mesa dual rec question

Jcm800_6550

• Members

what exactly does the switch for the vaccum tubes or silicon diodes change in the tone , and also what does the power spongy or bold change , thanks alot guys im trying to figure out all this stuff before i buy one

-thanks guys

Silicone diodes is the solid state function. It bypasses your rectifier tubes. What does that translate to ? Less sag.... tightens up the amp and gives it the most growl.

Spongy vs bold is just something you have to play with to hear the difference to me. I am going to guess that 99% of DR players who are into Brootalz will be playing silicone diodes and bold. it gives you the biggest, meanest sound that the DR can offer.

• Members

If you buy one, you will want to do the following things to get the best tone. Mod your loop to serial, I can show you how, get a good EQ for the loop and a boost in front.

totally agreed (I have a Triple). However I haven't modded the loop. Is it pretty easy ?

• Members

If you buy one, you will want to do the following things to get the best tone. Mod your loop to serial, I can show you how, get a good EQ for the loop and a boost in front.

Amen.

Did you ultimately sell your DR Zoomzilla ? I thought you did.

I retubed mine and took it to a gig last weekend...... I wanted my Nitro before sound check was over.

EQ PEDAL IS A MUST.

• Members

Some prefer the 2 channel, as i do, I've played both and i own the 2channel. I find that the 2 channel's overdrive is less fizzy and thicker sounding. I do kinda like the 3 channel's clean but at the time, the clean wasn't an issue for me.

I'm actually trying to sell mine off so i can try out something else.

The tube rectifier to me makes it sound great for big rock sound but it pulls back on the attack. I'm considering messing around with the spongy and bold switch because after getting it, i immediately preferred the bold mood but my tastes have changed.

I can take some pics if you want of mine and i can make an attempt at making a youtube vid of the sound to show you what each switch does to it. Youtube compression makes the sound worse, but i have gotten some decent recordings of my playing on my camera.

• Members

yeah man id really like some vids of it, and maby go through all the bold spongy, diade and vaccume options that would be great,

thanks man

-------------------

selling a1981 jcm800 2204 all stock, new 6550 =c= tubes and 12ax7 preamp tubes

I'll get to it tomorrow morning while the family is out of the house, don't want to cause too much of a ruckus, especially now while everyone is asleep.

• Members

yeah man id really like some vids of it, and maby go through all the bold spongy, diade and vaccume options that would be great,

thanks man

-------------------

selling a1981 jcm800 2204 all stock, new 6550 =c= tubes and 12ax7 preamp tubes

How are you going to use the amp? Sitting at home and going OCD on preamp tubes and minute (that is MY-NOOT) changes to the midrange knob? Or are you going to be able to turn it up and use it in the middle of a band mix? Mesa recto amps aren't that complicated or magical, they just require the proper application.

• Members

How are you going to use the amp? Sitting at home and going OCD on preamp tubes and minute (that is MY-NOOT) changes to the midrange knob? Or are you going to be able to turn it up and use it in the middle of a band mix? Mesa recto amps aren't that complicated or magical, they just require the proper application.

Messing with the treble will change the sound big time, you turn it down at first losing highs and then as soon as it is almost off, it seems to come back with the highs on its own. That's the only complicated bit I've found with it.

• Members

Messing with the treble will change the sound big time, you turn it down at first losing highs and then as soon as it is almost off, it seems to come back with the highs on its own. That's the only complicated bit I've found with it.

I am not 100% sure what you mean there, but I think you mean the amp is pretty interactive with its EQ control, where one control can govern just how MUCH of another is in the mix...however, not to the extent that its difficult to work with.

Honestly to all, check the MESA manual with respect to settings, I mean - they know their amps. Its all about moderate use of most everything (EVEN MIDS, you midrange fools). These big ass amps aren't going to sound that good at low volumes.

• Members

I am not 100% sure what you mean there, but I think you mean the amp is pretty interactive with its EQ control, where one control can govern just how MUCH of another is in the mix...however, not to the extent that its difficult to work with.

