Biasing the 6505+

guitarbilly74

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah apparently the higher the bias the less voltage you will have on the test points.

So hotter is counterclockwise.

I like the colder settings better for what I am doing. It kinda tamed the amp a bit, which is probably not what you're looking for, but it worked for me.

So I don't have to test anything with a reader? I can just open the back of my amp, turn it counter clockwise and play after?

• Members

That makes the most sense. The XXX , like the 5150 has been used by many, many bands before becoming famous with thier endorsements.

Get a Newer XXX that has teh el34/6l6 switch wit teh bias controlz next to it.

Play teh el34's , and you essentially have the JSX without the Depth control.

You don't really need it as the XXX as active eq's. No noise gate as in the JSX ....but who cares? The XXX is a steal.

I loved it. It prompted me to buy teh Cobra.

That's probably the way I will go.

• Members

What? I'm trying to get some honest answers from you dude. I don't know anything about these things. I don't want to take a chance with it until I know exactly what to do.

ok sorry I'm jumpy today :lol:

standby on like you are ready to play. Not sure if any of it would make a difference though since you're not really measuring anything, you're just turning the pot.

• Members

scorpion, when you actually bias an amp and are actually reading the bias with a meter it needs to be connected to a cabinet and guitar, let it warm up for about 5 minutes, then switch it from standby to ON (playing position) with the volume all the way down. since your not actually reading anything it should not matter.

• Members

Billy,
I had a JSX for a couple of years,
I have a Mark III and a 6505+.
the JSX will sound very thin compared to the 6505+ or the Mark III.
I loved my JSX (well I thought I did), but I sold it literally 2 weeks after I got my Mark III.
I don't think that's the amp that will make you happy

• Members

Billy,

I had a JSX for a couple of years,

I have a Mark III and a 6505+.

the JSX will sound very thin compared to the 6505+ or the Mark III.

I loved my JSX (well I thought I did), but I sold it literally 2 weeks after I got my Mark III.

I don't think that's the amp that will make you happy

yeah what would really make me happy is another Mark III :cry:

• Members
scorpion, when you actually bias an amp and are actually reading the bias with a meter it needs to be connected to a cabinet and guitar, let it warm up for about 5 minutes, then switch it from standby to ON (playing position) with the volume all the way down. since your not actually reading anything it should not matter.

Awesome - Kse is now giving amp bias adjustment instructions on here .........

that gets a :facepalm:

Archived