fx. As a preamp, depends on the amp. I used it on my JCM and Carvin X100B with decent results. I don't use the amp modeler part. Just the stomps and fx.

When you say "depends on the amp", do you mean the poweramp that is used with it? Or the preamp model used?

I was deciding between the GSP1101, and a Lexicon MPX G2 which is basically the Lexicon version of it. The Lexicon doesn't have any preamp valves. I thought that the GSP1101 did which is why I'm enquiring about it. The Lexicon is secondhand, but comes with a pedalboard that ups the price a bit, to a bit more than a new GSP1101.

I was thinking of using the GSP1101 as a preamp to save space, rather than get a separate preamp.

I'm still very interested in it. :) How would the GSP1101 compare to the Lexicon MPX G2?

• Members

Fwiw, as a tangent, of the older Digitech rack preamp/processors ~ the ones that did have a pair of 12ax7s ~ I always thought the original 2101 had the most authentic tube tone... I never really cared for the changes they made with the two follow-up models (2112 & 2120). Other people's mileage may vary. :idk:

However, since I have no experience with the new 1101, I'm utterly useless to you regarding this thread's actual topic. :wave:

:facepalm:

;)

• Members

Well, how easy is the GSP1101 to programme?

I know that the Lexicon's programming is a bit deep, although does some pretty cool stuff. I have read that the only thing it does poorly is the intelligent pitch-shifting, but I don't really use much of that particular effect.

The GSP1101 new costs a little less than the Lexicon secondhand-combined with its own MIDI pedalboard.

Again I feel stuck about using something unique (and famous quality) to something is is also good quality but new.

Any rack users chime in?

• Members

I owned the Lexicon MPX G2 and I can't imagine a better sounding unit. However, it broke down on my three times. The first two it went back to Lexicon and the third it got thrown in the closet where it still sits to this day. Even though it may have been a lemon I would never depend on another Lexicon unit for my live rig.

I currently use the 1101 in my live rig and it's great for what I need. I don't use any of the preamp models since I have a Randall RM4 preamp for all my tones. It is MUCH easier to program than the Lexicon. The reverb in the Digitech is actually a Lexicon chip and that was the big selling point for me. I always hated the old Digitech reverb. It has been very reliable and I would have to recommend it simply as an FX unit but can't say how it would be as a preamp.

Archived