Honestly to all, check the MESA manual with respect to settings, I mean - they know their amps. Its all about moderate use of most everything (EVEN MIDS, you midrange fools). These big ass amps aren't going to sound that good at low volumes.

Do you still have your triple? try it out on that, like if you have the treble kinda mid way up the slowly turn it down, it sounds like the treble goes away and is replaced with a less brittle sounding high end. It actually sounds really good with it pretty far down and the presence up a bit more.

• Members

yeah with the treble off its about as trebly as if its at 1 o'clock but better sounding. I think it may be because it affects the mids.

The tonestack on a recto is definately a unique creature

• Members

I owned a later model 2 channel. As others have said here they're incredibly touchy in the EQ dept. You EQ most boogies with your eyes closed for best results. What I mean by that is that is it's almost best to just pop the knobs off and put knobs on that don't have a tic mark on them. That way instead of letting some sort of preconcieved notion about how an amp should be set cloud your thinking you just twiddle in a systematic way till it sounds good.

IMO, people get all caught up in how hard it is to dial in Mesa stuff, especially Recto's because they're used to tone controlls that 1) Don't interact, and 2) aren't active.

If you score a Rectifier other than the Roadster or Road King you're going to want to boost it to tighten it up. Use something like a bone stock Tubescreamer. The reason is this...

If you look at various mesa amps you'll see that part of what makes the Recto's different from the Mark series is the way they deal with bass in the pre.

Mark preamp designs starve the preamp for bass then add it back in later via the EQ sliders. What this does is give the Mark series amps this incredible attack. It's not a huge sound like the Rectifiers tho. What they do is essentially the opposite. So what you do is hit the front end with a TS style boost that robs bass, then you add it back in via the EQ in the loop. It still sounds like a Rectifier but it's focused and punchy.

Somehow the Roadster/Roadking are really punchy without having to do all this. Not sure what changed.

Also bear in mind that Rectifiers can utterly dominate a mix like no Marshall ever built so watch your levels. You'll find that nothing sounds like a Rectifier in a band mix if it's all properly dialed in.

Edited to add: Get a membership going over at the boogie board. Great group of folks there.

http://forum.grailtone.com/

• Members

totally agreed (I have a Triple). However I haven't modded the loop. Is it pretty easy ?

It takes about 20 minutes to mod the loop. That is with a 3 channel. the schematics may be different for a 2 channel.

Stompbox, yes I sold it so I could buy the splawn. Actually made money on the deal! :thu:

• Members

First off , get 412 in here,

I have had my rec (3 Chan) for a long time and have read all the posts about how it is a must to use a 10 band in the loop, or do the loop mod. I was frustrated for a while with my rec with the tone seeming to change. Remember, I have tried everything short of the mod. The best configuration I have found is running 2 E34'ls in the middle sockets with 2 6L6's in the outer with the bias set to EL34 giving a hotter bias to the 6L6's. With the Bias being so cold on these amps to begin with I always wanted to get the Bias mod so I could get the ma's up, Using the E34L/6L6 tubes on the EL34 setting did this without the mod. I know people are going to go off on me, But I swear to god this eliminated the Buzz saw tone Rec's have, Gave it a more usable upper mid tone. And Gave that low end Massive bass more use. I still have that "wall of sound" that rec's are known for but it totally made the EQ on the amp "more usable" if you know what I mean. I have been running this Configuration for over 4 years now and have never even blown a fuse. I also forgot to mention that I am running an SD-1 into the amp. I use no drive, 60-70 % level and keep the tone at about 5%. I find that It smooths out the overall tone and gives the overall voicing that "less Grainy" sound that recs have

I'm not saying that A 10 Band will not do some good, I just find that it kills off that "punch in the face sound" that these amps produce. I can try to make some clips for you guys with some different settings (stock) (stock with The SD-1) (with the E34L's) (with the E34L's And SD-1) But I Dont know how to post it on the net. If someone would like to take the raw files and post them I'd be happy to send them to you.

"As I submit reply, I know I'm gonna get flamed" but i guess everyone has their opinion on what sounds good and what doesn't. This has been my only beef with my Recto. The cold bias they run. This configuration is my solution.

Archived